The Daemon Tarot

Alta

That's good. You'll be happier using the deck now. I gather cutting can be an issue, the blades get a bit dull, stack alignment gets off etc.

momentarylight

My copy arrived yesterday and my first impressions are of delight. I thought it was a tarot but it is definitely not.

I agree with everything LeFanu said in his earlier review.

Plan to spend some quiet time over the next few days exploring the deck. I prefer it to the Fallen Angels Tarot, a deck which made me feel quite depressed actually.

The illustrations in this deck invite exploration. The detail is exquisite.

This is unfamiliar territory for me. I am curious as to how these creatures came to live in the imagination of their creators but I guess this may become evident as I use the deck.

For me, Hell is a state of mind which has little to do with daemons, but I am interested in fairy tales and mythology and I'll see how this interest applies to this deck.

I wonder how the deck creator arrived at the meanings given in the manual? Sorry if this question is explained in the manual itself. Haven't seen it yet.

LadyDeborah

Sent back my first deck to amazon and bought another and it is fine! Both stacks are the same size. I guess I was unlucky the first time.

Detox, I'm glad you got a good deck. Mine are not exactly cut perfectly, but I can't really say they are different sizes. The edges aren't as nice as some other cards that I have, but I sure do like this deck and book. They are so different and not as dark as one might think at first. The characters are almost Fairy like or maybe even Troll like. This is a deck that turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Instead of the characters being demonic, I find them to be whimsical.

caridwen

Any further feedback on this deck? I'm looking at getting it:)

Le Fanu

Any further feedback on this deck? I'm looking at getting it:)

It bothers me. I loved it until my attention was drawn to the different sized cards. And then I tried to use it. They really are. The smaller ones sort of clump somewhere around the middle of the deck and can't be really shuffled. I just can't concentrate on the fronts of the cards when the sides are such different sizes and - unless I swoosh on the table - I can't get the cards out of order....

caridwen

It bothers me. I loved it until my attention was drawn to the different sized cards. And then I tried to use it. They really are. The smaller ones sort of clump somewhere around the middle of the deck and can't be really shuffled. I just can't concentrate on the fronts of the cards when the sides are such different sizes and - unless I swoosh on the table - I can't get the cards out of order....

Is that with all the decks or did you get a dodgy one? What did you love about it until the clumping issue?:)

DeToX

Is that with all the decks or did you get a dodgy one? What did you love about it until the clumping issue?:)

See earlier posts in the thread regarding card size. My current copy has equal sized cards - pretty much dead on - but the corner rounding is different between the two stacks of cards. However, it's made in China and good value for money. If it had been self-published then it would likely have cost 3 times as much.

I don't see why many people are surprised when they see the images - presumably they are not familiar with the source. They are not new - anyone who had downloaded a pdf of 'Dictionnaire Infernal - Collin De Plancy', or the Louis de Breton translation with larger images, can view them. What is new is the card format for the images, the application, and the added fancy borders and different font titles. The accompanying divination book is also a unique. The producer has also tidied up the images slightly, albeit perhaps a fraction smaller than the originals (?) There are sample card images on aeclectic and a video on youtube. You pretty much know what you are going to get lol so I'm not sure the designs of the cards themselves really warrant any more explanation. ;-) Unless one wants to discuss really fine detail differences between the originals and these cards which is more of a connoisseur/purist type discussion than purchasing decision type discussion. Besides the card size issue, which is a moderate risk quality control lottery, you pretty much know what you are going to get. If you're not happy with the quality, you can always send them back for a replacement. [edited a million times]

Le Fanu

Great images, nicely done package, book etc. I think it's an interesting deck... There is a video on youtube as DeTox says and that's as close up and as good a review as you'll get.