The A. Nonny Mouse Promotional Tarot Deck Parts I, II & III

truelighth

Ok, I coloured the second Knight of Swords too. With a bit different colour-scheme... I thought that would be nice to do. So they are different from eachother after all. We had to sign our AT name on the side of the card, right? Well.. if not, I did already... lol!

Anyway, they will be in the post to you in the next few days, Feretian!

Feretian

Somehow I missed a bunch of posts yesterday....and saw them this morning...

retrocat said:
Ha, I still MADE it (why do people always think digital is somehow less work? This took me 2 days!).

Oh no! I'm sorry if I made it sound that way...digital is fine if you can get it onto the card.

I admire art in any medium, and appreciate the process of bringing it into existence...I don't mean to marginalize any particular method.

I also didn't mean to be flip by saying "ask ciro', and then posting an inference that his card was done in "Sharpie"...I really hadn't seen the posts previous!

Oh, I've made a mouse-mash of this, haven't I?

retrocat said:
If the ruling ends up being that hand-drawn is required, I'll have another go.
No, hand-drawn is not required.

Ntezach said:
ETA: I feel strongly that, if there is a way, digital cards should be allowed.
They are allowed.

retrocat said:
****.......use any medium and surface then just print them into a deck that no card 'fell out of'.

This part is what I haven't been able to clearly articulate. And what I think makes it a unique collective deck.

This deck, being "handmade", brings each artist physically closer to the cards' user, as receiving a package from Nonny has a visceral effect unlike that of receiving good wishes from friends on the Forum. One's not better that the other, but they are profoundly different.

It doesn't mean that every card has to be spattered in sweat, tears, chocolatey fingerprints and stray strands of DNA; nor that each person's skills be compromised to produce a somehow "inferior" image...

retrokat said:
The only printer we have that will do such thick card is our inkjet-photo printer, and unfortunately the inks are not waterproof so apparently that's not an option either.

I am spraying the finished cards with a sealer, so print it and send it along.

Digital is fine.

:angel:

retrokat

lol, I'm Australian, so not easily offended :p (edited to add, when I lived in the US, I asked a friend why Americans were so damned polite. He replied 'because so many people carry guns here')

Jasper and I will have a go at getting the digital version onto a card, since it's SO much more my medium than a Sharpie! But if not, Alison kindly sent extra cards so you can use the crappy Sharpie ones if we can't get the digital to work well enough. Always good to have options :D

xxx

Feretian

I want the crappy Sharpie ones, too!

:p:p:p

blackroseivy

Ok, I am going to figure out a TRANSFER method.

There ARE ways...

But you have to use offset prints, I know, & NOT from "bubble-jets", which of course is LOUSY.

However, I'm going to attempt photo-transfer & then tell you how it goes, because I had some really INTERESTING things in mind for the 'puter that I can't do now... ><

ETA - sez "laser-print" in point of fact. NP, just go to the local print shoppe... ;)

cirom

retrokat said:
Ha, I still MADE it (why do people always think digital is somehow less work? This took me 2 days!). I can sign the printed version if wanted. At least because it's already digital you won't need to scan it to let everyone else who participated to get a copy :)

If the ruling ends up being that hand-drawn is required, I'll have another go.

I'm still hoping for advice about how the other digitally-made participants got it onto the card, flat and waterproof. I'm sure we'll manage it somehow!

I really haven't been keeping up with this thread on a regular basis, so my apologies for not responding earlier.

On the first point, yes its is fustraiting that something produced digitally is somehow consider a quick and easy way, but thats for anotehr topic I guess.

Second point, I think you're image is really beautiful in its own right, and two it oozes the retrokat style and character.

However I did encounter a certainly dilema. The earlier image I posted was also digital, but there were two issues. One was the reproduction, which did'nt work from my printer on this card stock. I'm sure it would be possible ironically on less high end ink jet printers, or as someone suggested spraying the card stock first. But to be honest I could'nt justify the time experimenting or risking the delicate nozzle heads of my printer with strange spray coatings. The other option was to print it out on a different stock and then sticking it onto the base card supplied. I got the impression from an earlier post that would be a no-no for nonny. Which I can understand.

So I simply did what everyone else was doing, a rather simple imagery very much limited by this most unfriendly paper card stock I've ever incountered. It did'nt seem to accept anything other than the crudest markers. So any attempt at detail or subtelty was a non starter. But at least I assumed everyone would be in the same boat so by keeping it simple there would at least be a relative visual common denominator among all the cards. Indeed any card that might have resulted from succesfully printing out a more complex image would kind of stand out too much ???

This project is a great idea and I don't wish to undermine it, but I would recommend that any follow up one with a similar contribution from members should allow for different media to be used. I'm sure that members here if given a freer hand as it were, would come up with a wonderfull eclectic range of imagery, created from playdoh to cross stitch and more fully express their individual creativity. Those could then be photographed or scanned and then reproduced.. Just a suggestion.

Feretian

Blackroseivy said:
This MIGHT be what we are all looking for.

Sheesh!

Bri, it costs twenty bucks.
You are an artist. You can make a beautiful image.
Or a cute one.
Or a funky one.
You don't need this transfer kit.

Feretian said:
This deck, being "handmade", brings each artist physically closer to the cards' user, as receiving a package from Nonny has a visceral effect unlike that of receiving good wishes from friends on the Forum. One's not better that the other, but they are profoundly different.

Cat*

As much as I can relate to the feelings of limitation, of not being able to really do one's best, of being stuck with an unloved method of drawing/image-making and less-than-ideal materials, I also have to say that this low-level DIY use-the-simplest-materials approach adds something very charming to the whole project. :)

Netzach

I'm still hoping that Ciro and Retrokat will find some way of printing their exquisite artwork onto the cards. Is there any way in which the surface of the cards can be abraded, so that the ink will 'stick'?