Bad luck after doing a tarot reading, coincidence?

Clear Autumn

I was never a believer when my friends (who had read tarot cards themselves) and other people I wasn't acquainted to kept telling me that reading tarot got them bad luck afterwards. How could it be true when so many people are reading tarot for years and still love doing so? I often read for myself and for others and never for once got a spark of bad luck because of my readings.

And then things changed.

A few days ago I did a reading for a friend. Starting the next day I've had three back-to-back black days: I was nearly hit by a car when I was on the crosswalk (when it was still green light!); I fell down on the stairs although they were not slippery; a big trouble at my work place, and more. I was reasonably agitated, kind of expecting my next "oh-no-here-we-go-again" to come. Till evetually, during my lunch break on the third day, under the afternoon sunshine when I was taking a stroll, a voice in my mind suddenly said, "Alright, it's finished. Back to normal life." My consecutive days of bad luck ended just like that.

I'm not suggesting that now I buy what my friends believe. I love doing tarot readings and would like keep doing so. But, after those three black days I'm having sort of PTSD, which hinders me doing any readings even if I want to. :(

Have you had such experience and how did you manage to overcome it? Or maybe I should ask how to protect oneself from becoming the "victim" of bad luck?

Grizabella

Life always goes in cycles like that. Even if you don't read the cards, you'll still have cycles of alternating great and not-great times. You shouldn't associate this with the cards.

BlueBlulle

Correlation does not equal causation. You pointed out that you have made many a reading without strings of bad-luck. This recent coincidence is an outlier, it does not line up with what you have already experienced.

When I first picked up tarot cards, I did tend to jump at every odd occurrence that happened. Until I looked at the overall history of my life, and see that things were occurring in pretty much the same fashion as before. I had just never focused on unfortunate occurrences before.

Protection from bad luck? My only advice, keep sunglasses in the car, especially on rainy days. Because sun glare on wet roads is evil. *nods authoritatively*

nisaba

My life is very much BETTER when I read all the time.

Seems to me you're being a bit supersititous.

SunChariot

I don't beleive there is a connection. It was just something that would have happened whether you do the reading or not. I've been reading 5 1/2 years and OFTEN and only good positiive things have come from it.

I do however believe that we can create our own luck with our beliefs. If we believe something is bad luck we can bring ourselves back luck around it. EG if you are afraid of walking under a ladder and you had too, your knees might shake and you might knock the thing over, when if you did not have that fear all would have been well. I do believe in the law of attraction also, so if you are convinced something is bad luck it is more likely to be so for you.

But there is nothing in the cards themselves that causes it.

Babs

WalesWoman

Check your horoscope, there is more likelihood of some bad stars and planetary stuff going on as anything else. I do not believe reading for anyone brings you bad luck, unless of course the reading wasn't well received and they cursed you with three days of bad luck. (I AM KIDDING!)

Some days just suck and seems like when that happens everything else that can go wrong finds a way to do just that. The only way to over come it is to do what Scarlett O'Hara did and dramatically put wrist to forehead, stand in the sunset in the ashes of the latest disaster and proclaim... "Tomorrow is another day!" and hope for the best.

tarotmama

SunChariot said:
I do however believe that we can create our own luck with our beliefs. If we believe something is bad luck we can bring ourselves back luck around it. EG if you are afraid of walking under a ladder and you had too, your knees might shake and you might knock the thing over, when if you did not have that fear all would have been well. I do believe in the law of attraction also, so if you are convinced something is bad luck it is more likely to be so for you.

But there is nothing in the cards themselves that causes it.

Absolutely! You might have subconsciously attracted unlucky energy. I love reading and always feel better afterward! I have been reading cards for, er, over ten years now!

DaisyDragonfly

Yes, it was a coincidence.

Tarot brings neither good nor bad luck. It simply brings information which we can choose to use or to ignore.

Sever

I agree with SunChariot and Tarotmama about the power of beliefs. I think the first unlucky event was a coincidence. After that, you started dreading more and when they happened, your fear grabbed you and said "see, I was right!". I experience it myself: when I expect bad things to happen, they do! Think of before you were aware of this "tarot brings bad luck" superstition. Did you have any bad luck then?? So you don't have to be a 'victim' unless you choose to be. As for me, I read tarot all the time and I haven't noticed my luck change for the better or worse.

Myrrha

I don't think you attracted bad luck to yourself either through using tarot or through believing tarot is bad luck.

Here is a list of what psychologists call cognitive biases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

One of them is called "confirmation bias". People tend to interpret whatever happens in a way that confirms their expectations.

You might have, just a little bit, believed your friends all along about tarot bringing bad luck and that belief might have caused you to notice several bad things happening to you and associate them with the tarot reading.

If you had just died your hair blonde and then three unpleasant things happened to you would you think coloring your hair caused the bad luck? Probably not becuase there isn't any expectation.

Grizabella is right, these things happen and it isn't related to your tarot reading.