Four of Wands

Little Baron

Can anyone help me with this one?

How do you read it?

It was my daily draw and in my journal, I wrote -
"Fours, for me, represent stability. They remind me of the
home (house), the family (mother, father, son and
daughter), security, the four suits of the tarot.
In this image, four wands are sunk into the ground to make
some kind of gateway. They are draped in flowers and have
been decorated for some kind of occasion.
In the background, a large castle can be seen and people
are in the distance. Nearer, I can see two people, but I
cannot see whether they are male or female. They are
holding up more flowers and foliage and it seems as if they
are waving at me. This could be a wedding or some kind of
celebration.
I was wondering if the 'fire-like' construction made is just
a temporary thing; that it wouldn't last as long if it was made
from Earthy Pentacles. Maybe this card speaks of things that
may have as short a shelf-life as the plants and flowers that
decorate the wands."

Any help with this one would be much appreciated. Of course,
in a reading, it helps to look at other cards, but I was wondering
if anyone had feelings about this card and how they would
influence a reading.

Regards

LB

firemaiden

Thank you for starting this thread LittleBuddha. I am eager to hear the opinion of some of our experts. All I can think of when I see this card is duhhh... marriage. Though the four wands are not perfectly covered , the garlands which hang from them like a sort of "bridge", nevertheless, remind me of a marriage canopy, particularly - the Jewish Chuppa.

About the Chuppa:

quoting from Jewish Wedding Customs and their Origins:

• "The chuppah or bridal canopy is perhaps the central tradition at most Jewish weddings. Usually it is made of ornamented satin, or velvet -- supported by four poles. Marriage ceremonies in the Middle Ages customarily took place outdoors, as an omen that the marriage should be blessed with as many children as stars in the heavens. To make a space separate from the surrounding marketplace, the rabbis sanctioned the use of a chuppah. Time and creativity have "turned it into" a variety of other similar structures. The original meaning of the word was "room" or "covering" from the phrase in the Bible: "Let the bridegroom go forth from his chamber and the bride out of her pavilion (chuppah) (Joel 2:16). The chuppah symbolizes the new Jewish home that the couple creates together. It may also have origin is in the reference in the Bible to the bridal bower in which the newlywed couple were confined at the end of the wedding ceremony. In the Middle Ages the custom evolved into a cloth, or outer covering, that was spread over the bridal couple as a means of protecting them from demonic harm and the evil eye. Some believe that It is reminiscent of the tents of the ancient Hebrews."

And here is an interesting site Mystical Symbolism of Ches - Marriage.

This site shows us that the word for Marriage - Ches, is also a letter with the shape suggestive of a Chuppa, and it symbolises the bridge of God, linking the feminine and the masculine. Quoting:

• "Ches is the eighth letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The original ches in the Torah script is a fusion of the preceding two letters: vav and zayin. On top of the vav and zayin is a chatoteres, a bridge that unites the two. In essence, vav represents the male, the husband, while Zayin represents the female, the wife. The bridge on top that unites and links the two is G-d."

Rusty Neon

LittleBuddha said:
I was wondering if the 'fire-like' construction made is just
a temporary thing; that it wouldn't last as long if it was made
from Earthy Pentacles. Maybe this card speaks of things that
may have as short a shelf-life as the plants and flowers that
decorate the wands."

At the 4 of Wands stage, one may reach a state of stability (Four) after effort (Wands). However, Four can't be a culmination as there are further numbers remaining in the series Ace to Ten. Thus, however comfortable and stable things may be, one sometimes has to decide to move on or circumstances can dictate having to move on.

caridwen

Is the Three of Wands a bachelor reflecting on his past life, before he moves into the next stage of his life - marriage? Then the Five could represent arguments, things not quite right as they settle down into their new life together?

To me, the Four isn't marriage but it could represent an anniversary or some kind of celebration. Red Roses can represent cultural activities as well as desire and Venus. The Red Roses here look very festive, some kind of celebration and the jubilation of the event. I'm not sure if the people in the background are dancing or not. There is also a feeling of something having been won. Like the Olympic gold medallists coming back to their native country and celebrating - you can imagine how they'd feel at that moment.

The feeling made even sweeter by having to overcome something to get there. Look at the other card in the deck with a similar white bridge: The Five of Cups. Is this what lays on the other side of that stream? Except that barren castle from the five is alive with laughter and jubilation. That bridge goes two ways and it had to be crossed to experience the four and also the five.

The Four is something that has been built on and established, not something that happens by luck or chance. Yet it could mean the feeling you have when you win the lottery. Both figures are wearing what look like victory wreaths although this victory is shared, unlike the Six, which is a sole victory.

The sky is yellow as the Sun. Indicating a wondrous zest for life and energy. It's a very conscious colour again indicating that this is a victory that has been worked towards making the feeling even more thrilling.

One of the figures wears a green robe that could indicate fertility - birth of a child perhaps? But also stability and healing - the feeling you may have when you've been given the all clear by the doctor and now anything seems possible. Having freed yourself from something and feeling the sky is your limit; whether that is ill health or in actual fact, being released from prison. Coming out of a restricting environment or relationship, breathing the fresh air for the first time in a while and savouring the moment.

firemaiden

more ramblings ...

What is a four geometrically? I know there are many ways of thinking of the geometry. But, if we think of "one" as a point, two as a line, three as a triangle (a plane), then four adds the third dimension, the vertical.

For me this new dimension ties in very nicely with the concept of the bridge of garlands between the four wands --- As explained on the website (linked in my post above), the Chuppa, represents the third party above the earthly plane -- of God, which must unite, protect, and nourish the fire of passion between man and woman.

Furthermore, if fours describe a structure, like the four walls of a house, and the wands are "spirit" (as opposed to "mind" of the swords) then the four of wands could mean, a "house of spirit" - not just a place of worship, but a place (within, or without) where one can be suffused with spirit.

The four wands are also like the proverbial four tent-stakes which anchor, and pin reality down to four corners. The four wands delineate and anchor a space, into which the sacred (or even the magical) can manifest.

*firemaiden goes off in search of a quote from Mircea Eliade about sacred architecture...*

caridwen

Beginning with The Emperor, it's also interesting to compare all four pips.

The Emperor sits, in his four squared world, sternly looking out and directing all he surveys. His Crux Ansata a mixture of Male/Female and Osiris/Isis - held firmly in his right hand. In his left, passive hand he holds the Globe of Domination - showing that it is only through the spirit of love that he can rule through balance of spirit and matter.

The Fourth Sefira: Mercy. Magical Image: Crowned and Enthroned King.

Someone who can control but can also be controlled - he must maintain balance between the active/passive principles. It is only through compassion that one can show mercy. He orders or sets to rights, the natural flow of the Empress. He sits between the Empress and the Hierophant.

Three of the pips show control - The four of Pentacles is too much control - he clings on to his possessions and material worth. The Four of Cups clings onto his emotions, he is so self absorbed that he doesn't see the cup being offered to him. The Four of Swords - gathers his strength, composes himself in spirituality. He is recuperating or taking time away from stress, gathering himself to go back into the frey.

Then we have the Four of Wands, as though all that has been pent up or blocked by the other three cards has been released and set free.

The Emperor's control can help you find the right path and focus. Once you have set your mind on something, he gives you the freedom to follow it. Once everything in your house is in order your possibilities are endless. Too much however, and you are blocked or restricted. The Four of Wands could show what you can achieve once you have directed your talent or energy towards something and here is the result. Celebrating your achievements.

Four also corresponds to the Hebrew word Daleth: Door or womb. A door can both open and close and stand midway. A womb is a place for gestation, similar to maybe the Four of Cups and the Four of Swords. The Four of Pentacles seems like a closed or blocked door and The Four of Wands is open and free flowing, similar in spirit to the more feminine side of the Empreror. So the Four of Pentacles and The Four of Wands stand almost in opposition and the other two stand midway.

The Emperor's planet, according to the Kabbalah is Jupiter. A sign of expansion, growth and co operation. The mountains in the background can represent our aspirations, lofty goals but also achievements. The rams heads on his firmly centred throne can represent Mars - a planet of action and the expression of will through activity.

caridwen

Side Notes:

It's also interesting as well to compare The Emperor with Khnum, God of childbirth. Shown as a potter working clay (shaping children in the womb). Some creation myths claim he formed the Cosmic Egg. Khnum is a potter, who molds the souls and bodies of all living things from the clay of the earth, and gives them the breath of life. He is sometimes shown with the head of a ram.

Since Khnum shaped children with clay, it would relate to the Hebrew Daleth which also refers to the womb.

And again, because of his ankh, the legend of Osiris: "The lord of all the Earth is born." Lord of the Earth would relate to the number Four. Osiris brought civilisation to his people, he gave them codes and laws by which to live and showed them how to properly honour the gods. Yet, Osiris's downfall was brought about by a box, in which he was trapped and thrown into the Nile.

He became the king of the world of the dead. There he stands in judgement over the souls of the dead. He commends the just to the Blessed Land, but the wicked he condemns to be devoured by Ammit.

Before he became the Lord of the Dead, his soul went into his wife, Isis, so for a time the two were united in one body. Their son Horus was born to avenge his father's death. When Horus wins, Maat is upheld and the world is at peace.

When Seth wins, the world is in turmoil. But we know that dark times do not last forever, and the bright rays of Horus will shine over us again. In the last days, Horus and Seth will fight one last time for the world. Horus will defeat Seth forever, and Osiris will be able to return to this world.

On that day, the Day of Awakening, (Judgement) all the tombs shall open and the just dead shall live again as we do, and all sorrow shall pass away forever. It is said that this battle of good verses evil still rages, but some day, Horus will be victorious and on that day, Osiris will return to rule the world.

Isis was a magician, possibly the archetype for The High Priestess. It's impossible to limit Isis to any one attribute as she possesses the powers of a water goddess (Sati), an earth goddess (Usert), a corn goddess (Anqet/Ankhet/Sekhet), a star goddess (Sept- Sirius), a queen of the Underworld, and a woman, and that she united in herself one or more of the attributes of all the goddesses of Egypt known to us.

As the great lady of the Underworld, who assisted in transforming the bodies of the blessed dead into those wherein they were to live in the realm of Osiris, she was Ament - the "hidden" goddess. As Ament she was declared to be the mother of Ra.

In this last capacity she shared with Osiris the attribute of 'giver of life,' and she provided food for the dead as well as for the living.

Umbrae

Oy – too many goyum on da bus.

Chuppa? Scuze me?

Look at the card!

That’s not a Chuppa!

It’s a sukkhah (or sukkhot - plural).

Sukkhot is a harvest festival. They build the Sukkhah. It’s where you spend your days, vulnerable, no walls, no doors (you don’t need windows if there are no walls).

Sleeping in the sukkhah is a testament to our trust in God.

It’s a thanksgiving celebration.

Of course in some ways a wedding and a harvest are similar…

Four represents stability, order, and structure, and material man. Fours suggest a time to create foundations for upcoming achievement.

They may also reflect a period of restriction and burdens where you feel you are faced with important decisions. Fours relate to self-discipline, and maintaining the status quo.

You need self-discipline and order and restriction to get to the harvest and have enough to harvest…it’s hard work.

This four is about the payoff. Not marriage.

ncefafn

Umbrae said:
Oy – too many goyum on da bus.

Chuppa? Scuze me?

Look at the card!

That’s not a Chuppa!

It’s a sukkhah (or sukkhot - plural).

Hmm. Every sukkah I've ever seen has been covered with corn stalks or bamboo reeds, supported by horizontal cross-beams. There's also a removable, usually canvas, wall on two sides. The structure in the Four of Wands is simply four vertical beams connected with garlands of flowers. It may not be a chuppah, but it's not like any sukkah I've ever seen or heard of.

firemaiden

That's right, ncefafn, you tell him. :D

LOL, Umbrae, goyim indeed. :p.

And I suppose you are going to tell us that the lady in the back-ground is not wearing a wedding dress, but a harvest dress? eh? eh? And what about the bouquet she is holding, and the garter that is being flung triumphantly about the card. (what? you don't see the garter?)