Box or Drawstring Pouch?

What would you rather have your deck packaged in?

• A 2-part box (cardboard, cardstock)

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • A drawstring pouch (faux suede, velvet, etc)

Votes: 25 43.1%

• Total voters

page of wands

I put my deck in a sparkly makeup bag. xD

ShinyAeon

I voted bags, because I have a plastic bin full of empty tarot boxes that I probably don't need to keep, but hate to give away in case I "need them someday." Bags, at least, can be stored flatter than empty boxes, and could (conceivably) be used for something else. Boxes are kind of a one-use thing...if you're not keeping the deck in one, they're kind of just taking up space.

To me, a deck in the box is one that isn't being used, and I hate to keep things I'm not using. I have the strong potential to become a hoarder, and I'm trying to fight my natural instinct to keep everything I've ever owned forever and ever. I get decks to use them, and decks in a box are either just waiting for the right bag, or candidates for being re-homed.

So, yeah. Bags make more sense to me.

Unless, of course, you're a collector (she suddenly thought). Then boxes make more sense...

Dang, now I'm undecided again.

Annabelle

Box, box, definitely a box.

Why? Because I'm a collector, and decks in boxes are easier to store, display, and locate. Decks in bags slide around, are hard to identify at a glance (unless the bag is unique), are difficult to stack, and provide less protection for the cards.

All that said, the deck I use most frequently is in a bag -- a simple, unlined, drawstring bag that I have taken on trips, tossed in my purse numerous times, etc. -- a box would be an impediment for a "working" deck, plus the box would quickly be destroyed (after being opened/shut repeatedly, if it was a tuckbox).

Barleywine

The sturdy boxes with the a magnetic side-closure are the ones I like best, followed by the 2-part slipcase boxes. The flapped cardboard boxes quickly get trashed, and the large, floppy "kit" boxes pretty much start as junk. I also have several small travel bags of faux leather, a plush material and wool that I carry a few decks in when I go out to do public readings.

ETA: Sometimes I use both. Here's one of my Thoth decks with its Native Eyewear sunglasses bag and its "disguise," a Christmas candy tin. It's probably too tough to go "saccharine" on me.

Attachments

• Thoth Disguise.JPG
    Thoth Disguise.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 160

Mythtaken

I like sturdy boxes that open and close smoothly, of whatever design.

The whole deck should fit, not subdivided, ideally not sharing space with a book.

I have one deck that's in a bag because that's how the artist who made it sent it to me. Very pretty, and I do understand the appeal. If they were all that nice, I guess I'd be a bigger fan.

On the other hand, I hate flimsy boxes, and boxes that are way too big, almost not big enough, etc. I've ditched some of those, and just keep most of my decks folded in their own bandanna. Might get inspired to make each one a bag, but til I get crafty, I'm keeping it simple.

Streamfinder

Um, neither? My decks are stored in large bandanna–sized silk or shemagh. These provide more protection than a bag, since they are wrapped in multiple folds. The fabric can also be used as a spread surface and protector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lightpers

The sturdy boxes with the a magnetic side-closure are the ones I like best, followed by the 2-part slipcase boxes. The flapped cardboard boxes quickly get trashed, and the large, floppy "kit" boxes pretty much start as junk. I also have several small travel bags of faux leather, a plush material and wool that I carry a few decks in when I go out to do public readings.

ETA: Sometimes I use both. Here's one of my Thoth decks with its Native Eyewear sunglasses bag and its "disguise," a Christmas candy tin. It's probably too tough to go "saccharine" on me.

My God, the box was so calm and nice and warm, but inside it, it is a very cunning deck you store, Barleywine, both the pouch and box are beautiful :D

Dogs&Coffee

Box if the deck stays at home, Bag if I'm taking it with me for the day.

Also depends on how sturdy the cards are... One of my Wild Unknown cards already has a splitting edge, and I've only had it for a couple of days :/ .... this deck will live and travel in it's box.

Kalisti

Box if the deck stays at home, Bag if I'm taking it with me for the day.

Also depends on how sturdy the cards are... One of my Wild Unknown cards already has a splitting edge, and I've only had it for a couple of days :/ .... this deck will live and travel in it's box.

Awww, that's unfortunate! I wonder if it was a defect with your deck? I use my WU probably more than any of my other decks and the cards have been super sturdy in my experience...I'm not very easy on my decks with shuffling, either.

Carojulie

Both.

Box is nice, but only if it is a super nice and sturdy one.

And then, I will probably make a bag to house the deck IN its box anyway - just so that the box doesnot get battered during travel, and to make sure it will not open at the wrong time.
I have made a nice felt bag for my Wild Unknown strong box, and I keep my Bohemian Gothic with its box inside a beautiful bag.

If the box is slightly large and the cards tend to move this way and that inside, I make a very thin pouch for inside, that will keep the cards for sliding around. That is like underwear for the deck :)
I made that for Prisma Vision, for example.
I would love to be able to do that will all boxed decks, but usually the box is too tight, its just the side of the cards (which makes sense from the manufacturer's point of view).

Tuckboxes are not strong enough - decks that come in tuckboxes, I rehouse in bags immediately. Same thing for big floppy boxes that house deck and book.
If the deck is either made of very fragile cardstock, or is especially precious, I make the bag with a layer of padding, for protection (but it makes the bag more bulky, and a lot of bulky bags eventually take up a lot of room in a house)
I always make bags snug enough so that the cards will not slide around. It gives better protection.

Be it in box or bag, I like to have only the deck, with no parasite like presentation card or LWB (I do not like it when the extra card, the one with the name of the deck on it, gets shuffled by mistake with the rest of the cards).
But decks that come with genuine extra cards (like the Happy Squirel for example, or all Baba decks), I keep the extra card(s) as part of the deck and read with it.

I keep all the tuckboxes flattened in a shoebox, along with all LWB and presentation cards. Just in case I want to give the deck away, it can be complete with its tuckboxe and LWB and all.

I also have a nice wooden box that is roomy enough for a couple of decks in bags, spread cloth, candle, incense, matches, crystals and all. Decks I am currently using live in it, and they are kept in rotation. If I travel, I will take this box, its contains everything I need and gives wonderful protection for everything.
The good quality big sturdy boxes that house some deck and book sets (like Mary El or Gorgon's, or Bonefire), can serve the same purpose as my wooden box. I like them.