Gilded -- First Impressions

sharpchick

I've just brought my new deck home, after weeks of agonizing about what deck would be my next purchase.

I love the art and the use of the astrological symbols. I also love the freedom I see in so many of the figures.

What I do not love is so many perfect bodies. . . no warts, bumps or rolls. Everyone looks like a perfectly molded twenty-something, except for the Hermit and the Magician, who always have their own sense of sex appeal to me. The deck must have sensed that annoyance, because my new deck reading promises me a wild ride. . . ;)

cosmic_bubble

Sadly I haven't been able to use this deck yet :( I love the vividness of it, but that's exactly what I'm finding a bit overwhelming at the moment (if that makes any sense). Even just holding the deck seems to set my mind racing at a million miles per hour - there's just too much 'energy' for me to handle.

I get the sense that I need to come back to this deck at a later time. *sigh*

sharpchick

Having had a chance to really look at the deck and companion book, I have to say the book is a real disappointment to me. This is definitely one deck that I will read intuitively, because to use Ms. Moore's interpretation of the cards would not do the deck justice.

The richness and symbolism of color, as well as other symbols appearing throughout the deck are all but ignored. I'm wondering if Ms. Moore had any conversation at all with the artist or was just told to interpret this one as a Rider Waite clone and let it go at that.

Myrrha

cosmic_bubble said:
Sadly I haven't been able to use this deck yet :( I love the vividness of it, but that's exactly what I'm finding a bit overwhelming at the moment (if that makes any sense). Even just holding the deck seems to set my mind racing at a million miles per hour - there's just too much 'energy' for me to handle.

I get the sense that I need to come back to this deck at a later time. *sigh*

That makes sense. The Tarot of Dreams (by the same artist) strikes me that way at the moment.

In the Gilded book there is an exercise where you pull three cards from the deck and write a story about them. If the energy of the deck is too overwhelming for reading with it maybe this exercise would be a different way to begin interacting with the deck, when you are ready to come back to it.

--Myrrha

nexyjo

sharpchick said:
Having had a chance to really look at the deck and companion book, I have to say the book is a real disappointment to me.

it's funny, while i often purchase deck/book sets, i rarely even read the companion books anymore. there are a few notable exceptions - the robin wood tarot is one of them, and interestingly enough, i got the book and deck separately. i don't even know if they can be purchased as a set. in this case though, i'd seen robin wood do a tarot seminar at a festival and had the opportunity to speak with her personally afterward. and the robin wood tarot is my "primary" deck".

but with most other decks in my collection, i simply prefer to read the cards as they are, relying on my own interpretations. i have found that in many cases, the books just get in the way of the natural flow between the card and my interpretation.

sharpchick

nexyjo said:
. . . but with most other decks in my collection, i simply prefer to read the cards as they are, relying on my own interpretations. i have found that in many cases, the books just get in the way of the natural flow between the card and my interpretation.

I know exactly what you mean. There are some companion books which have brought me lots of fresh perspective on the cards, but for the most part, I'm not crazy about them.

Disa

My first impression of this deck was that it was the most beautiful deck I had ever seen. When I got it, I knew next to nothing about tarot.(Don't know too much more than that now ;)) I did know that the other decks I had seen were not visually appealing and were not working for me. They were not holding my interest because I just didn't care what was going on in those decks. Each card I picked up in this deck held me captivated and I began to ask questions.

Then I got bogged down in reading too many tarot books and became frustrated. After someone mentioned that the Fool card resembled George Bush- I put the deck away for a while. (It was hard for me to get that idea out of my head, especially since I agree with it-but I couldn't bear the thought of his image being placed in my beloved deck for all eternity)

Thanks to you guys, I've picked up the deck again. I've got a deck of the radiant Rider-Waite to help in my comparisons, and I'm ready to go. Now I can just laugh at the fool (which I usually do anyway) and get on with it. I still think this is the most beautiful deck I have ever seen (haven't seen the Tod deck yet) and I'm ready to hear what it's telling me now.

So thanks to Ciro for creating it, and thanks to you guys for helping me unlock it's mysteries.

TC,

Disa

Kenny

The colours are virbrant but to me some of the pictures show a meaner and darker side. Small details that just put the picture into the realm of dark. It reminds me that for the light to show you need darkness in your life.

mehndigirl

I set out to find a vivid deck because I've been feeling a little "washed out" as far as tarot is concerned. I fell in love with the scans and ran out to buy it. This was my first deck purchase in a couple of years, and probably the first that I will actually use in a decade!

The court cards really appeal to me because there is so much detail in their expressions. You can really get a feel for their attitude. Like many people I've always lacked a little confidence in interpreting court cards, but I think I'm cured!

The swords are also less frightening to me in this deck. I've always had a hard time seeing anything but the bad in them until this deck. They seem more balanced.

I just felt an instant clarity when I handled this deck for the first time and I think that it will expand my tarot knowledge and confidence. I'm anxious to get to know it better! I hope this study group is still fairly active, but if not I'm sure I'll really enjoy reading what's already here.

StellarMyst

First impressions - what drew me to this deck

The first thing I saw was the image for the strength on the front of the box. As when I am book-shopping (I was that day, but not just for my first Tarot deck), it just seemed to jump off the shelf. There's really not much more to say about my buying the deck.

The first few readings were a little awkward but within a week, I was comfortable reading from it. I suppose this is due to the fact that I am usually not as drawn to this type of artwork. I am usually more old fashioned with what artwork captures my attention. In a way, this deck and its illustrations gave me a new angle for experiencing art.

Yours,

StellarMyst