4 of pentacles in a relationship question

magissa82

Hi,

I'm just curious as to how people would interpret the 4 of pentacles in terms of a relationship.... could it indicate someone refusing to let another person go?

starrystarrynight

I could see it in that light depending upon the rest of the reading...

Nuncle

As SSN says, it does depend on other cards, position, etc.

BUT, when the 4 of pents comes up for me in a relationship reading, one important thing to consider is issues of stability.

The 4 of Pents gets a bad rap in terms of possessiveness, hoarding, etc. But there is the flip side--stability, security, and even comfort.

Nuncle

firecatpickles

Nuncle said:
But there is the flip side--stability, security, and even comfort.
I agree with this imterpretation. I would add that in a relationship, the emphasis is on the material, perhaps sexual, aspects of the relationship. It could also mean alimony/palimony or some other type of settlement. Or a gold-digger.

K:spade:K

skitsokitty

I definitely agree with what's already said.

I also see it as the person feeling anxious, reluctant to be vulnerable (eg take the coin away from his chest, his heart)...or feeling defensive...

magissa82

skitsokitty said:
I definitely agree with what's already said.

I also see it as the person feeling anxious, reluctant to be vulnerable (eg take the coin away from his chest, his heart)...or feeling defensive...

That definitely describes the situation exactly!!!!

Thanks to all for their input, much appreciated as per usual :)

star-lover

*edit* cross posted

I found this interpretation quite good from tarot.com's pages

------------

The character this card represents needs to move slowly and deliberately if change is required, as the consequences will affect more than just her or himself.

Note: In the English decks, like Rider-Waite, we see a person who is stuck in their misunderstanding of how the material plane works. He's afraid to let go of his four measly coins, because he doesn't know he has to give in order to get. When looked at this way, this is the card of poverty consciousness.

-------------
The first paragraph makes sense if you equate the 4s to the Emperor - it can show showing responsibility in a relationship and considering others, which doesnt seem to fit the selfishness/miserly take - a realist in affairs of the heart

I also have found this card to come up as someone not willing to put all their cards on the table (they are held very close to their chest obviously lol) - it can be about self protection - or simply just an unwillingness to play openly and trust others/show their feelings - they always play the safest bet and look after their own interests first - definitely not a risk taker

tink27

I see the 4 of pentacles as someone who is very connected with material concerns and could very well own and start their own business. I also think they are very smart people but are not eager to share their wisdom or their experiences with others.…especially with the competition.

In a relationship, the person involved with the 4 of pentacles….I don’t think would be number one…..work would. So, the partner may have to settle for second best, as the 4 of Pents would probably be working way past the wee hours in order to make his business a success…and even with lots of cash on hand, he’d still be a 24/7 kind of person.

I also think the four of pentacles would be one to put a wall around his private life, sharing it with his family and very close friends. Perhaps he need his own space, and may well need a room where we can go and be by himself at times.

tink

magissa82

I think all those interpretations are correct and can apply. The association with the Emperor is interesting, as that card always comes up in relation to the same person........

Many thanks to all :)

Knight of Wands

Work-aholic?

Someone so engrossed in their financial and work commitments, they find it hard to leave the work persona at work, and just relax at home.

This, understandably, would affect relationships...