How much would you pay for a Tarot teacher or course?

Barleywine

The trouble with a course is that you only get ONE person's view. I disagree very much with things I have seen on the websites of several respected teachers for whom I have great respect. Hell - I disagree with Rachel Pollack on quite a few things. :D

Rachel will be presenting at the Massachusetts Tarot Society meeting next Saturday. Shall I pass this on to her? }) For the record, I also disagree with some of her tarot positions (or at least I don't find them useful in my own practice). But then I've never met an acknowledged expert that I agreed with 100% on everything.

gregory

Rachel will be presenting at the Massachusetts Tarot Society meeting next Saturday. Shall I pass this on to her? }) For the record, I also disagree with some of her tarot positions (or at least I don't find them useful in my own practice). But then I've never met an acknowledged expert that I agreed with 100% on everything.
If you wish. }) We have never directly interacted, so she'd never have heard of me. (I do NOT like the artwork on her decks, though...)

celticnoodle

I was wondering how much would you pay for a Tarot teacher? You see sometimes prices equal to two Tarot books, for just 1 lesson. Some courses exist of 10 lessons. And I have even found a course from 2 years, for about 2.500 Euro / 2.800 USD. I was just wondering is het better to have several Tarot books, or just 1 teacher? In my opinion you learn more from several sources (Tarot books) than just 1 teacher. What do you think? And how much would you pay for a teacher?

YIKES! $2,800.00 US?! :bugeyed: I would NEVER pay that much! For me, it would depend--I did once take a class many many years ago with a friend because she wanted someone to go with her. I think we payed $25.00 to $50.00 and the class was 3 or 4 hours each night for 2 nights--with a professional tarot card reader. It also included some xerox copies of notes he thought would help us and he brought many various decks he owned as well as books for us to check out while there--plus free water to drink! Though this was back in the 1990s, I think.

I would never pay more then $50.00 for a class that would be at least 3 to 4 hours. But, as was already mentioned here in this thread, why pay for a class when you can get all the help and guidance you need right here--free of charge? Here, you get not only free help with whatever you question or need, but free glimpses into the newest decks (and the old faithful ones too) and book and readers. A.T. is like a living encyclopedia for learning the tarot AND getting time to practice here with others as well, every day--anytime YOU are ready for it, without even leaving your home.

silvereye

I joined the seasonal pass. I watched the promo videos and decided I was interested in most of the topics, so I had a "treat yourself" moment!

I do hope you enjoy them, have you joint any of their previous classes?

Emeraud

I do hope you enjoy them, have you joint any of their previous classes?

I have taken Ethony's (free) Spirit Guides and Tarot course, which was an emotional and powerful exercise for me! I was so grateful for that lesson, and have subscribed to her (free) YouTube channel, where I heard an informative interview with Benebell Wen. I also decided to purchase Wen's Holistic Tarot after hearing her interviewed there and on the Biddy Tarot podcast (yep, $0).

So to tie this back to the original question, I'm willing to spend $0-199 on classes at this time in my life LOL I respect and appreciate people's willingness to share their knowledge for free and at cost, and I can discern what is worth the exchange of my hard-earned money for someone's time and talent. So long as you reap a benefit from what someone has sown, then the price you're willing to pay is the right choice for you.

Carojulie

I was wondering how much would you pay for a Tarot teacher? You see sometimes prices equal to two Tarot books, for just 1 lesson. Some courses exist of 10 lessons. And I have even found a course from 2 years, for about 2.500 Euro / 2.800 USD. I was just wondering is het better to have several Tarot books, or just 1 teacher? In my opinion you learn more from several sources (Tarot books) than just 1 teacher. What do you think? And how much would you pay for a teacher?

I would like to attend if a class or tarot workshop was available near where I live, somewhere where you could meet other people interested in tarot, and where a more experimented tarot reader would coach the group around collective exercises similar to the ones found in Kim Huggens' or Mary Greer's book.
It would need to be an "in person" type of class, after work hours or during the weekend. It could be two or three sessions in a row.
For that, I would agree to pay up to 15 or 20 euros.
If a 2 hour class was 15 euros and there were 12 students, the teacher would earn 180 euros in two hours.

But it is not something that even exist around where I live. Before I answered this thread, I did a search in french on Google, and when you type "apprendre le tarot" ou "cours de tarot", in France, you mostly only get info about learning the playing card game of tarot, the rules of the game. There is a French Federation of Tarot (the game), and official tournaments. But for esoteric tarot, there is much less going on in France, and I did not find ANY class available anywhere, even less in my area.

I would not agree to an online class. There is already a whole lot of info you can get from internet and from books, so what I need right now is interaction with real people in real time, not through internet.

In the past I did enroll for a tarot class, the Alternative tarot course with Little Red Tarot, an internet course.
I mainly signed in because I like her work very much, she shares an awful lot of free info in her blog, and I wanted to support her. The course is now 35 euros, I think it was less at the time I signed in, maybe I dont remember right. The price seems reasonable and very honest to me, in any case.
I admit that I did not really work through the course. I did the first two exercises and got lazy. There was so much journaling to do.... again..... the method was mostly based on journaling, it got me discouradged. I am still planning to finish the course at some point, sooner rather than later, I am sure it is good, but the intense compulsory journaling repells me a tad.

So far I have learnt everything I know mainly from books, and from freely available contents on internet. I would say, 60% from books and 40% from internet.
The best books for learning, IMO, are the ones that give you exercises to do, that make you look at the cards differently, that make you work through spreads : the workbooks.
The traditional reference books that are about cards meaning, can be a useful addition, but I would not have learnt from them.

I would not say that the forum is enough in itself.
I think it is a wonderful place to grow your knowledge and to meet likeminded people, but I do not think it is a good place to start at all.
I have learnt a lot here, and it is a great place to practice, but it is because I came here with some background knowledge ; I do not think you could easily find your way if you arrive here as a complete beginner. But frequenting the forum is an excellent addition to learning from a book !

I think that it is normal to want to get paid for your work if you offer tarot classes, tarot courses, or if you write a tarot book.
But I would NEVER pay the kind of money you mention ! 2500 euros does not seem reasonable AT ALL, and I would very much be suspicious of such an offer.
Any offer where you have to agree right away to follow online classes over a long period of time, and the price is several hundreds of euros, seems like a scam to me.

I regularly receive in my mail box, offers for online tarot classes by a well known tarot reader (I visited her blog once and probably clicked on the wrong place without being aware of it...) and now I receive every week promotional emails for her classes, workshop or else.
There are numerous classes available (one for learning the meanings of all the cards, one for developping intuition, etc), it makes you feel like you need all of them, and each course is several hundreds of euros - up to 400 euros for one online course, from memory. The classes seem spread along the course of several weeks.
It always seems extraordinary expensive to me, plus the marketing strategy of this particuliar person is very aggressive : almost daily emails in your maibox, and prices are not immediately disclosed even if you scroll all the way down through all the "wonderful feedback by students", but you only discover the price if you sign in, the email is written in a way to make you think the course is free, and only then do you discover the price, and there are always "exceptional discounts" offered if you sign up before tonight - like a class for 399 E instead of 600 E, etc...) so I now completely lost any trust I had in this person and her services, and I genuinely wonder if anybody actually buys in her strategy and enrolls in her classes and pays that price.
This person seems successful though, so maybe some people do enroll after all.... For me, I just resent that kind of marketing technique and the courses seem grossly overpriced.

euripides

I'm extremely wary of online courses. It's very easy for people to scrape material off the internet and package up an online course with quiz software and you're really getting nothing for your money.

I'll pay for actual interaction with a human who has demonstrated their bona fides and knowledge. And in general, I'm keen on paying people for their efforts.

For in-person classes, I think around 10 dollars per group class, and $25-$30 for private classes. I was paying $24 for a half-hour music lesson. (Yes, a huge luxury.)

I think some one-on-one sessions can be useful when you're first starting out on any path, if you can find the right teacher. I agree that Aeclectic is a great place to learn. The diversity of voices is good in that it allows you to compare various approaches, but it can be a little confusing to a newbie. Some people have difficulty with the 'no one right way' notion.

jinnie

I'm not sure if I'd ever pay for a course, even as a complete newbie. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of free online resources or even books. I like learning things at my own pace. I feel like if I do run into any questions, being part of a community like this gives me plenty of potential people to answer my questions.

silvereye

actually what constitutes a tarot course? There's a study guide on Holistic Tarot's website, does that count as a course cause you can basically just follow the sequence and do the exercises?

Morwenna

I've learned all my Tarot from books and from workshops held as part of larger events. The metaphysical shop near me has assorted classes on Monday evenings for $15 each, and some of the classes are for Tarot, but I've never gone. (I do buy the bulk of my decks there these days, though. :)) And I'm still learning, mostly from the good folks here on AT.

Would I take an online course? Not at this stage of the game, and NEVER at prices like that!! :bugeyed: