Eight of Wands

spinningspider

The "Eight of Wands" is a card that any wild and wooly Sagittarius-Sun, Jupiter ruled, native would love. If there's one thing us Archers crave it's movement, and there's plenty of that and more in this card. 'course sometimes us Sag's don't know when enough is enough, and when this card comes up in a reading, especially reversed, it could be flashing the "WARNING - Overheated - Slow down!" sign.

Speaking of Jupiter, that's the very planet that Robin included in the Eight of Wands...as well as a waxing moon and Jupiter's own moon. One might not be able to visibly see Jupiter and the moons moving, but one can't miss the action of the shooting, eight wands, with fire coming off their backsides, as if they were rockets. The wands themselves are not all the same, and for good reason. Robin wanted to show, "...that there may very well be a range of things going on here." If one wand jumps out over another, it would be wise to look at it carefully and see what message it brings.

The Eight of Wands itself depicts an explosion of energy...decisive upwards and outwards movement. Perhaps the querent wondered about whether any active steps have been taken regarding whatever it is they are waiting for? Rest assured, depending on where this card comes up in a spread and the question asked, one can be pretty safe to surmise that things are moving and they're moving swiftly, possibly even towards a conclusion. Or maybe the querent was wondering if it's the time to act themselves? If the Eight of Wands is any indication, there's a good chance that the querent, too, will be propelled forward in all the excitement and rush. Too fast for your taste? The querent needs to think long and hard about whether they can handle the pace. Even the go-go-go Sag can burn out at light speed if not careful. And furthermore, where ARE those wands going to land? Makes me think of the Archer who shoots his arrow and knows not always where the target is.

Robin pointed out that the Eight of Wands could literally mean travel. Perhaps this could be unexpected travel or that there's a need to get where you're going and FAST. Also, traditionally the card could deal with receiving news. It's best to be on the alert if you've got an inkling that important information is heading your way. Possibly the truth to some matter is due to be unfolded.

Jamil

It seems to me there are at least three natural viewpoints in this card, depending on the reading.

From the point of view of space, the wands are a sudden an unexpected intrusion, though possibly only transient.

From the point of view of the Earth, below, this could be a welcome or unwelcome departure of something or, given that the wands resemble a flight of ICBMs, that something is about to suddenly arrive or otherwise deliver its payload.

And from the point of view of the wands, there is travel and headlong forward motion. Robin Wood explicitly compares the wands in this image to rockets. Rockets as we know them are limited by their fuel. They burn out quickly, if there isn't the added impetus of extra stages--so maybe this sudden expansion hasn't been prepared for, so things suddenly run out of fuel and are left to drift. Alternatively, if these wands are considered as ICBMs, then they are well on their way to completing their purpose, for good or ill, so we may be seeing someone whose purposes are coming to fruition.

Two other things possibly worth mentioning, relating to the fire nature of the card. Jupiter is one of the planets which radiates some of its own heat, and is sometimes described as a "failed star," another pointer to the idea of sudden expansion that comes to nothing. Also, Robin Wood refers to Jupiter's small moon in the image as Io, which is Jupiter's famously volcanic moon, its vulcanism driven by how close it is to Jupiter's mass, which may raise issues of how the sort of super-expansion show in the card may impact people and things in the surrounding environment.

vhrsn

8 of wands description

Hi to all,
What is the description of this card eight of wands in the robinwood tarot?
I'm curious to know, and others may realise that the people who don't have this deck aren't sure of the description of the card itself.
All the best,
Veronica

Jamil

Hi Veronica

I suspect that within the study groups there's a presumption that people will have access to the particular deck, and it must be said that Robin Wood's cards can sometimes be a bit rich with symbols and images for an easy description.

But Robin Wood's eight of wands is set in Earth orbit. Below is a cloudy crescent of blue Earth, from which rise eight ornately detailed wands, tipped with coloured crystals. They ride tails of flame, like rocket exhausts, into starry space--behind them, Earth's Moon, Jupiter and Jupiter's moon Io.

I'm not sure of this board's policy towards posting external links, so I won't: however, if you google Taroteca you'll find a website which provides card images for an astounding number of decks, including the Robin Wood.

Hoping that helps...

vhrsn

Thanks Jamal, I appreciate it.
That makes sense.
All the best,
Veronica

Ravenne

I had eight of wands come up in a reading and due to question/querent and intuition I got the feeling it can also stand for "feeling high" as in high on adrenaline, a natural "high", but also a high caused by drugs.
Now this was purely intuitive, don't think I've ever read anything like this on eight of wands before, so I would like to know how you think about this. Could this be another explanation of this card, depending of course on situation, querent and so on.

Ravenne

Moonson

i had this card pulled out for me once, i confess didn't thought much about it until now!
A few days ago for a little reading for a friend of mine, i got the same feeling.
In both times i got the feeling of "being on the moon" like being somehow lost... like when you don't know what to do.

going to read the posts and see if some more info makes sense...

Robin wanted to show, "...that there may very well be a range of things going on here."

Too much to handle at the same time...
hm.. yes, maybe...