Universal Fantasy- The Magician

.traveller.

Now I haven't worked with this fellow much, although he did appear in a reading of mine. I figure now is as good a time as any to open the floor up for discussion.
To me, he looks like he is setting a trap or lure to capture something he desires, however he may also be uncovering/ressurrecting something that was previously hidden. The cube of stone makes a direct reference to the material plane in my mind. Any thoughts?

Apocalipstick

I'm going to pop in here, since I happen to have access to this deck for the time being.

To me, the most striking feature of the card is the disturbance this Magician is causing. Vegetation is falling apart and he looks so very satisfied, seemingly unaware of anything else going on, particularly the darkly forested background (is it just me, or does the leftmost tree look like it has an ominous grin going on?). He sees none of that. It's just him and the spell he's weaving.

This seems to enhance the self-absorption qualities of the Magician. This guy is good, and he knows it! He has no problems showing it, consequences be damned.

The other aspect of interest here is the suit symbols carved into the top of the stone cube. It's not just objects this Magician plays with--he's attempting to manipulate symbols, which makes him, depending on situation, either fearsome or foolhardy.

Interesting variation on the card, I must say.

.traveller.

It is interesting to note that he is indeed manipulating symbols of objects that are in turn, symbols themselves, rather than work with the elements directly. That would make him twice removed from the power which he seeks to harness.
In the Fool thread, the purple flag was brought up as a symbol that seems to reappear in various forms throughout the deck. If this indeed is the case, what can we make of the purple cloak of this Magician? A symbol of potential not fully understood?

Shuvano

I see The Magician illustrated in this deck as a fantastical modern Merlin.....using magick to clear away the debris of overgrown vegetation and restoring balance to the 4 elements portayed on the stone altar. What other tricks and magic awaits us in his magickal bag strapped on his belt?!? Is it truly magic and a manipulation of forces, or is it sleight of hand and that is why he is wearing gloves?!?

dancing_moon

For me, this is a very neat Magician. :) He seems to be wearing the Fool's purple flag - only the Magician knows what that is! - and the Fool's gloves.

The fact that the vegetation seems to be withering and falling apart around his table is very interesting. The way I see it, the physical (over)abundance of plants is the 'lower', heavier kind of energy, and with the Magician's help, it's transforming into something much more refined, concentrated and powerful, leaving the empty shell behind.

The stone 'table' (altar?..) with the carved symbols seems to be only a tool, just like the many other things lying hidden in the Magician's belt pouches. It's an invitation for the powers of the elements to come and help him with the transformation.

KristinCali

The other aspect of interest here is the suit symbols carved into the top of the stone cube. It's not just objects this Magician plays with--he's attempting to manipulate symbols, which makes him, depending on situation, either fearsome or foolhardy.

Hmmm I didn't think of it that way, very good input. I think he's more fearsome to me.

KristinCali

I just had the thought, since the vegetation is falling away, maybe he is uncovering this cube. Was it hidden beneath the greenery in this forest?