Public display of deck affection

lark

hmmm I sometimes wait days to open tarot packages...I have to emotionally work my way up to it....I love the torture of expectation.

OctoberGwen

canid said:
What's a SAHM? And my mail comes to my home too. Sometimes I wish I had a po box & wouldn't have to wait on a mail carrier's schedule. We're at the end of it.

Stay At Home Mom. And I just read your post about ripping it open on the way back to the door...LOL. I'm not that skilled, I just scurry back in as fast as I can. It's usually lunch time and sometimes I have to actually feed my children before I can open it. It kills me!! :D

Le Fanu

canid said:
Don't worry, I'm insured.
Oh that's all right then...
lark said:
hmmm I sometimes wait days to open tarot packages...I have to emotionally work my way up to it....I love the torture of expectation.
OMG, did you hear that? How? I mean why? I mean, what on earth...

OctoberGwen

Le Fanu said:
What's that Oprah campaign; don't text and drive? What about "don't tear open tarot packages while driving"!

Take the pledge!

Hahahaha.....

I haven't got any good shops here (I refuse to buy decks at Barnes & Noble), so really it's all mail order for me.

I like to sit down and savor the opening process, anyway, if I can. Does that mean I have good self control?

Flaxen

I have to open a deck as soon as I get it. I've been crouched in shop doorways out of the rain, sitting in a local cafe with the deck furtively in my lap, on the train on the way back from a visit to Watkins.

Most of my decks come by post though so I'm usually salivating privately. :)

It's the occasional trips to esoteric bookshops in London that leave me publicly exposed in my new deck affection.

strings of life

Le Fanu said:
I am among the first to arrive at work and as most of my decks get sent to work where there is always a secretary there to receive them, I go into the privacy of my office and open up uninterrupted. If it were later in the day I wouldn't get a minute's peace and would never be able to open them.

So often the secretaries are wittering on at me about something or other and I have a goodie package under my arm from an AT trade or Alida or baba store or something and I just want to slap them and run to my ofiice, tear open and GORGE like that Queen (of Swords?) in the Barbara Walker Tarot! :D

Reacting to a new deck is such a private matter, I try to avoid opening in public. But there have been spectacular fails, like stopping in the middle of the street and just not being able to control oneself! :D :D :D
I used to have my own office--and a nice one at that, with a grand view of the Empire State building--but we have switched to an open floor plan. Many companies are doing that these days. When I had an office, I would partake in the same enjoyment as you, but now I have two options:

1) Domestic decks are shipped home. I open those when I get home. I am patient with these arrivals. Wait, that's not always true. Who am I kidding?
2) International decks are shipped to work. I can't open them in my cubicle :|. I already have it decorated with The Answer Deck cards on one entire wall, and Crowstones in a basket with crystals and shells, 60's-era Sci Fi books line one wall (I work in publishing) and...

[stay away from the crazy person's cubicle]

So, sometimes, I must open them on the way home from work. I simply cannot wait. I have also opened packages on the way to the subway/train while walking. I may have even been muttering to myself. Who knows. We do what we must, for the love of Tarot!

hunter said:
My addiction is out of control. I'm not a closet reader, and am no better than a drinker who drinks in public. My problem is right out here for all to see. At least I have not curled up in a corner yet, cuddling my deck, because I am too overcome to make it home. Is that the next step for some of us?
I am laughing [silently in my cubicle]. See muttering to oneself comment above.

canid said:
Yep, I'm right there with ya. Except for the highrises. If it comes by mail, I'm usually expecting it & greeting my mailman at the road, who now 'knows'. Then I'm ripping into it & by the time I reach the front door I've got packages & parcels hanging from my mouth & under my arms, trying to reach the treasure, which is usually open before I go through the door if I can pull that blessed tab. Don't you just hate it when the tab on the shrink wrap isn't working properly? You have to go get a knife, carefully insert it hoping not to scratch a card...
My postwoman knows too. I work from home on Fridays and if multiple packages arrive, I am there to great her. I greedily take everything and start opening on the way to the kitchen since I, too, almost always need a knife or scissor to open trade packages.

MysticalMoose

My Postman knows too. He banged enthusiatically on my door yesterday morning shouting "Are you INNNNN? - its a parcel FROM THE CZECH REPUBLIC!!!!" :D I opened the door & grabbed it that fast I almost yanked him inside with my long awaited Pewters!! - he has even been knows to accost me streets away while I'm out with the dog, shouting, "another box for you Becki!" - After which I have juggled the dog lead from one hand to another to tear the package open to peek in while I'm almost running home....
Yes, I do rip open packages at the traffic lights also, if I'm at work when Postie tries to deliver something thats too big or requires a signature I have to collect next day from the local sorting office & if I have time I open it as soon as I get in the car for a quick perusal. If I'm in a hurry, i.e if I go before work I have to move off right away but can't contain my excitement so at every stop or pause I rip a bit of envelope til I can peer in greedily! but... Knowing my luck the traffic is moving quickly & I have to wait until I arrive on the car park at work to actually get the deck/bag/whatever out & hold it in my hands properly!

Flaxen

MysticalMoose said:
if I'm at work when Postie tries to deliver something thats too big or requires a signature I have to collect next day from the local sorting office

Definitely, even though it means a detour on the way to work. I also have to get it in person so I can look at it straight away. I can't cope if my OH goes to pick it up and then has it sitting on his desk all day while I have to wait until he comes home.

Altena

Must say I'm a very patient person. I'm also very private when it comes to decks so I never open them when anyone else is around and absolutely not out on the streets. If a slip arrives from the post office telling me that I need to pick up a new package it can take days(even up to one-two weeks) before I finally go and pick them up(of course it depends on what deck it is, sometimes I go and get them right after grabbing the slip from the mailbox).

At times I can even go for hours without opening a package, even if it's right there on my desk/bed :D