The Orbifold Tarot

Maveriker

Hello all! I am extremely pleased and proud to announce my new upcoming tarot deck, The Orbifold Tarot — a modern and simple expression of the traditional system.

It is based on Sacred Geometry, the Four Elements, and Numerology, and is intended to trigger the cerebral and intuitive aspects of readers' abilities. The abstract rhythms will help you dive deep into your mind and soul, unobstructed by scenes and personification.

Not only would I like to share the deck with you all, but I also am extremely happy to discuss it and any questions you may have.

To get the discussion rolling, check out the deck on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh0pq0hWWNc

and/or on IndieGoGo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/orbifold-tarot/x/10974193#/story

I'm already getting some attention from leaders in the tarot community, but I'd love to hear impressions and feedback from the tarot community as a whole, you guys, the ones who may wind up USING the deck, and I hope, cherishing it.

I will post some photos here too, and in the meantime there are several more photos and some short discussions on my blog, mirrorsofconsciousness.com

Maveriker

Some photos :)

A small sampling of Majors:

II - The High Priestess
IX - The Hermit
XIII - Death
XVI - The Tower

Attachments

• Orbifold Mandala.jpg
    Orbifold Mandala.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 298
  • _02.jpg
    _02.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 321
  • _09.jpg
    _09.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 297
  • _13.jpg
    _13.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 275
  • _16-c.jpg
    _16-c.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 280

The Happy Squirrel

Wow. I am unfamiliar with Sacred Geometry but was just reading a book on Crowley's tarot and came across a discussion about the "vesica piscis" or fish bladder shape. So then I saw your High Priestess and there it is! Is there any reason why you chose this vesica as High Priestess?

The Happy Squirrel

I am also wondering if people who are more familiar with the Marseilles system and the Thoth (Crowley's) will find a richer experience with this deck?

Maveriker

The vescica pisces shows up in the division between singularity and duality. One of the things I find really interesting about the geometry of numbers is that the split from singularity to duality automatically creates the triplicate, or multiplicity because whenever we have two of something, there is an unspoken or unseen "in-between" that is the third.

So here, in the High Priestess, she represents a few dualities… but mainly the known and the unknown. In scenic depictions, she sits at the verge between the known and the unknown, or consciousness and the unconscious. She is the guardian (or simply the guide through the threshold — we're never totally sure) of the threshold between the two sides of duality.

For me, the real magic happens at the threshold. The knowledge she represents is not necessarily what is far and away beyond the curtain, but the illumination that occurs at the in-between, at that moment where we enter the veil between opposites… which in a way, is only a construct of our own minds, as are all divisions.

The geometry of the whole deck is based on the premise that whatever the number value of the card, the image is constructed by the same number of circles. As they overlap all these wonderful geometries and patterns emerge :)

The Happy Squirrel

Aha! Thanks for that! Just your short explanation there made the whole card of the high priestess come alive! Do you have a booklet with your deck of cards?

Maveriker

I am also wondering if people who are more familiar with the Marseilles system and the Thoth (Crowley's) will find a richer experience with this deck?

Yes, I do think it is more of a Marseilles-style deck in many ways, and probably Thoth-ers will find a lot of it relates to that deck as well.

I think what I love most about the Orbifold is that it doesn't tell you how to read it, it asks you to tap into what you already know about the principles represented by all these cards… and in doing so it opens many doors within consciousness. It's freeing in so many ways… but of course that freedom can be scary for some. In a way it tests you, but hopefully in a way that makes you more confident, it shows you that you know more than you think

The Happy Squirrel

Yes, I do think it is more of a Marseilles-style deck in many ways, and probably Thoth-ers will find a lot of it relates to that deck as well.

I think what I love most about the Orbifold is that it doesn't tell you how to read it, it asks you to tap into what you already know about the principles represented by all these cards… and in doing so it opens many doors within consciousness. It's freeing in so many ways… but of course that freedom can be scary for some. In a way it tests you, but hopefully in a way that makes you more confident, it shows you that you know more than you think

Maybe you should mention your deck in the Marseilles and Thoth subs too :) I have started a threat on your deck in the Thoth sub :) because I am genuinely curious about it since I am just beginning to explore the thoth system and all sorts of things opened up before me :)

AnjouTwo

Production delays

Michael posted an update earlier today, which (to wildly summarize his 17-minute video update) announced that he is on track now to ship the deck in early 2016. Copies can still be ordered and will ship with an unnamed bonus.