pros and cons of resin incense?

.traveller.

I found a resin sampler online that I am going to try out. Seems the most economical way to experiment to see what fragrances I like. After browsing the resins, I realised that, long ago, someone had gifted me some resin but I hadn't a clue what it was at the time! Silly silly me :p

.traveller.

sleepingcat said:
*rubs chin* Could one rig a small electric burner to apply heat to the resin?

I know it'd be much less asthetic, but we had electric burners in chemlab, when the open flame of a bunstien burner could be hazardous.

...Set a towel on fire in 10 minutes, set on max. They arent like the little mug warmers you get from the gift shop. However they are variable temperature, and for all intensive purposes, pretty much stay at what degree you set them at (more or less.... It goes out as they get older and abused)

I've been batting this idea around, because my room is so small and only has a quater of a window that can crack open for ventelation, I've made my self pretty sick before and it's kept me from any non self-burning insense.

Anyone think it would work/tried it? Or do you think that it'd be too hazardous and unnatural?

I don't see why it wouldn't work, unless it doesn't get hot enough. I guess it depends on the melting temperature of resin.

.traveller.

Here's something I found out about using resin... a glass oil burner works fabulously.

The burner is basicly a glass lens suspended above a tea light and allows the resin to melt slowly without smoking. I was worried about smoke because the house I live in has a smoke detector in every room except the bathroom.

So anyway, I thought I would share :)

The crowned one

I love them and have used them for years...A little resin goes a very long way, they burn fast and intensely, use sparingly.

Milfoil

I'm just reviving this thread because I realise that although I LOVE the smell of certain resins and they are most definately the best way to go for large groups rather than trying to waft everyone with a smudge stick that keeps going out, I wonder what the medicinal and metaphysical properties of certain resins are, how ethical is their collection etc and if anyone knows a resin which, when burnt, smells quite citrusy?

I know that Propolis is similar but someone was burning a 'mix' at a meeting recently and it was lovely. She had no idea what it was since it was a gift and came in a plastic bag with no description on it.

Any help, gratefully received. :)

Milfoil

update.

Ok, update to say that I think I know which blend it was now. The wonderful citrus smell came from the Prinknash Abbey 'Abbey' blend. I'm familiar with some of their incenses but this one has a lot of copal and oil of bergamot in it I think (from smelling it).

gregory

I LOVE Prinknash incenses. I was brought up on them - and I even know how to pronounce it (unless my father was winding me up, so I shall now go check.....!)

ETA he wasn't !! Prinnish.

Milfoil

Oooh, I didn't know that. Thanks Gregory. :)

Yes, I love the Basilica, its actually in my burner as I type this. I thought the Basilica was lemony but the Abbey is much more citrus smelling. Very nice.

Sulis

I want to get some of this Prinknash incense but the only size boxes I can find on the site are 1lb boxes. Are those the smallest they do or am I being thick and can't see for looking?

Milfoil

Yes, 1lb boxes. Its a lot for one person to use but I use it at meetings too. Would you like me to send you a little to try? :)