Public display of deck affection

SarahRacheal

I'm getting withdrawal reading these, it's been too long since I had a tarot delivery!
When I do get round to ordering a new deck (always online, Newcastle is rubbish for tarot!) I have my own little drama, I try to drag out the excitement. The box is taken into the bedroom-never the lounge. I sit on the bed like a kid and rip off paper and plastic wrap like a mad woman. If I'm given a deck as a gift and I'm not home I have no issues what so ever opening it then and there and physically forcing the gift giver to look through it with me :D

Umbrae

a good friend of mine and I like to go to licensed premises in the middle of the bible belt and study decks card by card, often discussing as we go. Folks will stick their heads in and question what we're doing - and we tell them.

Sometimes readings result, sometimes discussions result.

When folks question Tarot, its validity, or its 'satanic' aspects, we end up in a wonderful enlightening discussion.

Sometimes is great to educate the masses, and convert them over to - the Dark Side…Mwahahahahahahaha

Cerulean

Shameless

-I am shameless.

I have a half-key as a straight edge and three pairs of dollar store scissors, so one is usually on me.

Sometimes I will wait until I sit down, but I have been known to do the following just as I walk along--the trick is to keep walking and look as innocent as the people tapping their phones or talking in public to the invisible listener somewhere else. If you mind what you are doing and avoid bumping into toddlers, cars and other pedestrians, it sometimes just looks like opening a game or CD/DVD.

The awful thing is if I am sitting in a cafe and then smell of soy ink or smoke or something hits you-- the set has be put away, as other people are eating or drinking. I usually will flatten boxes and cardboard trays flat and carry them home and put the cards in the small handbag or pocket of the purse. But I am not happy if I have to leave early because the set needs airing. If I have to air the sets for days or a week on the porch, that is not a plus.

I can dissemble a cardboard wrapping, rip off an mailing label, and sort the recyle bits while walking by the recycle bin and up a few steps-- from the time it takes to walk about ten to twenty steps and using my half-key for help. My shoulders have things hanging off them and I may have other things under my elbows or in my other fingers.

At home, the label is tossed in the shredder when I sort the mail from the front delivery chute and there's a set of cards or book waiting for me if I decide to put my stuff down.

If the set needs airing, it's on the porch before I sit down or start doing chores.

Silly me.

Cerulean
canid said:
Yep, I'm right there with ya. ...Don't you just hate it when the tab on the shrink wrap isn't working properly? You have to go get a knife, carefully insert it hoping not to scratch a card...

Lillie

I sit down in the living room and open any parcels slowly and carefully so I can recycle any packaging.

Mostly it gets dumped on the floor for an unspecified period of time (anything from a couple of days to a year and a half) before being taken up to the 'Big Box of Packing Stuff in the junk room.

Then I look at the deck.

I hate when the shrink wrap gets all staticy and sticks to my hands instead of going into the bin.

I hate it when a bubble wrap envelope has been recycled so many times I have to throw it away, because then I have to deal with my address on the front of it. It won't go through the shredder, I can't burn it in the kitchen because of the plastic backing...
Sometimes it just gets put with the good stuff just so I don't have to deal with it.

Little cardboard packing boxes are nice. I like those.

If I have to pick something up from the sorting office I always wait till I get home before I open it.

SarahRacheal

Lillie said:
I hate it when a bubble wrap envelope has been recycled so many times I have to throw it away, because then I have to deal with my address on the front of it. It won't go through the shredder, I can't burn it in the kitchen because of the plastic backing...
Sharpie over it and that will totally black out your address honey.

I came home yesterday to one of those postman notes!!!! I have nothing on order and it says small packet-thats postman code for tarot deck yes?
I'm going to pick it up on my way to work but may have to open it on the way there, oh the people on the metro are in for a fun trip :D

Rosanne

When I received packages from Tarot Garden- I read with great enthusiasm all the paper stuffing- how much you pay for furniture, cheese, cars,houses etc.
I got this meat page once and I was gobsmacked at the price. I think it should be compulsory to package with Newspaper (along with the bubble wrap of course)....then came a cup of tea..then came working out how much pre- packaged food was consumed...then the Decks...only two decks have ever been eclipsed by the Newspapers- even after smoothing out the wrinkles. I even know who the local candidates are :D Who is doing what to whom and who is not paying...far more predictive than Tarot, when it comes winging away down here.

Yes I have unwrapped decks in Public, in the shop, at the traffic lights when grid locked...I am not good at delayed gratification. Then the traffic moves and I curse.

~Rosanne

BelovedK

canid said:
What's a SAHM?/QUOTE]
Stay at home mom (as I know it)

I usually wait until it is private before I peruse a new deck, but I just got the Sacred Art Tarot, and I opened it in the car , beautiful. IDK, I feel really private about it unless I'm with a group of my Tarot friends.

214red

i like parcels so i always open then straight away, that includes anything sent to me.
I often have a deck out on a commuter tube train in the morning, keeps my hands busy!
I got some interesting looks when i was out with the sensual wicca today though, priceless

ilweran

SarahRacheal said:
I came home yesterday to one of those postman notes!!!! I have nothing on order and it says small packet-thats postman code for tarot deck yes?

lol :D

I have occaisionally waited - With the SE Shadowscapes I couldn't wait to go pick up the parcel so walked to get it even though I didn't really know where I was going or how far it was, but once I had it I didn't open it until the evening :bugeyed:

On the other hand I have opened new decks on the bus or train home, or occasionally as soon as I've stepped out the shop - but the latter is only if I'm with my fiance as he makes sure I don't walk out into roads without looking!

Chiriku

PDTA? (Public Display of Tarot Affection)?

Never!

The idea is anathema to me.

A cafe is bad enough to me; a train or bus boggles the mind!

I don't know if this is a holdover from my days visiting my childhood home when I was first getting into tarot as a young adult and having to hide my decks in my bedroom (still reserved for me) because any whiff of "the occult" sent my orthodoxly ultra-religious family into paroxysms.

Even though I live alone in a large ideologically diverse city (where people do far stranger things on the bus than look at tarot cards), the instinct for privacy in tarot-related things remains.

Also, I don't want to have to answer questions about them from passerby. Especially since, as someone said upthread, people are often naturally drawn to the pictures and want to --GASP--hold the deck and even shuffle it.

No, no, no!