One Deck Wonder

RichardDirt

I've been using the 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card book with my Victorian Romantic for this project and I've had great success with it so far. I need some structure, otherwise, I would never learn, and just doing readings doesn't seem to help me.

OwlShadow

Thanks Peace_Pixie! Well, it's been one week. I had a moment of weakness Sunday. I got The World Spirit Tarot for Mother's Day and had to look at it. However, I am proud to say after looking at all the beautiful cards I put them back in the box and buried it in a big box with the rest of my decks. It wasn't easy though, what a beautiful deck!

EarthAngel2911

Update here... I'm still working with my Universal Fantasy Tarot, and I have to admit that being part of another group's structured study helps me stay on task. The moderator reviews four cards every few days (Aces, Twos, Threes, etc.), and we're still not done since beginning at the first of April. We've covered the Minors and we just started on the Pages and Knights, but we have yet to do the Majors (which will probably be reviewed two at a time).

Anyway, I don't know how I would be able to thoroughly study a deck in just one or two months! :) And even after I've "studied" a set of cards, I don't completely feel comfortable with them until I've pulled them in a few readings and can see them in action. The Five of Swords was puzzling me, but after pulling it in a couple of readings, I thought I was finally getting to know it. Well, it's been showing up again, very often in the past few days. And in one reading I did this morning regarding a disagreement a co-worker and I had, it showed up as a totally new meaning to me.

I've also noticed that even though I get urges to use other decks, and I just purchased another deck that should be here tomorrow, I don't really feel comfortable with the thought of actually using another deck. This deck is becoming my comfort deck. Now when things happen during my day and I relate it to a specific tarot card, I see these UFT images instead of the RWS images.

What a great exercise! I can see where sticking with it can really yield wonderful results! :D

lunakasha

Victorian Romantic Day#48

EarthAngel2911 said:
Update here... I'm still working with my Universal Fantasy Tarot, and I have to admit that being part of another group's structured study helps me stay on task. The moderator reviews four cards every few days (Aces, Twos, Threes, etc.), and we're still not done since beginning at the first of April.

I think maybe this would be a good way for me to get more involved with my deck....I know that there are a number of study threads for the Victorian Romantic.

Not to sound repetitive, LOL....but since my last post here, I have only worked with the cards maybe two or three times. It is not that I am "cheating" with another deck, I simply have not been setting aside time for any tarot work lately.....and I miss it. I mean, REALLY miss it!

I think I will have to make a conscious effort to set aside that time, as I did during the initial 30 days of this exercise, and actually even prior to the ODW, when I was playing with the Spirit Wheel and Transformation decks. :D

As much as I have enjoyed this study, and will always feel a special bond with the VR deck as a result of the ODW....I am getting the itch to spend some quality time with another, very different deck.

For me it will be "ODW II--the Pips"....coming soon! })

:) Luna

Sheri

Day #48 with International Icon Tarot

I think I have gotten over my initial itches to work with other Tarot decks. Focusing on this deck and forcing myself to use it for reading exchanges and study groups helped get other decks out of my head.

I can't believe that it's been 48 days since I started. The deck still clumps a bit, but I stay aware of it when shuffling and pay extra attention to mixing the cards.

I think the 21 Ways study group is a bit too in depth for me - and it's alot of work for just one card at a time :) so I think I am going to continue the study by doing readings in the exchange. But I strongly recommend it if you have an 'alien' looking deck and want to do an indepth analysis of each card - the techniques are very thorough!

:love: valeria

connegrl

Well I have to confess....I have fallen off the wagon. I did make it 6 weeks. LOL Mostly what happened is burnout. I've had tons of weighty stuff going on and it just got to be too much. I dithered around and thought it would pass, but no it hasn't. I'm currently back to reading with my IIT. The Vanessa is on its way. I just need to have something in my life that is lighthearted and easy. If I only had the Soprafino/Ancient Italian right now, I'd put it up and not use it at all. I don't want to do that, so I'm going to just take a bit of a break from the deep study stuff or anything that really requires *thinking*. I just want to either look at the cards and know what they mean or I want to look at the cards and laugh.

So another person off the wagon! But, I've learned some important things. First of all, my preference is to work with one deck at a time. I don't seem to be a person who flits back and forth between decks. I have a better sense for what decks work for me and when they work for me. I'm also a bit more comfortable with working within my own system. Non scenic pips are freeing, but they're also hard work right now. I'll be returning to them. Our work is unfinished!

Jen

OwlShadow

sravana said:
It's nice to have so many choices, and to be able to just settle on *one* *thing*. :)

It's such a time saver too, lol! I used to spend so much time just trying to decide which deck I wanted to use. Now it's easy I just pick up my Spiral.

OwlShadow

sravana said:
That being said... I've been interested in doing some larger spreads, and found that trying to do them with MAAT was too much for me right now - too much information that I'm not sure what do to with, because the deck is unfamiliar. I'm tempted to pull out the Golden or the Universal Waite, just to get a handle on some issues in my life.

But I haven't.

Yet!

When I'm getting familiar with a deck I usually only do 3 or 5 card spreads, because I get a bit overwhelmed with the new imagery. I've been tempted a few times to pull out a more familiar deck so I could do a more indepth reading, but I've haven't yet either. I'm only on my second week! Does it get easier?