Psychic Faire Questions

Debra

If only you talk--here's the card, here's what it means, thank you goodbye--you can say something in five minutes.

If you read by exploring the cards with the sitter, it's too little time.

I don't much like the first approach, personally.

Umbrae

Debra - this is psychic faire stuff, not in-depth hugely personal therapeutic reading situations.

So no – you or bigcaat would neither like nor perhaps do well in or at a psychic faire situation. But that’s the topic here.

Which is why at a Psychic Faire, you make sure every sitter gets a flyer and or a card so they can contact you later to have a sit down spend some time over tea perhaps and dig into what the Tarot really has to offer.

You do the best you can in the time frame utilized.

Some bigger more professional Fairs do not dictate time periods for individual sitters. They are venues that should be sought out.

Even so, at some of the smaller fairs I attend currently, I see only one reader who does one hour sittings – she does no Tarot.

Debra

I agree completely (quick, get the smelling salts! or better yet...the Scotch!).

Debra said:
for a faire, shorter might be better. It's a fun-oriented event, not really the setting for heavy questions in my opinion. You could always give out your business card for a follow-up reading. That's what I did at the benefit--when someone asked for a fuller reading, I told them to come see me another day.

Fast readings in a "fun-filled atmosphere" are a different kind o'animal.

satinangel

Actually, I do remember at a recent (in September), larger fair venue here, a gal came to me and said she only had 5 minutes. I said "Have a seat...I'll talk fast!" We did a 5 card horseshoe in 5 minutes.

Long story short...I've read for her 3 times since then.

Sheri

bigcaat said:
Edited to add: I forgot to ask, if you want to offer full readings, say a 10 card hour reading, along with the mini readings, how to you schedule it? Do you have sign-up sheets for people? How do you organized the sheets so that people can sign up and know when to return for their reading at the proper time, if not all readings are the same time frame?

Thanks,
C.

ALL the readings I give are "full" readings, regardless of how long they take or how many cards are used.

I would not do hour long readings at a fair unless you are only working with regular clientele ("premade" appointments, not walk up or new customers). It's a lot to ask someone who is attending a fair to "hang around" for an hour or more until their name is reached on a sign up sheet.

:love: valeria

Eddie

I have done quite a few fairs now and have found that most of the people that come do not treat these fairs as " a fun place to have readings" they come with serious issues which need answers and quite honestly five minutes just won't do.
Half hours seem to be the norm and at most fairs readers wonder round, speaking to other readings and coming to an agreement on an across the board charge, we nearly always include a short 10 minute reading for those short of cash.
At my last fair I had a lady who was unable to conceive, she was very distraught and in tears, how can anyone then only offer her five minutes. These aren't just venues where WE can practice tarot, these are venues where people come to seek answers to some very important issues in their lives. As readers, we must never forget this.
I have never attended a fair where it is so structured that it dictates the time you can spend on readings, very often it is up to the readers, how many they feel they can do in a day and ultimately, it is down to how many will walk thru the doors on that day.
Eddie

bigcaat

Eddie said:
I have done quite a few fairs now and have found that most of the people that come do not treat these fairs as " a fun place to have readings" they come with serious issues which need answers and quite honestly five minutes just won't do.

Half hours seem to be the norm and at most fairs readers wonder round, speaking to other readings and coming to an agreement on an across the board charge, we nearly always include a short 10 minute reading for those short of cash.

At my last fair I had a lady who was unable to conceive, she was very distraught and in tears, how can anyone then only offer her five minutes. These aren't just venues where WE can practice tarot, these are venues where people come to seek answers to some very important issues in their lives. As readers, we must never forget this.

I have never attended a fair where it is so structured that it dictates the time you can spend on readings, very often it is up to the readers, how many they feel they can do in a day and ultimately, it is down to how many will walk thru the doors on that day.
Eddie
Very well put. I couldn't agree more. I guess it's those types of fairs I need to ask my guides for and seek. I don't believe the purpose of fairs is to give out cards and nab clients because you haven't given them enough in the time alloted.

Giving out cards is fine, but I want clients coming back to me because I have helped them, not because I have teased them or they are desperate.

I guess everyone has different styles, that's just not mine.

Caat

Umbrae

bigcaat said:
I guess everyone has different styles, that's just not mine.

Caat

Every faire producer creates a different 'faiire'.

I've read in good ones and bad ones.

I"d love to read in the UK faires that Eddie talks about. Reading in UK produced faires is different on many levels than US faires. I’d prefer the former to the latter but…

We make the best of the hand we are dealt.

Apollonia

satinangel said:
Actually, I do remember at a recent (in September), larger fair venue here, a gal came to me and said she only had 5 minutes. I said "Have a seat...I'll talk fast!" We did a 5 card horseshoe in 5 minutes.

Long story short...I've read for her 3 times since then.

And now I've had my practice on a five minute reading, too, as a woman walked in on Saturday and could only do five minutes--I ended up doing a Celtic Cross, plus extra timing cards, and she was very satisfied, and returned the next day for a longer reading. So thank you, Universe, for giving me a trial run, so I know it can work.