Kabbalah Water and Kabbalah Energy Drink?

Zephyros

I saw a show today about the religions of celebrities, and, of course, they spoke quite a lot about Madonna and her Kabbalistic infatuation. I was shocked, however, at the commercialization of it all. Turns out there is such a thing as Kabbalah Water and an energy drink called sinply Kabbalah.

I mean, it is all well and good for Madonna, but whoring the very name of Kabbalah so infuriated me... must everything come with a price tag? What ever happened to humility in faith?

jmd

As a positive consequence, it has encouraged others to make booklist recommendations such as this one.

Little Baron

If you go to the Tomb of Rachel where they bless the red string for the bracelets and wrap it around the tomb several times, they will give you one for free. It doesn't have a price tag there. It is only from money-grabbers like the Bergs, that it costs. The water, I read somewhere, is produced in America. There is a lot of controversy surrounding the cult of Kabbalah, the founders, it's unpaid workers. Even Madonna asked for a breakdown of where her money was actually going.

LB

Dave's Angel

I was on their website a few months back. One of the things for sale is a lavishly bound edition of the Zohar, running into several volumes. The price was in the hundreds of dollars. The text is entirely Hebrew.

The site said that if the reader were to open it up anywhere and scan the text, that would be enough to activate the energies of Kabbalah (I don't quote exactly, but that was the general drift).

Several hundred dollars on a set of books you can't read! Comment would be unnecessary.

AmounrA

That trick works with any book. Its a possibe way coincidence/synchronicity central can communicate to you without being detected. Same way the tarot does.

Madonna and kabballah? Who is using who? :)

Wayfarer

jmd - That is a very refreshing list of books; devoid of the usual suspects who have picked the ideas in the Kabbalah which suit their needs and promptly ignore the unconforming aspects.

When there is a large portion of people seeking to acheive "true spirituality" in exchange for cash is it really any wonder why oportunists seek to prey on them?

How well do you think Kabbalah coffee would sell at Starbucks?

Daemon

Kabbalah water, food, bracelets, and other products

All the Kabbalah stuff that is sold is a RIP-OFF!!! All they do is take stuff you could by for 25 cents, put a new label on it, and sell it for 25 dollars.

isthmus nekoi

Thanks for sharing the Amazon link, jmd! Right after reading that, I managed to find a copy of Gershom Scholem's Zohar on sale elsewhere :) Maybe you could add the link to the sticky thread at the top of the forum?

In regards to the capitalism appropriation of kabbalah and spiritual systems in general - I agree, it can really suck but I also find the human psyche is remarkably good at reappropriating them back. For better or worse, the unconscious will always have this remarkable ability to infuse even the most consumerist of merchandise with the numinous.

MysticMason

Search Google for "McKabbalah" to find similar sentiments expressed about such items as bottled Kabbalah water.