Spiritual acquisitiveness, cultural misappropriation (and Tarot decks)

Shade

Oh definitely not, that's why I also added that no culture "owns" shamanism. Many cultures use similar practices so to me drumming to enter a trance state is not "playing Indian."

greycats

The name of this website is Aeclectic Tarot. Let us not forget.

I remember when I first began upon the path I've been walking for the past 20 years. I was born into the predominant tradition of the western world. I'd been confined to one set of beliefs, one set of images. When I finally stepped outside of it (a process that took years in itself) I was astounded at the richness that lay before me. I wanted to taste everything, breathe it, swim in it, try it on. And I did. It was a broad, shallow approach--this is true--but I don't apologize for it. Everyone starts out in shallow waters. The beginning of anything, including tarot, doesn't have much depth. It can't.

Those who are busy helping themselves to a metaphysical smorgasbord remind me of myself, back when. I expect that like I did they'll eventually encounter spiritual indigestion, go back and figure out what made them sick and pare down their appetites. One day they'll find some combination that satisfies and gives them health. At least, that's what spiritual eclectics do.

If you want to stick to one tradition, I've no problem with that. Most of my friends do. And lots of people have only one tarot deck. Or they stick to only one format: RWS or Thoth or TdM, whatever. Nothing wrong with any of that. But neither is it wrong to try out something you think you might love. How do you know it's something you might love? In the words of Alice Koller, you "walk towards it smiling."

KafkasGhost

greycats said:
The name of this website is Aeclectic Tarot. Let us not forget.

I remember when I first began upon the path I've been walking for the past 20 years. I was born into the predominant tradition of the western world. I'd been confined to one set of beliefs, one set of images. When I finally stepped outside of it (a process that took years in itself) I was astounded at the richness that lay before me. I wanted to taste everything, breathe it, swim in it, try it on. And I did. It was a broad, shallow approach--this is true--but I don't apologize for it. Everyone starts out in shallow waters. The beginning of anything, including tarot, doesn't have much depth. It can't.

Those who are busy helping themselves to a metaphysical smorgasbord remind me of myself, back when. I expect that like I did they'll eventually encounter spiritual indigestion, go back and figure out what made them sick and pare down their appetites. One day they'll find some combination that satisfies and gives them health. At least, that's what spiritual eclectics do.

If you want to stick to one tradition, I've no problem with that. Most of my friends do. And lots of people have only one tarot deck. Or they stick to only one format: RWS or Thoth or TdM, whatever. Nothing wrong with any of that. But neither is it wrong to try out something you think you might love. How do you know it's something you might love? In the words of Alice Koller, you "walk towards it smiling."

I like the way you put this. :thumbsup:

victoria.star

greycats said:
But neither is it wrong to try out something you think you might love. How do you know it's something you might love? In the words of Alice Koller, you "walk towards it smiling."
Yes! That's it! And smiles, if I am not mistaken (and it is probable that I am), transcend most cultural boundaries! :) :) :) :)

Carla

greycats said:

Thanks for saying this, greycats. I have to admit I was a bit hurt when Gregory said on the other thread that 'Spiritual acquisitiveness is nasty' and that those who have an eclectic spiritual practice can't 'genuinely commit to anything.' I myself have an eclectic practice. Having helped myself to that 'metaphysical smosgasbord' you refer to, I've gone back with a clean plate and filled it up with my favourite things, in reasonable portions. I'm not having a go at Gregory, but that phrase stung me a bit and has stuck in my mind. (Although I've had similar thoughts about people who seem to flirt in the most superficial kind of way with some truly deep and beautiful esoteric traditions...)

I haven't thought about this issue much yet in terms of tarot, but as my spiritual journey has taken me down many interesting and unexpected roads, I have certainly thought about it in that context. Truth is just Truth. I've picked and chosen the elements and imagery and the rituals that cause Truth to resonate in me, and they come from all sorts of traditions, and I'm happy with the result. If certain themes in tarot can do that for people, then that's great. Whether certain decks are simply marketing gimmicks I don't know, but even if they are, if they end up being helpful tools for people, then good has come of it.

Maybe I'm a Pollyanna.

Naneki

Nothing wrong about being a Pollyanna, Carla!!! I have to admit to being one too! =)

Naneki

greycats I remember when I first began upon the path I've been walking for the past 20 years. I was born into the predominant tradition of the western world. I'd been confined to one set of beliefs said:
I love the way you put this, Greycats! You could be describing me 25 years ago! LOL

gregory

I have been thinking a lot about this over dinner....

Christianity, as it now is, appropriated all sorts of stuff, not least from paganism, and from the Romans and from the druids - Saturnalia, for instance - and we don't boycott it as a result.

Did Hermann Hesse misappropriate Buddhism when he wrote Siddhartha, or Roman Catholicism when he wrote Narziss and Goldmund ? (He did not subscribe to either one for himself !) I don't think so. I think when we create something - a tarot deck or whatever - we are at least in part trying to reinterpret something in terms that we can understand it. As in Native American culture (and there is no such animal; there are thousands of them, but that's another story !) which we don't know that well but would like to know better, in terms of tarot which we do know.

The whole of history and art and literature is about borrowing and adapting and so on. Nothing is frozen in time, nor should it be.

gregory

Carla said:
Thanks for saying this, greycats. I have to admit I was a bit hurt when Gregory said on the other thread that 'Spiritual acquisitiveness is nasty' and that those who have an eclectic spiritual practice can't 'genuinely commit to anything.' I myself have an eclectic practice. Having helped myself to that 'metaphysical smosgasbord' you refer to, I've gone back with a clean plate and filled it up with my favourite things, in reasonable portions. I'm not having a go at Gregory, but that phrase stung me a bit and has stuck in my mind. (Although I've had similar thoughts about people who seem to flirt in the most superficial kind of way with some truly deep and beautiful esoteric traditions...)
Oh dear - I only just saw this, and I am sorry. You have clearly done this with - shall I say - genuine thought and taken on what you have for good and thoughtful reasons. What I meant was the kind of person who rather fancies a bit of Buddhism cos they look so calm, and would like to be a shaman cos then they can heal people, and Tarot's good cos the cards are nice and you can carry them around, and you don't want to miss out on church and the wine, cos ritual is attractive, and paganism is nice cos you like trees. And a bit of wicca would be good cos then you can cast a love spell and get that guy in the post room. (The kind, indeed, who buys that Mind Body Spirit set - 181 magazines complete with goodies, which teach you "everything" from Astrology to Feng Shui, in teeny bits - and then expects to be a part of everything it described.)

There IS a difference between that sort of person (probably not anyone here, I think ?) and the kind - like you - who thinks about these things and needs to relate to trees and to astrology because they can see connections and so on. Do you see what I mean ? Your flirts are just the kind of people I mean and the kind you aren't !