Lilies Card

Chanah

I have no idea where this concept of the main meaning for the Lilies is an old man comes from. It isn't traditional. In rare cases the Lilies can be an older man, or benefactor, but I've seldom seen that. In most readings it speaks about family or sexuality.

Teheuti

One of the connections between a man (or father) and Lilies comes from it being the King of Spades (compare with House as the King of Hearts = householder). I'm not really sure why "old" has come to be associated with Lilies - perhaps because they are usually white (white hair) and because of their connection with death (Lilies are a funeralial flower)???

andybc

I often wonder where the old came from. It cannot be the suits, because Leaves/Green normally show people who are the same age or younger.

When I see the Lilies most of the time it's just the querent's general happiness and/or their family. Not an OAP.

andybc

One of the connections between a man (or father) and Lilies comes from it being the King of Spades (compare with House as the King of Hearts = householder). I'm not really sure why "old" has come to be associated with Lilies - perhaps because they are usually white (white hair) and because of their connection with death (Lilies are a funeralial flower)???
I'm not really sure why "old" has come to be associated with Lilies - perhaps because they are usually white (white hair) and because of their connection with death (Lilies are a funeralial flower)???

But they also appear in bridal bouquets ?

andybc

Yes, isn't it strange? Life and death; beginnings and endings.

It is and it's one of the things I like most about this method. But I have found that sometimes we can over complicate and miss the smaller or more simple naunce. Ironically, Lenormand has always helped me remember something one of my mentors said: it's often the most obvious.

Lilies is a good example of that. Yes, it can be sexual. But more often it's just happiness or family.

Teheuti

But more often it's just happiness or family.
Andy, for you, what is the difference between the happiness and pleasure found in Bouquet versus Lilies?

andybc

Andy, for you, what is the difference between the happiness and pleasure found in Bouquet versus Lilies?

Basically, with the Bouquet you’re having a good day, people love and care for you, whereas with the Lilies it’s what makes you really, really happy, fulfilment.

Teheuti

Basically, with the Bouquet you’re having a good day, people love and care for you, whereas with the Lilies it’s what makes you really, really happy, fulfilment.
Thanks. That makes sense. Lilies is more rooted and speaks of the rewards of a virtuous life. Cut flowers (Bouquet) bring temporary pleasure.