Hallowquest book question

oak_woman

I have just acquired the Hallowquest Arthurian, courtesy of the lovely Kissa. I didn't know which version it would be, and it's the one with the black borders, which I'm happy about. It came with a book, but somewhere in the back of my mind I'm sure I remember reading that there are various options here.

My question is this: does the newer edition of Hallowquest (now just the Arthurian Tarot) with the white borders come with a different book? And if so, is there anything to be gained from trying to find this book separately? And, just to complicate things, am I right in remembering that there may also be further book/s that delve more deeply into the meanings of the cards, by the same authors?

Any info appreciated!

rwcarter

I'm at work and my books are at home, but I have access to my spreadsheet that lists all my tarot books. I show the following books:

The Arthurian Tarot - A Hallowquest Handbook
The Arthurian Tarot Course

I believe the former is the book that comes with the set and the latter is the secondary book that you're thinking about.

HTH,
Rodney

Faolainn Storm

There are actually four books:

The Arthurian Tarot: A Hallowquest Handbook - the smallish book that comes with the cards (red in the original) - I'm not sure if this is the same in the new deck as the old deck
Hallowquest: Tarot Magic and the Arthurian Mysteries - The first companion book to the deck.
The Arthurian Tarot Course: A Quest for All Seasons - I can't tell you much about this book as I haven't been able to find a copy (yet :D).
And Hallowquest: the Arthurian Tarot Course - the very big blue book that combines most of the information from the two books above, with a little extra.

Of these Hallowquest: Tarot Magic and the Arthurian Mysteries and Hallowquest: The Arthurian Tarot Course are still available, though only second-hand, as none of them have been published since the mid 90's. I would recommend Hallowquest: the Arthurian Tarot Course if you can get a copy a a reasonable price.

Faolainn Storm

Aerin

Faolainn Storm said:
There are actually four books:

The Arthurian Tarot: A Hallowquest Handbook - the smallish book that comes with the cards (red in the original) - I'm not sure if this is the same in the new deck as the old deck

The new deck comes with a new, mini book rather than the original larger book, so now there are five books :S The little baby book has some questions to go with each card, which is a nice idea. It's a bit more than an LWB but is the same size as the deck. I have the old and the new versions: the old book / deck set has more information than the new.

I would recommend Hallowquest: the Arthurian Tarot Course if you can get a copy a a reasonable price.

I agree: Hallowquest: the Arthurian Tarot course is excellent if you can get hold of it. There is all sorts of useful information (e.g. I loved laying out ALL the cards in the way suggested, fabulous) and some great visualisations even if you aren't disciplined enough for the whole course. We started to do it here, but I think I only managed a couple of months.

Here's the link to the study group index which should give you an idea of
at least part of the book:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=87096&highlight=hallowquest

Aerin

oak_woman

Rodney, Faolainn Storm, Aerin - thank you all for taking the time and trouble to reply. From what you've said, it seems that the book that came with the deck will be a good starting point, but I'll keep a look out for the Hallowquest Course book, which sounds wonderful.

Thank you for the link to that thread, Aerin; I'll enjoy reading it.

oaks xx

G6

Hallowquest Handbook vs. The Arthurian Tarot Course

Not sure who is still around from this thread, but I'm wondering if someone can nutshell the difference and/or benefit of The Arthurian Tarot Course book from the red handbook that came with the 1st edition set? The red handbook seems to have pretty detailed descriptions of each card and some spreads in the back of the book. Thanks!

PathWalker

Hiya :) I'm still SLOWLY moving through the course, so here goes.

The course is a pack study and inner journey through the year, combined into one. The suits relate to the four main seasons of northern temperate zones,, the landscape cards to places and aspects of the Arthurian legends, and you meditate and journey all year, in a guided fashion, as the Seeker, learning about yourself and committing to the Quest.
I seethe Quest as a spiritual eco-warrioir kind-of-thing, but that may be a reflection of who I am and when we are living, another person may read it differently.

The latest version of the deck and book, which has black edges like the first, gold scrolls in the corners, larger book and large green box - has all the HallowQuest info in it if I remember rightly.

Last 2 posts in this thread talk about the newest edition http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=3402&page=2

The Quest material is also contained in other older books.
There's the yellow covered HallowQuest book entitled The Arthurian Tarot Course A QUest for All Seasons.

Or the larger blue covered book entitled HallowQuest The Arthurian Tarot Course.

(Smaller blue book called HallowQuest Tarot Magic and the Arthurian Mysteries does not contain all course material, although there is lots of overlap)

Hope that helps, could dig out ISBNs if you really needed.

Enjoy
PathWalker

G6

Hiya :) I'm still SLOWLY moving through the course, so here goes.

The course is a pack study and inner journey through the year, combined into one. The suits relate to the four main seasons of northern temperate zones,, the landscape cards to places and aspects of the Arthurian legends, and you meditate and journey all year, in a guided fashion, as the Seeker, learning about yourself and committing to the Quest.
I seethe Quest as a spiritual eco-warrioir kind-of-thing, but that may be a reflection of who I am and when we are living, another person may read it differently.

The latest version of the deck and book, which has black edges like the first, gold scrolls in the corners, larger book and large green box - has all the HallowQuest info in it if I remember rightly.

Last 2 posts in this thread talk about the newest edition http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=3402&page=2

The Quest material is also contained in other older books.
There's the yellow covered HallowQuest book entitled The Arthurian Tarot Course A QUest for All Seasons.

Or the larger blue covered book entitled HallowQuest The Arthurian Tarot Course.

(Smaller blue book called HallowQuest Tarot Magic and the Arthurian Mysteries does not contain all course material, although there is lots of overlap)

Hope that helps, could dig out ISBNs if you really needed.

Enjoy
PathWalker

Hey PW! Thanks for this info. I just happened upon the 1st edition. I thought the new edition with the course book in it had white borders? Anyhow I see the yellow cover book you mention above. I'm not sure I'll get it because the handbook I have, which is missing a page because the book is so old the binding dried out, seems to suit my purposes. Do you have all the editions?

PathWalker

The white arched bordered set is the second incarnation, comes in a 'deck-sized' box, with a small purple booklet. Third incarnation is back to black arched borders, but with the gold corner twiddles from the second set, in a big box with a full sized paperback book, that contains much more of what has been written to accompany the deck.

Yes I have them all, it is my daily working deck

:)