Attachments

• 01b.jpg
    01b.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 141

Libra 58

I think this is a very powerful picture. She holds the sword right up in the lightning and don't care at all. This is a woman with power!

rylla

Muted color tone? The copy I have has colors that seem bright and saturated to me. It's the edition with the purple multilingual borders and the single large dragonfly on the back. Is that the same one you have, or do you have a different edition? At any rate, I'm happy with what I have. It strikes me as a bright and cheerful deck.

I have more monkey business. I looked for some more opinions on the significance of the baboon. Gerd Zeigler, in his Thoth companion book "Tarot: Mirror of the Soul," also identifies the baboon as the companion to Thoth and says that he "illustrates that wisdom can never be regulated in set ways. Any external manifestation, for example through words, includes in it some illusion." Snuffin, in "The Thoth Companion," mentions that the Egyptian Book of the Dead refers to this baboon as the "highly intelligent companion of Thoth who assists him in the Weighing of the Heart in the Hall of Judgement."

Wow, this is good. And deep. What Gerd Zeigler wrote makes lot of sense.

Great observation about the scorpion and elephant - these makes a lot of sense too. As I read this thread I realise I haven't noticed half of the elements included in this card (I don't mean the elephant. I noticed that :)).

This deck is one of my all time favorite (even if I don't understand half of it!) but I never realised how serious staff it is. By the time we get to the end we are all going to be experts in symbology :) :):) (my weakness - among others) and some esoteric meanings and even get a better understanding of the Thoth tarot.

As I'm a sucker for this deck I have both the old version and the new one. There is huge difference in color saturation between these two deck (as seen in the pictures posted by Luna's Crone). Both of the have their charm. As I like vivid colors I'd love a borderless edition of the second deck (with bigger images). :)

Luna's Crone

Muted color tone? The copy I have has colors that seem bright and saturated to me. It's the edition with the purple multilingual borders and the single large dragonfly on the back. Is that the same one you have, or do you have a different edition? At any rate, I'm happy with what I have. It strikes me as a bright and cheerful deck.

I have more monkey business. I looked for some more opinions on the significance of the baboon. Gerd Zeigler, in his Thoth companion book "Tarot: Mirror of the Soul," also identifies the baboon as the companion to Thoth and says that he "illustrates that wisdom can never be regulated in set ways. Any external manifestation, for example through words, includes in it some illusion." Snuffin, in "The Thoth Companion," mentions that the Egyptian Book of the Dead refers to this baboon as the "highly intelligent companion of Thoth who assists him in the Weighing of the Heart in the Hall of Judgement."

Incidentally, I also looked further into whether or not the baboon is an ape. Some sources define "ape" as a large tailless simian. By that definition, a baboon is not an ape, since baboons have tails. Other sources define "ape" as a large simian with a short tail or no tail. By that definition, a baboon is an ape. I've also read that "ape" may have originally referred specifically to baboons. So is a baboon an ape? Who knows. And who really cares. All that matters is that I was at work bored and looking to kill some time. Looking into this did a fine job of that :).

Alan

baboons are in the monkey family. Apes are consider a higher order of primates, gorillas, chimpanzies, gibbons, humans and the lesser known bonobos which are similar to chimpanzees, but are alot less agressive and quite intelligent. oops forgot the little redman of the jungle. orangutans.