Favorite Thoth Clone?

Aeon418

I like Lon DuQuette's, Tarot of Ceremonial Magick.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ceremonial-magick/

Yes, admitedly the artwork is not the best. But the simplicity makes a nice contrast to the "busy" imagery of the Thoth deck. And, believe it or not, it reads remarkably well.

The cards follow the Golden Dawn colour scales faithfully and, with one exception, the Majors are named the same as their Thoth counterparts - Lust, Aeon, Art. (I'm not sure why Lon prefered Justice over Adjustment.) The Minors retain the Golden Dawn names, but they are helpful to compare with some of Crowley's changes.

A good deck all round and under rated IMHO. :)

The card backs are great too.

Barleywine

I like Lon DuQuette's, Tarot of Ceremonial Magick.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ceremonial-magick/

Yes, admittedly the artwork is not the best. But the simplicity makes a nice contrast to the "busy" imagery of the Thoth deck. And, believe it or not, it reads remarkably well.

Where a clear and accurate presentation of the symbolism takes precedence over the art, that simplicity is a good thing. The art is serviceable for that purpose, and the colors are well-done too. Unfortunately it seems to be OOP and no longer available new for anything approaching a reasonable price.

Aeon418

Unfortunately it seems to be OOP and no longer available new for anything approaching a reasonable price.
Is it? I know the US Games edition is OOP. But I thought someone else was printing it now. I'm sure Grigori (or somemone else) started a thread about it not so long ago.

It would be a shame if it really is OOP. I'm glad I bought a spare now. (US Games ed. Still sealed. :D) It's the only deck I use apart from the Thoth.

I've got the Liber-T deck but it doesn't appeal. IMO too much extraneous crap on the minor cards. Both of the Golden Dawn decks (Wang & Magical), although nice for comparative purposes, leave me feeling uninspired. The only other deck I've got is the Enochian. But I don't consider that a true Tarot.

Barleywine

Is it? I know the US Games edition is OOP. But I thought someone else was printing it now. I'm sure Grigori (or somemone else) started a thread about it not so long ago.

It would be a shame if it really is OOP. I'm glad I bought a spare now. (US Games ed. Still sealed. :D) It's the only deck I use apart from the Thoth.

After some additional digging, I found that the "Babylon Edition" is still in print and now in its second printing. It's $45 USD (which is high but not completely unreasonable), but wasn't listed on Amazon.com, which only has what must be the U.S. Games edition at $169 new.

This statement is from the Thelesis Aura website: "If you're looking for Lon Milo DuQuette's Tarot of Ceremonial Magick (The Babalon Edition) look no further. We publish it."

Barleywine

Though it's rarely ever mentioned, Serghei Udovichenko's Ex-Libris tarot is one of my favorite decks of any kind.
I dare not say it, but I think that in its essence, it's more "Thoth" than The Thoth.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=122723

I just went to his web-site and watched a slide-show of the Ex-Libris etchings. Amazing work!
Since they weren't all in finished "card" form with titles, it wasn't always possible to tell which etching was for which trump. I think I also saw a "Contact Me" link on there somewhere.

http://www.sergeyudovichenko.com/

Aeon418

After some additional digging, I found that the "Babylon Edition" is still in print and now in its second printing. It's $45 USD (which is high but not completely unreasonable), but wasn't listed on Amazon.com, which only has what must be the U.S. Games edition at $169 new.
I suspect the higher price tag may be an unavoidable consequence of a small company keeping a deck in print. A bigger entity like US Games can afford to "stack 'em high and sell 'em cheap". It's a trade off.

DeToX

I know very little about Thoth, but here is my 2 cents.

I love Liber T - Andrea Serio's art is fantastic. In some ways it gives me the impression of being something more than Thoth, but in other ways, the lack of semi-plain pips, means that maybe it is less flexible as a deck. I personally love the minors of Liber T. Either way it is one of the best tarot decks in existence imo.

The Hermetic Tarot isn't a Thoth Clone - but it has a raw edge, character and existentialist madness to it that is sadly missing from the other two Golden Dawn decks - which I couldn't bring myself to use personally even though considerable effort has gone into their creation.

Tarot of Ceremonial Magick - a mixed bag. Some of the artwork is quite good, but for the large part the majors are a bit too cutesy for my liking. The minors are ok bar the odd moment of silliness - but the courts are not very good at all. They feature the same line drawings for the 4 characters in each suite with the relevant object attached to them - but never quite in the right place so the effect is not convincing. There aren't that many court cards and given the simple nature of the court drawings, it couldn't have taken Lon Milo more than a day or two more to draw proper court cards, each one unique. Disaster! I do like all the Enochian tables, Hebrew and Planetary Symbols, and Tattwas included - not that I would know what to do with them as yet. However I get the feeling that I couldn't use this as any more than a study deck - the art would just put me off too much. I would imagine that taking a tarot like BOTA and adding in the tables and symbols from the ToCM myself would be much better than the ToCM itself, giving the best of both worlds. ;-)

I think the Via Tarot is a mixed bag. The courts are really fantastic - the best I've seen on a Thoth-style deck. However, the old crone figure in the minors is not that well drawn imo and ruins the overall effect of the deck for me. I like the fact that the deck isn't cutesy though - which is something.

The Rosetta Tarot - an excellent deck. However, not sure what it is exactly but it feels too cutesy for me. Maybe the lack of pen and ink lines in the characters and animals is to blame but it makes them look devoid of any venom. Some people say this is why they like the Rosetta more than Thoth but for me it is a bit of a show stopper. Also I feel that whilst MM is a fantastic artist, the small sizes of the original paintings limits the deck quite a bit. If she had painted larger paintings for each card like with her latest tarot and scaled them down more, it would have looked much better. As it is, her latest Tarot looks really professional but the Rosetta looks more crude in its style. There are reasons for the way she's done it but I think she missed a big opportunity there personally. Also, the RT seems to lack the depth of the cubist backgrounds of Thoth although a few cards have rather good backgrounds.

Tarot of the Spirit is a bit Thothy, and I think it's very good in places, but overall it lacks the umph I'd really look for in a Thoth 'clone' or Thoth inspired deck.

jema

There is also this one
Aum tarot

not as polished though. But different.

Attachments

• aum1.jpg
    aum1.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 245

Bhavana

There is also this one
Aum tarot

not as polished though. But different.

Another one for the list....((((sigh))))

I love the Haindl and the Sun and Moon decks - I like the Thoth too, but admit I am too lazy to really study it. Someday maybe.