Victorian Flower Oracle: Cornflower and Poppy

.traveller.

Cornflower and Poppy
an Admirer

Cornflower and Poppy are being entertained by a grasshopper and a cricket in a field. The grasshopper has a ratchet, the cricket a violin.

The whole scene has a very lowbrow look to it, a very unsophisticated date. Simple pleasures, a country courtship. Cornflowers were worn by young men, if the flower faded quickly it meant that their love was not returned. Cornflower could represent someone of Prussian, German, or Austrian descent, whilst the field Poppy might be a Brit.

Barbaras Ahajusts

Just like those little buggers to think they could win this beauty. At least her friend is trying to keep her friends eyes off the noisy critters!
Or is she the one who is trying to mix it up with the cricket?:D

If you do turn your head to his direction, you might starts some fuss with others. Although, the attention sure is nice. ;)

Barbara

moderndayruth

.traveller. said:
Cornflower and Poppy
an Admirer

Cornflower and Poppy are being entertained by a grasshopper and a cricket in a field. The grasshopper has a ratchet, the cricket a violin.
The illustration reminded me of the The Ant and Grasshopper fable illustrations. ;)

A modern satirical version of the story, in circulation since at least 2002, has the grasshopper calling a press conference at the beginning of the winter to complain about socio-economic inequity, and being given the ant's house.

W. Somerset Maugham wrote a short story, published in 1960, titled "The Ant and The Grasshopper". It concerns two brothers, one of whom is a hard worker, and the other a dissolute moocher. At the end of the story, the "grasshopper" brother marries a rich widow, who promptly dies and leaves him a fortune.

From wiki entry.

Hmmm, dating up/ dating down comes to my mind.

Jewel

I really like this card, I can't help but to smile when I look at it.

The emotional feel of the card is joyous. One of those days that you can just let your guard down and be one with the moment.

The physical manifestation of the card to me is a smile or someone lightly tickling you in a pleasant manner. The friendship, the music, just lovely and happy.

Spiritually I find the card uplifting. The flower ladies have discovered another beautiful gift of nature (the music). One that speaks to their souls and brings them closer to their enviroment and those that exist within it.

What I find most appealing about this card are the musicians, the grasshopper and the cricket. The are so cute and seem so professional *LOL*.

What I find most unapealing about the card is the almost white sky. It seems a bit cold and out of place with the whole scene.

The card is titled "An Admirer", and I ca see the ladies as admiring the scene and the talent of the musicians. So to me this card is really about admiring the talents of others. But it is also about discovering some simple magic of the world. Really finding appreciation for something that has been in front of your face or in your proverbial backyard all along and gone unnoticed. Something that adds a little wonder to your existance.

After reading the companion book I still hold to my perceptions in the above parragraph. I can see where the music played could also be a tribute to the beauty of the flower ladies, but I guess I just see the card more as appreciation of others' talents or way of being than admiration in a flirty sense.