Selena Fenech's "Fairy Philosophies" deck

karen0205

I just got the Oracle deck on ebay for $17.95 and $6.75 shipping from Washington State. It was the cheapest I could find it anywhere and the seller had it as a 'buy it now' thing so I didn't have to bid against anyone else. The seller has a lot of Selina Fenech items and she might have more. Her seller id on ebay is 'fairyconnection'. You can look her up and check her auctions. I thought it was a beautiful deck and I have just recently found oracle decks and love them. I wasn't too interested in the Fairy Cards because I'm not a fairy person but they looked pretty too. I haven't gotten mine yet but they look pretty. I saw them on her website and they were a lot more. Karen

Jewel

Myrrha said:
It doesn't look like there are more than a couple or mermies per deck though, maybe you'd be better off buying a couple of small prints?
I know ... I might do that. But her artwork in general is very pretty. I am so cunfused .... *LOL*

Myrrha

karen0205 said:
I just got the Oracle deck on ebay for $17.95 and $6.75 shipping from Washington State. It was the cheapest I could find it anywhere and the seller had it as a 'buy it now' thing so I didn't have to bid against anyone else. The seller has a lot of Selina Fenech items and she might have more. Her seller id on ebay is 'fairyconnection'. You can look her up and check her auctions. I thought it was a beautiful deck and I have just recently found oracle decks and love them. I wasn't too interested in the Fairy Cards because I'm not a fairy person but they looked pretty too. I haven't gotten mine yet but they look pretty. I saw them on her website and they were a lot more. Karen

Oh, you got them!
but aren't there quite a few fairies in the oracle deck for a non-fairy person?

Although each deck seems to have something of a mix: fairies, mermies, a unicorn, elves, dragons. The only ones I don't care for are the baby pictures, "pretty in pink" or "little boy blue" that kind of thing.

well, I'm confused too, maybe I'll ask one of my other fairy decks what to do. I know what they will say: Fairy Pack: "clean your room!" Froud Faeries: "bake bread with us and then paint... and yes, we always want more friends but not those LS Feys..."

--Myrrha

karen0205

Myrrha,
I opened my Oracle cards by Selina today and I'm not that sure what to think. First, they come in an organza bag which is nice but they throw star confetti in the bag and it was all stuck to the cards - ugghhh. Pain to get off. Took me a long time to pick every one of those stupid stars off my cards because of the static in the bag. Then you have to try and get the left overs out of the bag. Very irritating. I'm still finding stars in the carpet.

The cards themselves are nice, I like most of the artwork. The quality of the cards isn't as nice as I would have hoped. They are very thin and papery. They don't feel like they would hold up well to a lot of use. They bend easily too.

As far as the designs, I like them but there are quite a few fairys or angels. Out of 32 cards, only 6 do not have a woman on them and those are kind of odd and don't seem to go with the rest of the deck. One is the greenman face (with a woman on it), one a guy angel, 2 babies and 2 unicorns. I would have liked to seen less women and more animals or other nature themed art like the greenman. Some of the cards are black and white too. Sort of distracting when looking through all the colorful cards. Just my opinion. I don't know how much I will use this deck, I might wind up trading it. I was hoping for a higher quality feeling deck especially when the deck is costly.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I offended anyone who's a big fan of this deck.
Karen

Myrrha

karen0205 said:
Myrrha,
I opened my Oracle cards by Selina today and I'm not that sure what to think. First, they come in an organza bag which is nice but they throw star confetti in the bag and it was all stuck to the cards - ugghhh. Pain to get off. Took me a long time to pick every one of those stupid stars off my cards because of the static in the bag. Then you have to try and get the left overs out of the bag. Very irritating. I'm still finding stars in the carpet.

The cards themselves are nice, I like most of the artwork. The quality of the cards isn't as nice as I would have hoped. They are very thin and papery. They don't feel like they would hold up well to a lot of use. They bend easily too.

As far as the designs, I like them but there are quite a few fairys or angels. Out of 32 cards, only 6 do not have a woman on them and those are kind of odd and don't seem to go with the rest of the deck. One is the greenman face (with a woman on it), one a guy angel, 2 babies and 2 unicorns. I would have liked to seen less women and more animals or other nature themed art like the greenman. Some of the cards are black and white too. Sort of distracting when looking through all the colorful cards. Just my opinion. I don't know how much I will use this deck, I might wind up trading it. I was hoping for a higher quality feeling deck especially when the deck is costly.

Thanks for reading, sorry if I offended anyone who's a big fan of this deck.
Karen

Thank you for taking time to write such a thorough review. The fairy philosophies looked more interesting to me (more nature fairies) but the thin, papery cards could really be an issue.

I love it when things have glitter or stars though, I'd probably just leave it in the bag and enjoy it when it gets stuck to the cards.

-Myrrha

Jewel

Karen0205, thanks for your honest review of the deck. I do not think it was offensive in any way to any one. I think I will pass on buying the deck, but might pick it up in a trade if the opportunity presents itself, but if it doesn't no big deal.

The stars in the bag thing would drive me crazy. My luck they would get scattered all over the place and I would be finding them for weeks! If I were to get the deck in trade someone else would have already dealt with the stars so there is another good reason to wait *LOL*.

Maybe I'll just order those mermaid note cards afterall ...

karen0205

Glad no one was offended. I'm sure there are people who just love that deck. I was really disappointed by how thin and papery the cards were. I think that was my major disappointment, the stars were more of an irritant and they are now, as I said, all over the carpet being picked up one by one when they sparkle as I walk by. Vacuum didn't work either. The points of the stars sticks in the carpet and they refuse to budge!

I would prefer to know ahead of time if a deck I am looking at doesn't feel good in your hands. I like the slick, thin, easily sliding cards. I know not all decks are like that and it's ok but I find that I use them less.

Karen

Venus Moon

Tonight I ordered her Oracle cards :) I want her Philosophy and Guidance decks too, but I'm going to order those directly from her site as I want some charms, bookmarks and a mouse pad too.

I just love her work!

Venus Moon

karen0205 said:
Glad no one was offended. I'm sure there are people who just love that deck. I was really disappointed by how thin and papery the cards were. I think that was my major disappointment, the stars were more of an irritant and they are now, as I said, all over the carpet being picked up one by one when they sparkle as I walk by. Vacuum didn't work either. The points of the stars sticks in the carpet and they refuse to budge!

I would prefer to know ahead of time if a deck I am looking at doesn't feel good in your hands. I like the slick, thin, easily sliding cards. I know not all decks are like that and it's ok but I find that I use them less.

Karen

A few days ago I recieved all 3 of her decks and I LOVE them!! I wanted to comment that perhaps your set of cards were from an earlier bacth or something as all 3 decks have very high-quality cardstock and are sturdy and feel silky smooth, great to shuffle! Reading your posts before I was worried! But the cardstock is obviously different now.

Also there were no star conffeti in any of the bags. I did get my decks directly from the artist, so maybe that's why? Could your deck have been a 'copy' of one of her decks and that's why the card quality was so crappy? You said it was more like paper and wasn't slick and bended easily. My decks are very the opposite!

And as far as being similar to Doreen Virtue decks, these are vastly better! The art is so gorgeous and spellbinding. I do enjoy some of Virtues deck, but the art in each one is so hit and miss, the Selina Fenech decks are ALL gorgeous and she is such a versitale artist.

So yes, I am really loving these decks. And they go great together, so a 94 card faery, mermaid and unicorn oracle! :D