Spiritual acquisitiveness, cultural misappropriation (and Tarot decks)

KafkasGhost

Because we're dealing with so much "gray area" and subjectivity in something like tarot, that gray area and subjectivity is going to expand further when we look at themed decks.

The difference between intention and effects can become a chasm and perception (as gray area and subjective as that is) can make it more so.

If LS's (and any other publisher's) _intention_ is to celebrate diversity and bring aspects of other cultures and spiritual practices to its constituents' awareness, then that is indeed admirable. The _effect_ however is subject to individual perception and the Truth, often things we cannot control. Someone is bound to be offended, find inconsistencies, and someone is sure to be delighted, informed, and curious.

irmata

I've been wanting to contribute to this discussion, but haven't known how to say what I mean to say. tarotmama, you made it clear (just so you know I'm not picking on you at all)!

tarotmama said:
I mean, would anyone think it's a good idea to make a tarot based on Jewish culture and just skirt around the whole issue of the Holocaust?
Jewish _culture_ has little to do with the Holocaust. The Holocaust is part of Jewish _history_.** This difference between culture and history is what it all comes down to, for me. Does the LS Shaman explore culture, or history? Yes, the two are intertwined, but a culture is defined by so much more than the atrocities committed against it. To focus on this aspect is more disrespectful in my eyes, as it brings the attention back to _those who committed the crimes_.

I don't mean "sweep it under the rug", either. I just feel that there is a distinct difference between who a people are at their core, in their DNA, in the way they live and interact with people who share their heritage, than how history portrays them. After all, history is written by the victors, so it's all very dodgy anyway.

For my own experience of culture vs. history there's this: I am a white, white girl. And I mean "white" because thanks to my Celtic and other misc. European genetics, I am impervious to the browning effects of sunlight (there's some Romany and Moorish floating around in the background, but the paleness is overpowering.) I was born in Africa to first gen. immigrants and lived there for 25 years. Now I am an immigrant, living in North America. How do I identify? As an African. _That_ is my culture. And no matter how much Oprah wishes otherwise, I will always be more African than she, despite my race or ancestral _history_, just as the children of Irish-born immigrants living on the eastern seaboard will always be more Irish than me.

How do I see _myself_? As a member of the human race and part of a greater, indefinable whole, which trumps all. I am a dirty, dirty eclectic pagan. Yes, one of those who borrows bits and pieces from all over, never committing to anything ;) This isn't disrespect; it's all _ours_. I work with what feels right to me. Why would I want to chain myself to some narrow little belief because that's what I'm historically entitled to?

And before this enters seriously tl;dr territory: I understand where Lillie was coming from in the other thread and I even agree with her. And Ric, you have explained yourself wonderfully. I hope this debate can continue as the levelheaded discussion it has been so far. I live for having my views s t r e t c h e d!

* Because tone is so hard to convey, please note than none of this is angry (except maybe the Oprah part) or anywhere approaching offended by anything anyone has said.
** Before anyone gets upset about this, I claim Jewish heritage, so I'm "allowed" to have this opinion ;)

rachelcat

I’d like to jump in here on behalf of Oprah! (I don’t really know much about Oprah, I really mean for African-Americans who claim African culture/heritage.) (I’m white American.)

Although it may also be “cultural appropriation,” I would say the appropriation of African culture by African-Americans is of a special kind. If you grew up in a culture where it is “understood” that you are dirty, stupid, and ugly simply because of your genetics, it certainly makes sense that you would want to find out about your genetic ancestors and see what that’s all about. And when you find your ancestors were cultured, smart, and beautiful, wouldn’t you rather claim THAT for your own than what your society has handed you?

I am all for the ABILITY to sever genetics from culture (I’m a Buddhist . . .), but if people want to make that link (my great-grandfather came from Scotland, so I want to know all about Scotland), then that’s good, too! But we’re not all wonderful scholarly or social researchers who always get the culture we are “appropriating” as “right” as we could, or as people do who are brought up in it. That’s an opportunity for sharing, not ridicule or anger. (Ok, maybe some frustration is ok . . .:))

And what about location, as opposed to genetics or majority culture? I’m just beginning to face this in my studies/exploration now. I would really like to know how the natives of this place understood nature and the seasons and astronomical phenomena FOR THIS PLACE. But I have always shied away from bogus appropriation of Native American culture. So that’s an issue I’ve been thinking about.

I know that Victorian spiritualists often had Indian spirit guides. Real or bogus? And I was always a bit shocked by the Indians in Peter Pan. I always thought, “Indians aren’t storybook characters, they’re real people who are still around.” Unlike pirates, and I would add unlike ancient Egyptians, Etruscans, and even pre-historic matriarchal “primitives.”

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents. I am following this thread with interest . . .

kittiann

This is such a difficult subject to explore..

I think it's wrong when someone takes something of deep spiritual significance to a group of people and uses it for a pretty, 'cultured' decoration. Examples: I have some friends with dreamcatchers in their homes that know nothing and want to know nothing about Native Americans; they just think they're pretty. Or a white family I know, with zero connection to Africa, that decorates their hallway with African tribal masks. It's just degrading to the culture and the spirituality from which those things origionally came. Even fake yoga bothers me.. fine, go to your stretchy class at the gym, but please stop pretending it's this authentic spiritual Hindu thing. Just call it 'stretching and breathing' or something. It's not yoga. Or an eclectic pagan claims that Demeter and Kali are all just aspects of the Great Goddess, and can be treated exactly the same. That's just not how it works, and it's offensive to the cultures involved when people claim that it does.

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to learn more about a specific culture, or wanting to incorporate a spiritual idea or philosophy into your own way of life. I myself have spent a lot of time exploring Taoism and Buddhism, and they've definitely impacted my spirituality hugely. What I have a problem with is taking specific practices, usually without any idea what they're intended for or what they mean, and just kind of gluing them on to an existing spirituality. Like a Wiccan putting a giant statue of Buddha in his or her bedroom. Those philosophies are contradictory at many points, and without taking the time to work through that and learn about the other faith, it just means nothing.

Another thing that irks me is when people try to enter a culture and worship gods or goddesses they have no connection with (or even a negative connection with!). This happens a lot in the pagan community.. a friend of mine was bound and determined to work with some local Native American deities, because she 'felt such a connection to the land and the people' but it just wasn't working out. Come to find out, one of her ancestors had played a large part in suppressing and corralling that group of Native Americans on to their reservation. It was offensive to the deities that she even try to contact them.

I guess my point is this - alternative spirituality is good. Obviously, the world is a better place because we're not all white evangelical Christians. But if you choose to borrow from another culture, do it with the utmost reverence and respect, and be very careful. The land has a long memory, and so do the deities that dwell there. If you want to be a Hindu even though you live in North America and are very white, make some effort. Travel to the Ganges, learn some Hindi, find a Hindu temple where someone who knows that they're talking about can guide you further. Don't just do what feels right and expect it all to work out okay and nobody to be offended.

Debra

Tarot has "appropriated" imagery since the early "esoteric" decks added all that Egyptian stuff. Kabbalah, Hebrew lettering, Thoth, etc.--all grabbed from other cultures and thrown on to the cards.

To really avoid "appropriation," you could use artists and writers from the culture that's being depicted on the cards.

Shade

Very tricky topic but I think you have worded things beautifully Ric regarding this delicate topic.

I noticed several people in the other thread brought up the very valid question "why is it ok for culture A and not culture B." I think that is because we can't always equate culture A and culture B.

I love going to Greek festivals and the Greek folks putting these on love to have us non-Greeks there. They love trying to teach us how to dance, about the food, and about the music. They think it's funny that most of us non-Greeks seem to think Greek culture is all about crumbling marble temples and Spartans. But... the Greeks in California have never had their land taken from them by Anglo Saxons.

When a culture or group of cultures, let's use the Indians as an example, have said that largely they aren't interested in the idea of Anglo-Saxon shaman, is it ok for us to say "But we find it so moving and inspirational, we can't help what nationality we were born and raised."

tigerlily

Can this dilemma ever be solved? If Tarot depicts nothing but the European middle ages, people will complain that it's not inclusive of other cultures. If it depicts other cultures, people will complain about cultural theft. If someone of a non-European culture would design a "themed" Tarot deck, I'm sure people would complain that they're selling out their culture. Not that I'm belittling the problem of appropriation - but I can see how it creates a paradoxical situation in regard to Tarot, for example.

victoria.star

RiccardoLS said:
When I use a Native American deck... I imagine a world where spirits walk the land, where the relationship between man and nature is two-way, where the adult see himself as a warrior.

Ric
I love this, Ric. To me, this is the heart of Tarot...the opening of the imagination into realms heretofore untraveled...or well-trodden.

What key unlocks these doors to worlds gone by, worlds existing in tandem, worlds within worlds, worlds yet to be realized? For each Tarot Seeker, the answer may be different...Images from cultures 'foreign' or 'fantastical' might unlock sleeping memories or desires and catapult the collective consciousness and/or unconsciousness to new heights and understandings.

I guess I believe that the geographical surroundings have their own song to sing and cultures that spring up within certain locations reflect the spirit of the land...I guess I also believe that this spirit can be accessed by many who are not physically bound by or to that specific area...

In the Ether, where I guess I believe Tarot and Human Experience connect, perhaps these areas are available to all...

(no offense meant to anyone anywhere... :heart: )

Naneki

kittiann said:
Another thing that irks me is when people try to enter a culture and worship gods or goddesses they have no connection with (or even a negative connection with!). This happens a lot in the pagan community.. a friend of mine was bound and determined to work with some local Native American deities, because she 'felt such a connection to the land and the people' but it just wasn't working out. Come to find out, one of her ancestors had played a large part in suppressing and corralling that group of Native Americans on to their reservation. It was offensive to the deities that she even try to contact them.

I guess my point is this - alternative spirituality is good. Obviously, the world is a better place because we're not all white evangelical Christians. But if you choose to borrow from another culture, do it with the utmost reverence and respect, and be very careful. The land has a long memory, and so do the deities that dwell there. If you want to be a Hindu even though you live in North America and are very white, make some effort. Travel to the Ganges, learn some Hindi, find a Hindu temple where someone who knows that they're talking about can guide you further. Don't just do what feels right and expect it all to work out okay and nobody to be offended.

I agree with some of your points, however, like I said on the other thread, there is not one culture that has not attempted to destroy and or subdue another in one form or another. The land is not the only thing with long memories as today's current world politics reflect. I agree that people should study considerably before they incorporate something from another culture's spirituality. That is just smart and respectful. Yet other cultures can be enjoyed and appreciated by all; even those who cannot or do not wish to make a study of them.

Today we speak in terms of "world economy", "world politics" because with current technology the world is much smaller than experienced by any other generation in the past. If we are respectful to all, acknowledge all cultures as the treasures they are, maybe it's time we move into a time of "world culture". I can't help but feel that the mentality of continually reflecting on the differences between "us" and "them" just seems to help open the door that leads to negative appropriation and many other problems as well.

tarotmama

Debra said:
Tarot has "appropriated" imagery since the early "esoteric" decks added all that Egyptian stuff. Kabbalah, Hebrew lettering, Thoth, etc.--all grabbed from other cultures and thrown on to the cards.

To really avoid "appropriation," you could use artists and writers from the culture that's being depicted on the cards.

I suppose that's a good point too.

I guess I can see both sides of the issue, but it is something that does require delicacy, tact and compassion most of all I think.

I don't know of any Indian artists making tarots (and I've never actually LOOKED because it just really doesn't appeal to me), but I'd be interested in one for sure. I do think it's important to understand other cultures and their mythology -- but when we (as in, white people in cultures with a history of imperialism and oppression) re-write that mythology to be more glamorous and to suit our own needs, I think it's maybe not so cool.

I guess I also kind of wonder who is profiting from the creation of such decks? Is it someone with a heartfelt investment in the people that they're "borrowing" from, or is it someone who is just picking up on market trends and looking to make a few dollars?

An example is the supremely beautiful Roots of Asia. When I look at this deck, I feel like the artist was genuinely engaged with that part of the world, that place and the people there.

Whereas the idea that some decks, that are created from concepts floating around a publishing house, based on current market trends, just don't give me the same sense of devotion to the subject.

Hmm. I have lots of mixed feelings on this! But it's been good for me to explore my own assumptions too.