"The Tarot" by Richard Cavendish (split from Tarot Books & Media)

Lillie

Abrac said:
In the picture credits at the back of Cavendish's book it says:

"Cards designed by Aleister Crowley, English, early 20th c. Warburg Inst. By permission of Gerald Yorke, Esq. (top left) Photo: Michael Holford"

Yes.

So Michael Holford photographed some, or all the paintings some time before 1975.

Who took the original pictures for the BoT?
Is that even known?

gregory

Abrac said:
In the picture credits at the back of Cavendish's book it says:

"Cards designed by Aleister Crowley, English, early 20th c. Warburg Inst. By permission of Gerald Yorke, Esq. (top left) Photo: Michael Holford"
YES - but as I pointed out in the post where I re-quoted that after rwc quoted it in the first place - what's with the Top Left ??? Aeon is bottom right.

gregory

Rosanne said:
Everything you said and one extra thing. It was the enlarged Hermit of very good quality that set me on the Visconti Trail. It has a special place in my Library and my heart.

~Rosanne
REALLY ? I have just been through my copy four times and can't see it. (There are some other HUGE Visconti scans.)

Do our books differ ? Does your memory wobble ? Do I need new specs or a new book ? What gives and what page ???

Rosanne

My memory doth wobble, just call me '$%#@ for Brains'
My Italian version of 'Cartomancy' by Alessandro Bellenghi P127...which has no fothy Thothy..... I better get all Virgoan about my bookcases.

The Cartomancy was published 1985 and has many of the images of the 1975 Cavendish. Ha! who cribbed who?
~Rosanne

gregory

Maybe they just used the same photographer ?

Lillie

gregory said:
- what's with the Top Left ??? Aeon is bottom right.

What's strange about the fool?

Nothing that I can see.
Borders are a bit darker, but that could be to do with how they were made.
They are all to identical, I think they must have been done with some kind of stencil or something.

Just slightly darker ink for that one?
Or it's faded less over the years perhaps.

What do you see weird about it?

gregory

NOOOOO :(

No-one LISTENS to me *sob*

The photo credits say:

Cards designed by Aleister Crowley, English, early 20th c. Warburg Inst. By permission of Gerald Yorke, Esq. [size=+6](top left)[/size] Photo: Michael Holford

What I want to know is is he/the Warburg/whatever only credited with the photo on the top left. Which is NOT the Aeon - and if not what the bleep does it mean. What does the "top left" in the credits as printed mean. Yes - that would suggest it referred to the Fool - but why ?

Lillie

OK.

I see. How are they laid out on the page???

Are they all four like you scanned them?

Or are they different?

Cos if they appear in the book as you scanned them then it would seem that only the fool was photographed by Holford. And that would be odd...
Or perhaps that Yorke only owns the permission of the fool card...

Also is it a full page picture?

I need to see the book :(
I can't remember properly.

Are there any other pictures on that page, or any writing?

gregory

They are laid out as I posted the whole page.

You don't SERIOUSLY think I would have been bothered to shift them around ??? :D

And yes - that is the WHOLE page. Odd, innit !

The crowned one

Gerald Yorke retained several alternative versions of cards that were not included in the pack, perhaps this is one of the images? Lady Frieda bequeathed them to him and from there he donated most of the works and writings to the Warburg Institute, retaining just a few, he sold them to Harold Mortlake, some are on sale now.