Where to buy tarot decks in Singapore

yannie

Ok, this is probably going to get only one or two responses if any, but I figure it would help if any Singaporean stumbles upon this thread.

If any Singaporean reads this, where do you get your decks in Singapore? The only place I know is Kinokuniya at Taka...

The Happy Squirrel

I am not a Singaporean but from what I know I think Kinokuniya in Ngee Ann City (where Takashimaya is) is probably the only place for this. They are very good with ordering stuff in if they don't have what you are looking for. But if that is the case you might as well order them from Amazon. Tax is so low in Singapore and there isn't any import duties so you should be able to get them at a reasonable price even when shipping them in.

yannie

I am not a Singaporean but from what I know I think Kinokuniya in Ngee Ann City (where Takashimaya is) is probably the only place for this. They are very good with ordering stuff in if they don't have what you are looking for. But if that is the case you might as well order them from Amazon. Tax is so low in Singapore and there isn't any import duties so you should be able to get them at a reasonable price even when shipping them in.

Haha! Only a non-Singaporean would be a pedant about the name of where that Kino is located at. Ngee Ann City is such a mouthful! Every local just says Taka & we all know what we're talking about.

Well I hope someone comes along who'd know other places. If there are pagan stores (that don't sell tarot) & dusty 2nd-hand bookstores that sell tarot books (owned by an uncle who clearly knows tarot so tarot must've been around in Singapore for longer than Kino has), there is still hope...

The Happy Squirrel

Haha! Only a non-Singaporean would be a pedant about the name of where that Kino is located at. Ngee Ann City is such a mouthful! Every local just says Taka & we all know what we're talking about.

Well I hope someone comes along who'd know other places. If there are pagan stores (that don't sell tarot) & dusty 2nd-hand bookstores that sell tarot books, there is still hope...

:p

That is true :p I know exactly where you are talking about when you said Taka though :D

Singapore isn't a very spiritual city from what I can recall. One Singaporean friend told me the God of the people of Singapore is money :p I will be following this thread with interest because I am now curious if there is any such stores anywhere in Singapore! Depends on how you define "spiritual" I suppose...

Fu Lu Shou complex is filled with Chinese and Indian esoteric consultants which I heard are all rather good. But it probably isn't the place for more 'western' oriented system such as the ones you mentioned.

I know there are interesting book shops and second hand ones too at Bras Basah and Joo Chiat. At least the last time I looked which was years ago.
Good luck!

yannie

:p

That is true :p I know exactly where you are talking about when you said Taka though :D

Singapore isn't a very spiritual city from what I can recall. One Singaporean friend told me the God of the people of Singapore is money :p I will be following this thread with interest because I am now curious if there is any such stores anywhere in Singapore! Depends on how you define "spiritual" I suppose...

Fu Lu Shou complex is filled with Chinese and Indian esoteric consultants which I heard are all rather good. But it probably isn't the place for more 'western' oriented system such as the ones you mentioned.

I know there are interesting book shops and second hand ones too at Bras Basah and Joo Chiat. At least the last time I looked which was years ago.
Good luck!

I have been to Fu Lu Shou, and no they're mainly Buddhist and Taoist. I've been around the city centre. I just wonder if there are places in further corners of sg I'm unaware of. Those places can be very niche.

Singapore isn't a very spiritual city? Those who live through the smell of burnt offerings during the Hungry Ghost month every year all their lives will say that you are wrong. And those who have seen churches temples and mosques all over sg, some mere metres away from each other, will tell you that you are wrong. It's been that way for generations. With all due respect, let's not talk about Singapore any further. I do not wish to derail this thread any further correcting false statements about Singapore.

The Happy Squirrel

I have been to Fu Lu Shou, and no they're mainly Buddhist and Taoist. I've been around the city centre. I just wonder if there are places in further corners of sg I'm unaware of. Those places can be very niche.

Singapore isn't a very spiritual city? Those who live through the smell of burnt offerings during the Hungry Ghost month every year all their lives will say that you are wrong. And those who have seen churches temples and mosques all over sg, some mere metres away from each other, will tell you that you are wrong. It's been that way for generations. With all due respect, let's not talk about Singapore any further. I do not wish to derail this thread any further correcting false statements about Singapore.

As I have qualified in my post, I did say I quoted a friend, and I then said it all depends on how your define "spiritual".

Those sights and sounds and smell you described are indeed familiar to me too.

Best of luck!

yannie

As I have qualified in my post, I did say I quoted a friend, and I then said it all depends on how your define "spiritual".

Those sights and sounds and smell you described are indeed familiar to me too.

Best of luck!

Well, fact that a major bookstore sells tarot & other divination tools (& other major bookstores sell tarot & other divination books), with whole sections devoted to new age, and we have pagan shops shows that your memory of our spirituality is wrong and our spirituality is broad.

The Happy Squirrel

Deleted: Just getting too off topic.

The Happy Squirrel

Well, fact that a major bookstore sells tarot & other divination tools (& other major bookstores sell tarot & other divination books), with whole sections devoted to new age, and we have pagan shops shows that your memory of our spirituality is wrong and our spirituality is broad.

Thanks for your clarification. I was only there for a few years. Although I know many Singaporeans intimately, my views would be very limited indeed.

Good luck with your search.

chongjasmine

You can try the online bookstore: Opentrolley.com.sg.
Will deliver to your address within a week.

You can also try bookdepository.com and fishpond.com.sg

Both sell tarot cards and free delivery to Singapore.