The Maiden 14

Satori

I think that the reason I don't see the Maiden in the way you all seem to is that for me, she is the ancient child. The wise child of innocence and wonder who represents the infinite amount of joy available to us in the Universe.

I know how cruel kids can be. I've been the geek, the un-cool one most of my younger life.

With the Maiden there is a wisdom in her eyes that speaks of something different than the typical child. I find her so intriguing because at first she was childlike to me. As she appears for me in readings and I see the wisdom and wrinkles around her eyes, I've been looking a little past the baby fat. She is like a little blond Buddha! Even the way she sits is very Buddha like. She doesn't hold herself like any child I've ever met.

For me, she embodies the purity we lose when we allow the world to rough us up. She knows cruelty, but she is never cruel. It just isn't in her to be cruel, even unknowingly. It is as if, she holds for us the innocence we have all shed thru our hurts. So her smile is not as big as it could be. I think she sees our pain and the more we try to comfort her or cuddle her or see her as the baby she is reaching back to us, giving back to us something we feel we've lost.

She isn't sitting there gurgling laughing roly-poly. There isn't even a mischievousness to her demeanor. She is waiting. She seems to be watching something and waiting...

I really need her in my deck because I think that for me I need something pure and untouched. I need to believe that there can exist something unsullied by the horror in this world. So coming from the Faery realm, and knowing how tricky the Fae can be, she is the peaceful reminder that we all need something that is what it looks like-love.

Jewel

It has been a very long time since the Maiden has accompanied me, but today I got her as my daily draw. In her honor I thuoght I would resurrect this thread.

What most stands out about this card for me today is her starlike halo (which I had not noticed before) and the energy rising from her crown chakra (the white lights) and on her feet. This reminds me a little bit of the tarot reference to the magician "as above so below". The Maiden although young does look very wise, and she is grounded even as she floats. She is definetly a happy faeire, and seems to want to spread light heartedness and joy. She also seems quiet to me, a comforting presence. Her smile is sweet and knowing and to me conveys the message to relax and enjoy the ride of the day in comfort because she is here to share it with me.

What are your thoughts on the Maiden?

Mi-Shell

Sory Everyone, but I have to say the Maiden is my least favorite card!
I feel she is somehow "way over the top" in a way that makes me cringe.
Like a spoiled brat!
Little Ms goooody goooody two shoes.....
some of you mentioned the cruelty kids can display -- I think this one can and will act out if she does not get whatever it is she wants - right then and there.

Jewel

Hi Mi-Shell, I was wondering if you did the least favorite card exercise using the Maiden, and if you did if you would not mind sharing it. What bothers you the most about the card?

Mi-Shell

Jewel said:
Hi Mi-Shell, I was wondering if you did the least favorite card exercise using the Maiden, and if you did if you would not mind sharing it. What bothers you the most about the card?

Hi Jewel!
Thank you for your question! Yes; as a matter of fact I did it twice. Once years ago, when I first got the deck, I wrote it into my tarot journal and now again the other night; but not again in writing - other than here on AT.
What bothers me most about the card is the face - and then more speciffic, the grin she has.
And to the other question in the book as to if there is anything attractive about the card I have to say that I like that it fits in with all the other - "flitter-wing faeries cards". Now that is a word I came up with to describe to myself all the winged faeries like no 45, 54 and 38 for example.
I like them all just fine; but in general am more fascinated with the "none human looking" faeries like Indi, Ilbe, Fee Lion and the lot.
I do not want to "put down" anyone's favorite faerie - It just is, that that is the outcome of the exercise.
Does it change after reading the book?
No- for me the feeling I get from a card, an object, a person overrides any written information.
I honour the concept of The Maiden and the concept of Maiden, Mother Crone; just this maiden does not fulfill / match the archetype I "see" when refering to The Maiden.
Now that was complicated to explain and I just hope it makes sense.
M.

Jewel

Hi Mi_Shell,

It makes perfect sense to me. Although not my least favorite card the Maiden is by far not my favorite card. Like you I really like the less human looking faeries a lot. Indi was my favorite card (with Pfaff the Pfooter in very close second) the first time I did the exercises years ago, and Soul Shrinker was my least favorite. Granted I love Soul Shrinker now, he is one of my most favorite faeries, and I cannot help but smile when I see him now. But back to the Maiden, she is a card I feel quite neutral about overall. Thanks for sharing!

Satori

Hey jewel, I love Soul Shrinker too. I admire him in fact.

But back to the Maiden.

I have to admit to everyone here that the Maiden looks a bit like a Down's Syndrome child to me. The chubbiness, the facial features sort of embody the Downs look. As such I think I've felt a bit protective of her.

I'm an older mother and when I was pregnant with my first I didn't get the amnio, and sort of sweated thru the pregnancy. With the second child I got the amnio and spent a few days of worry fearing a miscarriage.

Both of my kids are now healthy, but for me the Maiden sort of carries some of that fear, some of that worry, and her sad little smile sort of carries the weight of what having a child with some kind of birth defect or other issue can bring.

thorhammer

Satori said:
I have to admit to everyone here that the Maiden looks a bit like a Down's Syndrome child to me. The chubbiness, the facial features sort of embody the Downs look. As such I think I've felt a bit protective of her.
I totally see what you're saying here, Satori. I just did a reading where this little lady came out as Who I Need to Hear From the Most. I think the Downs Syndrome resemblance adds to her message. Knowing what little I know about Downs Syndrome "sufferers" (for want of a better term), I often wonder if they know something we don't. Because The Maiden sure does. But she, in contrast to DS humans, wants to share it. She wants us to feel as happy with what is about us and the endless opportunity as she does.

I love the part of her story where it tells of her rebirth anew every morning. In light of that, her portrait shows a remarkable restraint - and attendant wisdom - in her sitting so still and relaxed. Her very posture seems to indicate a knowing. Her smile does not bother me at all - in fact, it always makes me smile! No matter how many times I look at the card. It makes me smile.

Resurrection: Part II - complete :D

\m/ Kat

Skimo

When I see The Maiden, I smile, not matter what is my mood at this time.

To be honest (and it's not easy after the remarks about Down's syndrome),
I was looking like her whe I was a child.
Not so blond, but I am quite sure that I can find some pics where I realy looks like her.

And my mother seeing her, told me spontaneously the same thing...

She was my daily draw today and she has showed herself reversed (what was strange because I thought all the cards were upright).

Reading the book, it says "blocked energy", "living in your dream", but they don't say how to work about it to change the situation (I have to admit that I am quite a lot in my dreams...)

autumnsdaughter

You must have been so adorable, Skimo!

I have never thought of Downs Syndrome when looking at the Maiden... all I see is a shimmering, giggling, pure joy! She is self centered in the best possible way- totally centered in herself. She is wholly physical and spiritual at the same time. She is totally unaware of any of us judging her- all she cares about is what a wonderful, intriguing, curious world this is, and she is absorbing it all like a sponge.

This is one of my favorite cards- and even though the worldly part of me wants to tell her to be more careful, to not run out into the street, to stay safe... a deeper part of me knows that her very innocence is what makes her so strong and protected.