Professional tarot readers

celticnoodle

They usually don't seem to grasp that we do tons of readings and don't remember 99.9% of them. It's nothing derogatory about them as sitters, but we just can't keep that many readings on file in our brains. Besides that, I don't think we're supposed to remember most of our readings.

Yes, I know. People do think I 'remember' them and the reading(s) I've done for them. Sometimes, I might actually recall a reading, though not the person it went to. This is generally when it is something big, or weird. Like the one woman who came in for a reading and earlier that day, a spirit kept coming to me, waving and smiling. I couldn't get him to tell me who he was and why he was with me--and figured it would soon become apparent for me, as it will be someone whom I'll run into that day. Well, it did become apparent, as a woman came in for her first ever tarot card reading and right behind her was this man. She nearly fell out of her chair when I described him, gave his name which he did finally give, and what it was he was trying to pass along for her. It was her ex husband, whom she divorced a good decade or so before his death. He apparently was still looking out for her though and we feel like he set up this whole day for her to come to me for a reading and the advice she needed for her life. She had only wandered into the store to get directions for another area of the city--as she was lost. Having had walked all around the area, she was also tired, and saw me finishing up a reading with another person, decided she'd go ahead and splurge on a reading, and get a bit of feeling back into her feet and legs while doing so! Little did she know how her first ever reading would go. It was a great reading, one I'll always remember, but I could walk right past this woman today and not remember her at all and probably she won't remember me either anymore.

So, you never really know. Some readings you will always keep in your memory due to the experience of it. Most you never remember, because you do so many of them. And, at least in my case anyway, I rarely if ever remember my customers unless they become repeat customers on a regular basis.

celticnoodle

I would love to meet you in person, too. I don't live so far from where you used to work; about 30 min. north of where you used to live, if I recall correctly. PM me if you come this way. I will throw you a party. (A very tiny party, but nonetheless...)

Yes, I recall you telling me where you live--and I use to work in the two nursing homes in that town - which you may know of. That was years ago though and before I began to read tarot or do psychic readings, really.

:laugh: as for 'throwing me a party', totally not necessary! But, it would be great fun to meet up--even if we just head up to Church Street and meet at a restaurant there to get to know each other. I so miss Church Street. We LOVED it there! I was just there a month ago, with friends for two parties. One party was actually held in your town at the famous "farm" there. You'll know what I refer to. I wish now I had thought of contacting you.

That is an awesome story. I'm totally self-taught, & I don't have any friends who have anything to do with tarot. (It could be due to the fact that I'm insanely introverted.)

I walk by that store a lot, but I'm not much of a consumer, so I don't go in (not since I was looking for you), because I don't like just going in a store and poking around and not buying anything. Maybe I should go in and get a reading... Can you recommend a reader? :)
yes, I will recommend two readers to you via PM. One works there and is EXCELLENT! The other is not workign there, but in VT and is also EXCELLENT!!! I go to both of them occasionally for readings myself and am never disappointed.

Seriously. I've gotten one reading once, as a celebration of opening a show, slightly before I published my deck. The woman was a total quack. She offered a half-deck reading for $20 & a full-deck reading for $40. For her reading she basically slapped the cards down one after another as fast as possible without looking at them while reciting some pretty pat stuff about love and faraway trips and other stuff she expected people might want to hear. At the end I asked her what her method was for reading (I'd never heard of anything like it, so I was curious.) She said that her mother had the gift for the craft and that she has the gift, too. I asked what would be her method for doing a one card reading (again, I was curious) and she looked at me like I had three heads. So I pulled a random card and asked what it meant to her. She basically said it didn't mean anything to her. I mean, she really acted in every way as if she knew nothing. Then she tried to sell me a follow-up meditation and some rituals to try to work on my issues. I wasn't really feeling as if I had any issues, and she hadn't brought any up, and I hadn't gotten a useful thing from her yet, so I didn't bite.
Thank goodness! If this was in the state where you live, I have an idea of who it 'might' have been. There are a few readers there, I don't exactly know by name, but I tried out and felt they were total frauds. There is also a psychic reader that I feel isn't as good as she puts herself out to be--and she is getting payed handsomely. I feel sorry for her customers--who do seem to be happy, (I know many of them as friends), and so I guess its up to them to decide if she is the real deal or not. If they prefer her and like her, and are okay paying her outrageous prices, then that's their business, not mine, anyway.

But you do bring up a good point about finding out what the laws are in a state before you start reading. Which is too late for me, because I did my 3-day tarot reading stint in NY (Syracuse), which was obviously totally illegal. Oops.
:laugh: well NY does have that rule, but I have since found out is just one of those very old laws on the books and very rarely if ever enforced. however, to be safe, you can, as a reader/diviner post and mention to your customer that you are not a licensed medical professional nor can you give professional legal advice--and that the reading you will give are purely of your own thoughts and ideas and left up to them as to how they wish to take them. (so also not implying that you are taking advantage of them).

I was really pretty nervous about reading for people who were readers, because I feel as if I'm just so different in terms of what I do. I mean, I think. I don't do spreads. I read cards slowly, until they're done telling me what they have to say. I'd tell people up front what kinds of questions I can and cannot answer, and that I basically just talk about the question in terms of the cards that come up. I don't tell futures, per se. So you can say I don't do tarot readings, if you like. But people were generally very happy with the way I communicated through the cards (well, there was this one woman who wanted me to say that she was going to have a happy-ever-after love life, but it honestly wasn't there; she had too many other issues) and most readings felt complete as they could be for the time given.

But of course I could be wrong about everything...
I rarely--if ever, do spreads myself. I am also an intuitive reader more then anything, though I do for the most part know the generally accepted 'meaning' for each tarot card that many readers use. So, if my intuition is not serving me well with the card(s), I can rely on what the 'accepted' meaning is--to help. I seem to do okay, some tell me I do fantastic and I'm sure there are some who think I stink at it. So be it. If it works for me then I'll continue on, and I seem to have more happy customers then not. And, besides, isn't it the same in every profession?

You know, Syracuse is not really that far from me here! :laugh: Always so close, barefoot fool, and yet not meant to meet up together--yet. It will happen, I am sure, when the time is right and I do look forward to meeting you one day! :)