Three Magus Cards...

Eoin

Okay here is a nube question that might just end all nube questions!

I have the Thoth deck with the three versions of the Magus card. Last night I felt compelled to take out this deck (for the first time really) and look through it carefully and try to get some idea of what it is all about and I find I am getting more and more interested in it. The question that jumps out at me now is, do you normally only use one of the Magus cards, or are there people who will leave two or all three versions in the deck during readings?

eoin

Ross G Caldwell

Eoin said:

I have the Thoth deck with the three versions of the Magus card. Last night I felt compelled to take out this deck (for the first time really) and look through it carefully and try to get some idea of what it is all about and I find I am getting more and more interested in it. The question that jumps out at me now is, do you normally only use one of the Magus cards, or are there people who will leave two or all three versions in the deck during readings?

eoin

I know people who use one or three Magus cards. I find the three silly, since it makes it so much more likely to get a Magus card, and that's unfair.

The extra cards were put there just to use up the space (there are 80 "spaces" for cards when they are printed - that's why you get two extra cards in most tarot decks, except they print adverts for other decks and company information on them usually.). And it is interesting to know that Lady Harris made so many different versions that have survived.

But the one Crowely chose, was the one included in the Book of Thoth plates, and that's the normal one.

I suppose you could decide you like one of the others better, and use that. But I wouldn't use three.

Eoin

Okay, I wasn't aware of the "80 card" thing. I'm just beginning to really look at the Thoth, so I wasn't at all sure. Thanks!

Edge

Eoin said:

eoin

Hello Eoin, their is only one Magus in the Thoth. Regarding which one to use, I'd say take your pick.

Lillie

You can do whatever takes your fancy.
Use one, use all three. Use just two!
Use which ever one you like best.

My deck only has the one.
But it has the hex instead.
I like that better.

Though if I could choose a single magus to have it would be the kneeling one.
But decks like mine that only have one, always have th mercury like magus.

ravenest

You like the kneely one yeah?

I like the others but could never choose them above the one AC choose. The reason I like that one is all the juggling involved, the coins, the vase with a snake (they could have added the car, the phone bill, the kids, medical problems, diviorce settlement, etc, etc.)

I like him cause he has masterered life and the various issues we have to deal with all at once. And that is the secret. Do not try to look at each thing and watch it as it goes around and down, just calculate it's trajectory, catch it and throw it. A good juggler (and magician) just contolls the hands, the small part at the bottom of the circle, grabbing passing and throwing things up. The universal laws take care of the rest and the swirl of things around him being juggled can be 'ignored'.

Oh, if only I could be more like this; setting things up carefully so that they take care of themselves, instead of trying to control it all!

Barbaras Ahajusts

He hee.
I'm so glad you ask this question. It was driving me nuts. I like them all. But at the same time, getting all three would be a very boring reading, no? LOL

Thanks,
:heart:Barb

Parzival

Three Magus Cards

I think it all depends on how you see the three cards. If they are superfluous and redundant, that is, more than one, then use one. If two somehow complement each other extremely well, then use two. If the three together picture different aspects of the Magician, a kind of Magician Trilogy, then use all three. If 78 has to be your Tarot total by tradition, pick one. Or try 79, if you want to. If 80 is an acceptable Tarot Total, let it be 80. It's infinite enough. In short, you are the Magician, doing as you will to do, it's your magic act. (Personally, I use one in my large Thoth, because it came with one. I use all three in the three-Magician deck, because it came with three.)

Is it coincidence that Hermes/the Magician is deemed "Thrice Greatest" and the Thoth Tarot provides three possible aspect-images of Hermes? Could one be more to the Divine, one more to Man, one more to Nature ; or Light, Light-with-Dark, Dark ? Or do they duplicate each other, with merely artistic variations? You decide.

Umbrae

Listen to Frank Hall, then remember what Crowley said, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

ravenest

Right then!

I'm stackin' my deck with 7 two of cups!