John Waterhouse Oracle Deck

The Happy Squirrel

This makes me think that we can cut off the borders of any decks and read them! This reminds me of scrying for some reason......

The Happy Squirrel

Anyone here can compare the plastic edition to the 'normal' edition? I think I could see some of those linen texture I love in card stock so much on the normal edition. I am a bit worried that the plastic might be too smooth in appearance and interferes with the joy of things.

LindaMechele

Just had this deck rose in my consciousness. I came across it some months ago but glazed over it as soon as I saw it was yet another deck based on other people's artwork.

But I had a change of perspective recently and began to revisit all decks which are "curated" rather that created.
I kind of know what you mean as similar thoughts popped up in my mind at first, but thoughts to the contrary came up as well. Ultimately, I'm okay with it, and here's why:

These paintings are in the public domain which of course means they belong to all of us, so anyone could do what the deck creators have done in order to have our own copy of these paintings. I didn't want to spend time tracking them all down (just giving that listing of a few above took a LOT of time, even if I would have been on a regular computer), downloading them (and paying for the bandwidth), resizing them (not as easy a prospect as it may seem, at least for not-so-techie me :joke:), and printing them out (which would incur costs for ink and paper as well), so I am willing to pay someone else to do all that for me. And that's how I look at it - that I'm paying the deck creator for their time and costs.

As far as "collaged" decks using public domain art, I'm okay with those as well for two reasons. One, they aren't changing the original - it's still there for me to enjoy. And two, they aren't holding them out as copies of the artists' work, nor claiming them as true to the artists' original intent. If they WERE, that would be a whole different ballgame.

I'm not fond of most of the artistic interpretations I see in collaged decks, so I just don't buy them. Some of them though are quite nice and I'd buy those.

This makes me think that we can cut off the borders of any decks and read them! This reminds me of scrying for some reason......
It is kind of like scrying, isn't it? Just with a "jump start" on seeing things by giving you images to start off with.

Anyone here can compare the plastic edition to the 'normal' edition? I think I could see some of those linen texture I love in card stock so much on the normal edition. I am a bit worried that the plastic might be too smooth in appearance and interferes with the joy of things.
I can't as the only Seven Stars decks I have are all the linen cardstock which I think is the "normal" cardstock, but somewhere I read a post by Seven about the waterproof plastic cards and I came away with quite a good understanding of what they are like. Let me see if I can find that post ...

Here it is: A new favorite cardstock - SUPERIOR
And one more with a little more info from a customer: Now offering WATERPROOF decks

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks for those links!

The Happy Squirrel

I took a chance and ordered the 'plastic' deck :)

LindaMechele

You have a regular linen cardstock deck from Seven to compare, don't you? Let me know what you think. I'm planning on buying a Deck of the Dead for myself for Christmas, along with the Winter Solstice lenormand I wasn't able to get last month as planned. I like the linen cardstock, but I'm a riffle shuffler and the ink is coming off the edges of the faces just a tad at the top and bottom of them. I think the Deck of the Dead may become the one I use the most, so plastic might be a good idea.

The Happy Squirrel

You have a regular linen cardstock deck from Seven to compare, don't you? Let me know what you think. I'm planning on buying a Deck of the Dead for myself for Christmas, along with the Winter Solstice lenormand I wasn't able to get last month as planned. I like the linen cardstock, but I'm a riffle shuffler and the ink is coming off the edges of the faces just a tad at the top and bottom of them. I think the Deck of the Dead may become the one I use the most, so plastic might be a good idea.

Will do! I have the Deck of the Dead. It is by far my absolute favourite deck from Seven. I adore they cardstock. One of my absolute favourite (I said that already!). So I am a bit nervous about how this compares to the plastic.

Ellis Deck's plastic is very comparable to its normal cardstock. It's paper cardstock is very well done so that it is matted but ruggedly textured / laminated, so they do have the feel of very matted and almost plastic anyway.

So if it is anywhere like Ellis' plastic, we are all going to be happy about it I think :)

Oh I side shuffle :) Never riffle :)

Madrigal

I've been working with this deck recently and am enjoying it. One thing that I would have liked is small, unobtrusive numbers on each card. That way as I'm working through assigning meanings to each card I can do it without having to describe the card in detail to link it up with the interpretation.

Le Fanu

Ooh I love it as it is! Just images, no order, truly random. Gorgeous deck.