• Male

Votes: 54 39.1%
  • Female

Votes: 84 60.9%
  • "Other" (please post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gregory

Well it doesn't seem to be showing that, actually. And yes - I don't see the point either - but people in the other thread wanted a poll, and so as I knew how to post one, I did.

And yes - the brevity was deliberate, as I do actually know men tend to co-operate more with short polls... (I used to work in market research...)

Shade

Why does everyone have to over-analyse this? Is it so important? Will the world end next week before we come to the final answer? I feel the 'other' thread is a wasteful exercise in nothingness, and the more we have to 'define' what we mean by voting this way or that just compounds and expands the problem rather than clarifying it.

Is the world predicated upon such tiny terms as these?

I'm surprised this has to be such a hot button issue. Is the topic of gender and tarot important? I think it's as least as interesting as many of the other things we go on about on the forums. The connection between the concept of intuition and the concept of femininity is as old as the High Priestess card. I'm specifically surprised that you are irked by this topic as you wrote Every Man's Tarot: Tarot and the Male Experience.

From the book description:

"Believing that 98% of Tarot books are written by women for other women, [the author] has used his years of Tarot knowledge and experience to create card meanings that apply to men and men's situations. He removed the coy Victorian concepts stifling the cards and created a male-defined Tarot concept; part Tarot, and part men's life experiences and philosophies, with a touch of locker room talk. This concept applies to all men, straight, gay, or bisexual."

If there was a need for a book on Tarot from the male experience (and I agree that there was and am delighted one has been written) then why is a topic on whether more women read tarot than men verboten?

celticnoodle

IMHO ~ the 'other' thread needed to be ended after the first post.

So, what do we 'prove' when we discover that 90% of card readers are women QED so it skews the results that more women use Tarot than the 10% men that do?

What 'other' thread? I'm missing something.

tarotbear

If there was a need for a book on Tarot from the male experience (and I agree that there was and am delighted one has been written) then why is a topic on whether more women read tarot than men verboten?

It's not verboten; it's merely redundant. Does anyone expect there are more men than women reading tarot?

MikeTheAltarboy

The connection between the concept of intuition and the concept of femininity is as old as the High Priestess card.

So, since 1781 when Court de Gébelin first so titled it? ;)

akirafist

Seems like a lot of men have the ideas for tarot, then get women to do the actual work of drawing it for them. Just something I've noticed. :)

(I'm a man, and I read tarot!)

Barefoot Fool

One of the things I got out of this poll is: men enjoy doing short polls more then women.

...wait! Let's do a poll on that. I (woman) like doing polls because I can see the answers right away. However, I really like answering in essay (like this) if I think people are going to actually think about what I write.

This poll doesn't have to "prove" anything other than cultural tendencies, which are always interesting if you are the sort of person who finds them so. I do, but we could take a poll...