What about those Skeptics?

RaySusilo

So, how do you respond to Skeptics people? They will find a way to disprove Tarot, simply called "debunking", if I am not wrong with the terms... I find them and their arguings, showing proofs, etc. as just a show-off. For me personally, I think they have a weak sense of power, and to equilibriate that, they are trying to get people to buy into their "proofs". They had to show people why they are right and others are wrong. I find that I cannot deal with such people with respect.

mused

I typically don't respond to people like that and simply agree to disagree and go about my merry way. I've found it's not worth my time to debate with people that are just in it for the sake of arguing and trying to find ways to prove you wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.

Though it can be a bit intimidating being challenged if you're new to a subject and/or still forming your own opinions it's not always a bad thing. Sometimes a challenge every now and then is nice as it helps to evolve and/or strengthen our core beliefs on a topic.

gregory

I just say we must agree to differ. Which is what I also say to Witnesses at the door and people whose politics are terrifyingly (by my lights) different from my own.

They have as much right to believe what they believe as we do.

The only times I enter into anything is if someone is harming someone - I will speak out when people are being racist, homophobic, or are being bullies over personal issues like abortion.

I don't give a toss what these people want to produce in the way of proof. Just as they don't give a toss about any proof I can offer. Who cares ?

RaySusilo

Well, I don't give a care about what they thought actually, each of us eventually had to go separate ways. Better to waste breaths on other more important matters.

2dogs

I suppose some of us try things and if they work for us then we tend to believe in them.

RaySusilo

It's also about the way they show how wrong is wrong is really disturbing me, because they tend to impose their ideas of what is what. I feel they are disturbing my comfy personal sphere, especially on Facebook.

Sulis

I think that everyone is entitled to believe what they like so I just leave them be.. I wouldn't like it if someone started preaching to me and trying to convince me that whatever they believed in was right so I'd never try to change the views of someone who was adamant that tarot is wrong or a a load of rubbish.
I've been a vegetarian for most of my life and I've come across many meat eaters who have tried to convince me that they are right and I'm wrong just as some people do with tarot. I can't be bothered with arguing with people about belief systems, it's not worth the aggravation.

seedcake

So, how do you respond to Skeptics people? They will find a way to disprove Tarot, simply called "debunking", if I am not wrong with the terms... I find them and their arguings, showing proofs, etc. as just a show-off. For me personally, I think they have a weak sense of power, and to equilibriate that, they are trying to get people to buy into their "proofs". They had to show people why they are right and others are wrong. I find that I cannot deal with such people with respect.

Lately, pretty well. I did a reading for a sceptic friend. She likes the beginning but told the ending result is a mistake 'cause solution is impossible - any decision can't be made. Well, in general I don't believe there's no solution, 'cause I've seen it and it made a bit disturbed that she was saying that people in her family can't make decisions anymore. It wasn't even about Tarot cards. I just told her, your father can make decision on his own, he has power to do so but all I hear was no no no. I think being sceptic in this way is the most dangerous. But at least, she decided to have this reading. My other sceptic friend loves to have readings, lol. She doesn't believe in them but like to get them. Funny, 'cause it makes her believing. So far, I have very friendly sceptics.

RaySusilo

seedcake, that's a nice experience there. If only people are more understanding of each other, rather than being a bully just because someone don't share their point of view. :(

seedcake

seedcake, that's a nice experience there. If only people are more understanding of each other, rather than being a bully just because someone don't share their point of view. :(

Truth is I'm a bit hidden with my Tarot readings. I just know who I can tell. Mostly, I was right and even if not, nobody wanted to tell how weird hobby I have.

I agree with Sulis, there's no need to argue about it. I believe in what I want, end of story. We have the right to have our own opinions.