Why do some people not like the Original Rider Waite deck?

Richard

Smith-Waite Centennial?
Probably. There needs to be some agreement about this. Some people still call it the PCS Commemorative, which, strictly speaking, is the name of the entire set, including books, pictures, and the Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot deck.

Terrapin

I like the Original RWS very much. My only gripe is the Magician's faced is blurry. As for magic, even though the colors were machine produced, the colors seem to really connect with my brain in a stimulating way--way more so than the PCS Centennial (which is beautiful, but the Original is a better reading deck for me.) I have a printed in China version. Really nice card stock. Love the weird green skies and the vibrant reds. I feel it is the most mysterious of the all the RWS decks.

Le Fanu

Probably. There needs to be some agreement about this. Some people still call it the PCS Commemorative, which, strictly speaking, is the name of the entire set, including books, pictures, and the Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot deck.
Yes! The (ok, I'll use abbreviations too) PCS for me is the U.S games boxed set. The centennial for me is the Lo Scarabeo one. These are getting mixe up. The box on the US Games set doesn't call it the Smith Waite Centenial does it? I've never seen that expression for this deck.

For me there's the Commemorative (U.S Games) and the Centennial (that LoS deck).

Terrapin

Yes, apologies, I am contributing to confusion. I meant the PCS Commemorative (not Centennial) in my post comparing it to the Original. Thank you.

Essence of Winter

Interesting replies from everyone. I'm glad to see that the Original deck also has its proponents. I love all of the Rider decks I have and don't really have a preference for any particular one.

I recently ordered the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative set. When I first learned about it I knew that I had to have it and I decided to order it while it is still easy to find.

NocturnalRabbit

Personally I find that the colours and style of images is just plain off. I prefer working with darker/smoky colours and the Rider Waite deck simply doesn't sit well with me.

Aeric

Original is variously described as muddy, murky, dirty, hazy, smoky. Nothing about it tries to be crisp or bright or draw the eye instantly, except where there are pops of bold, unlined colour here and there, like the pattern on the 9P lady's dress or the grapes on KingP's robe.

My eyes have to search each Original card for about half a second before they lock onto something, whereas Rider-Waite and even Golden Rider's bolder, brighter colours instantly dart my eyes to some detail as soon as I turn a card.

Richard

.....The box on the US Games set doesn't call it the Smith Waite Centenial does it? I've never seen that expression for this deck.....

Officially, it's the PCS Commemorative Set, featuring the Smith-Waite Tarot Centennial Edition deck. Scroll to the bottom of the attachment.

Attachments

• pcs.jpg
    pcs.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 219

Richard

Yes, apologies, I am contributing to confusion. I meant the PCS Commemorative (not Centennial) in my post comparing it to the Original. Thank you.
You were right the first time. :D