Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

reversals ISIS TdM

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Marseilles & Other Early Decks

Citizen

nuttyprofessor 
Citizen
reversals ISIS TdM

I like to use reversals, but feel uneasy with the fact that several minors are almost perfectly symmetrical. The ISIS version has a little subscript logo on every card, but it gives me an artificial feeling of being reversed. On their website they give an example (http://www.isis-osiris.jp/english/read.html) how to read with reversals, though it shows only the major arcana.

They offer several courses, and also one to read with the minors. So I wonder how the creators of this deck deal with reversed minors themselves.

I know there is a deck that has roman numerals on the TdM pipcards, and I like to know which version that is.

I also would like to know which
Top   #1
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

My Fournier TdM has roman numerals on all the pip cards (but also very non-traditional colors, if that's important to you), although I've been gravitating away from using reversals with the TdM even though I use them with most other decks where the "system" doesn't discourage them. The numeric and suit associations seem to be sufficient for interpretation (or so I've been trying to convince myself )
Top   #2
Citizen

nuttyprofessor 
Citizen

A little bit foolish of me. I mean minors with only one numeral.
Top   #3
Citizen

ihcoyc 
Citizen

Symmetrical cards add nuance to reversals IMO. The workaday Batons don't change much for being one side up or another. The emotional Cups are subject to a full range of ups and downs. With Swords and Coins it's more complicated, but odd cards are likelier to be reversible than evens. With Swords, the odd cards either have grips you can hold, or points aimed at you.
Top   #4
Citizen

Lee 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprofessor View Post
A little bit foolish of me. I mean minors with only one numeral.
Both Fournier TdM decks (the Fournier Marseille and the Spanish Tarot) have pips with Roman numbers at only the bottom of the card, so they easily provide visual indication of being upright or reversed.
Top   #5
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Both Fournier TdM decks (the Fournier Marseille and the Spanish Tarot) have pips with Roman numbers at only the bottom of the card, so they easily provide visual indication of being upright or reversed.
This is what I was trying to say but didn't do a very good job of it.
Top   #6
Citizen

nuttyprofessor 
Citizen

It's not bad to get the message twice. Thanks all.

By the way, I wished I could swap the ISIS for the Fournier with someone.
Top   #7
Citizen

Lee 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprofessor View Post
By the way, I wished I could swap the ISIS for the Fournier with someone.
The ISIS and the Fournier are both great decks (the Spanish Tarot too). I say get the Fournier and keep the ISIS!
Top   #8
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

I intend to get the Spanish Tarot too so I will have two complementary decks to use in two-deck spreads like I did yesterday for my Super Bowl prediction. The ISIS is probably a bit farther down the road. By the way, looking for subtle variations in the pips that don't have an obvious clue to reversed direction is a bit like those "What's the difference in these pictures?" newspaper cartoon puzzles. They seem to be there in almost every case, but you really have to look for some of them.
Top   #9
Le Mat

Richard 
Le Mat

I'm trying to understand why one would want to distinguish between upright and reversed when it is impossible to determine this. If one is using a set of meanings which insist on reversals, then it seems obvious to me that these meanings are inappropriate (and indeed inapplicable) for such cards. Am I missing something?

Here is the Three of Batons from the mini Grimaud TdM.
Attached Images

Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.