Book of Law Study Group 1.33-1.34

cardlady22

racing in a mathematical hamster wheel

Have no clue if this means anything, but the math is interesting:

The word write appears as 18, 23, 28 (numerical order within the verse)
total of 69

The word ordeals is 22
18 + 22 = 40

The word rituals is 27
23 + 27 = 50

The word law is 32
28 + 32 = 60

And the 3 words sum up to 81.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

write-(verb) inscribe, compose (as in poetry or music), catalogue

RLG

Dwtw

Well, it is the 33rd verse of the chapter, and the subject matter is clearly split into thirds: ordeals, rituals, and law.

The ordeals are individual, and so cannot be specified exactly. The rituals are partly for public use and partly for private use, so these can be partially revealed. The law, (presumably Liber AL itself), is to be declared openly, even though it remains to be interpreted by each individual.

This last bit seems a contradiction. But consider the verses near the very end of the book. It is said that the fool will go through four ordeals in regard to Liber AL, and his understanding will increase with each ordeal. Although those ordeals are not specified either, the results of them are, i.e., higher awareness at each step. So it would seem that although the Law is public, it too is individual and hidden in the sense that it requires ordeals to understand it more fully, and we are told that these ordeals are unique to each individual, so they will not be spelled out. So I take that to mean that the words of the Law are public, but their meaning is not written.

Litlluw
RLG

Grigori

This line strikes me as interesting in what is says about Crowley at the time of dictation. It reads as a description of the dictation process; Crowley asks Nuit for details on the ordeals, rituals and law. Maybe its just the exclamation mark at the end, but I read this as if its a line said with great fervour. Only 1/6th of the way into the book, and he's already a convert and eager for more. And so I wonder about how it came that Crowley promptly forgot about the Liber Al and tucked it away in an attic shortly after. Perhaps the later verse he did not like so much :D

Probably I should have included 1.33 and 1.34 in this thread, as they are two halves of an exchange. I'll update the thread title to reflect that.

Aiwass said:
33. Then the priest fell into a deep trance or swoon, & said unto the Queen of Heaven; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law!

34. But she said: the ordeals I write not: the rituals shall be half known and half concealed: the Law is for all.

Grigori

RLG said:
The ordeals are individual, and so cannot be specified exactly. The rituals are partly for public use and partly for private use, so these can be partially revealed. The law, (presumably Liber AL itself), is to be declared openly, even though it remains to be interpreted by each individual.

Ah, thanks RLG. I'm also reading this of a reminder that "the Law is for all", but that initiation, or even knowing participation in the Law is not. The Book of Law is seen as defining the formula of the new aeon, and that that formula applies to us all, not just those with an interest in initiation and practical magic, or even the book itself.

This is a little different from an observation Scion shared earlier, where he saw Liber Al as recommending practical work to understand it as scripture (not sure that is the right word, but hopefully what I mean is clear and not twisting his words), but apparently practical work is not necessary to participate in the new aeon. So the Law and ordeals are around if we like it or not, but the rituals are perhaps optional for those of a magical bent....?

Always Wondering

I don't like writing about ordeals either. ;) Don't like too make much of them, that tends to breed more for me. This seems like typical life lesson stuff to learn from, as was stated.

The law is for all. I guess I have heard this enough to start thinking of this as a natural, kind of universal thing. Not only is it for all, no one can really change it or do much but try to understand and work with the nature of well, life.

I find more interesting the rituals half known. It can be seen as RLG said, some private, some public. Or half outer order, half inner order. But as I was thinking on it I wondered if it might be like Nuit, and this grasping thing. With a vast unconscious perhaps it is only half understood what one's rituals do for them. Or even the effect of unthinking, robotic action which could be considered a lesser kind of ritual.

Is Crowley the priest? Funny how I never get this. I tend to read this book in a more disassociated way. Barely a year into my study perhaps I don't know enough of him to do any differently.
I like to think of Hadit being the priest, which lends a long line of the highest of male qualities descended among men. After all, if we women can be goddessy and Nuitish, why can't men? :laugh: There is a lot to honor and appreciate among the male lineage. ;)

AW

Aeon418

Ordeals are written not. Rituals, half known and half concealed. The Law is for All. There's a clear progression from the individual to the universal.

The Law is for all in much the same way that the Law of Gravity is for all. In both cases these Laws operate regardless of individual understanding.

Rituals are symbolic forms. But to be of any value they must be worked. It's the point of contact between the individual and universal forms. Your experience will differ from mine. And the experience of the novice and master will differ greatly. The novice has learnt to skim the surface. The master has plumed the hidden depths.
Life is a ritual. Most people are born, they go through the motions, and then they die. But very few people actually try to live. That requires a bit more effort and might threaten comfort levels. ;)

Ordeals. This speaks to me of initiation. Not the ceremonies of occult orders, which are symbolic outer forms. But inner initiation. Real growth, real learning only occurs at the point of restriction. Your limits are your self-imposed comfort zone. Pushing beyond those boundaries is often painful. (See the 5 of Wands) Due to their very nature they are entirely individual.

Quoting AC from memory: "Initiation is never what you think it will be. If it were you would already be initiated."

Hadit: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
It's the point of contact between the individual and universal forms.

What might a universal form be? HGA maybe, but then you would have said that.

Aeon418 said:
This speaks to me of initiation. Not the ceremonies of occult orders, which are symbolic outer forms. But inner initiation. Real growth, real learning only occurs at the point of restriction.

This is a helpful perspective. I read a lot of emphasis's on occult ceremony and feel like I miss that up here in the middle of Christan fundamentalville.:) But really, as you say, it is the inner growth that counts. I sometimes forget that.

AW

ravenest

The law shall be known ... that is, the Book of the Law is outwardly revealed.

The half known and half concealed rituals can be interpreted literally on many levels. Looking at 'the rituals' most commonly associated with Thelma, as published by AC in Book 4, and the rituals of the OTO and AA, even if they are fully known by the candidate there will be a certain unknown element in each individual ritual. They OTO rituals (and perhaps the AA) were actually only 'half known' up to recent times, with much research and collation being needed to develop a full system.

Even developing your own rituals from BoL you might think its 'all known' ... that is until you try to enact or perform the ritual ... then see how much of it you 'knew'.

The ordeals ... in relation to the above two; law and ritual .. are written not ... that's the 'surprise factor'. No one can predict what effect any ritual will have on another or yourself, the ritual will be empty unless 'sealed' by an ordeal (although some may say visa versa) ... most usually the case with initiation type rituals.

Yes, our life is full of rituals but certain types of magical ritual are enacted to affirm these often unconcious ritualised processes. The ritual stimulates the unconcious/artistic side while the ordeal 'stimulates' in a physical, concious, emotional and sometimes 'gut-wrentching' way.

Humans are too thick to learn from simple instruction ... like computers we need to have the info punched in. Writing or predicting the ordeals would subdue their impact.

Indeed, true intiation cannot be achieved by taking a title, a fancy costume or jewel and going through the ceremony (and paying for it ;) ) - that comes via the ordeal ... the ceremony in the temple is supposed to help one understand, collate, predict, plan, etc the strange whirlpool of events (that can seem unrelated and confusing) some of us call the ordeals.

A series of intitiation rites is supposed to prepare one for, or to consolidate one after, the ordeals of life through which we all evolve.

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
What might a universal form be?
Sorry for confusing you, AW. It's a term I picked up from somewhere else to describe those particular symbolic constructs that represent aspects of both ourselves and the universe. The pentagram is a example of one.
Now that pentagram is the same for you, me, and everyone else. That's it's universal aspect.

But when these forms are woven into ritual and the ritual is actually "worked" (as opposed to being merely studied intellectually), then there is a union of the universal and the individual - the half known and half concealed

For example the LBRP is common to both of us. It's the same for you as it is for me. But your experience of working that ritual is not my experience. Your experience (the half concealed) can only be made manifest by your work with the half revealed. It's a case of the universal and the idividual meeting to produce a third thing. Sound familiar?

Going back to the verse, the ritual section fits in the middle of the Law and Ordeals. The Law is universal/impersonal and applies to everyone the same. The Rituals are a half and half. The ritual forms are the common component, but individual experience is not. The Ordeals are as individual and unique as your own life, and therefore cannot be written.