lily doesn't seem to fit

MandMaud

This is a 3x3 on cutting my hair - I'm considering cutting it stupidly short, knowing it will be TOO short and make me feel silly for a week or so, but potentially really great if I get it right. I've had loads of trouble finding a good hairdresser and can't afford to go often enough to maintain a short style, unless I do it myself; and I can't maintain a long style for reasons of health, it's simply much more work!

The question was how I will feel about it, if I follow this plan (including others' reactions as that matters to me). I assigned the top row to past, middle to present, bottom to the future.

bear - coffin - anchor
lady - moon - roads
lily - ring - whip

I think I've managed to read the spread apart from the lily in the corner.

Moon, central, says this is about how I appear to the world - yep! :p

Top row (past): coffin means I've had enough of this, ready to be rid of it.
... Not 100% sure about the bear but with the anchor, I think it is the hairdresser I trust and would love to stick with, except that she's a 2-hour drive away. In the past I've been pleased there, but can't keep going back (coffin).
... Reading as pairs, bear + coffin = that dependable hairdresser is "over", and coffin + anchor = an end to being stuck with things as they are (my determination to put an end to it).

Middle row (present): assuming the lady is me, mirroring shows that I'm making a decision (roads). Moon centrally I have already said, it's all about how I look.
... As pairs: lady + moon = how I (lady) appear (moon), and moon + roads = how I appear is making me vacillate.

Bottom row (future): the ring says I'm stuck with the choice if I go for it (at least for the foreseeable future).
... Lily is a card I'm still making my mind up about, having seen the variation in meanings for it - old age, family or a relative, sex and/or sensuality, male, sort of "dignified"... I have hoped to see it in a few contexts so as to find out what MY meaning is for it. I don't see how it can be sexual here, but not family either, and not male!
... Mirroring with the whip, maybe that is something about this being a problem that comes round over and over. I'm sick of having to find a way of keeping my hair both easy-care and presentable and preferably a bit more attractive than simply not-embarrassing! Would this mean the dignity sense of lily is the one?
... And in pairs: lily + ring = a committed *something*; ring + whip = I won't like the thing I've committed to. This being the future, after it's too late I'll regret it.

I just can't make sense of the lily. In general I like the family meaning for it, but for this question I can only think of my sons' reactions if I cut my own hair ("Mum, don't you dare!" :laugh:).

Sharla

Just going on lilys, and i've only just noticed your thread and quickly scanned the cards....but yes i think lilies and especially being on the line with Bear, is that it will make you look older/more mature.... whether this is a good thing or not is personal to you.

Also as the bottom line ends on whip i think maybe you will beat yourself up about it (not literally lol) as you may not like it.

Sharla

Moon center card could be the end of a phase that you've been having your hair, you want something different now.

Sharla

Also don't take this the wrong way BUT i was just thinking as moons also about females and cycles etc, could it be representing you going through the "change" (menopause) the stage in a woman's life, when they get to a certain age.

Because your middle row you have lady + moon + roads so could be you going through the "change" (moon)in your life, and you are now wanting something different because of it (crossroads).

1Eleven

Lilies seem to be pointing to protecting/protection and/or simply happiness. I don't read the 3x3 this way so feel free to toss it :)

MandMaud

Thanks Sharla, your joining of lily with bear makes sense of both - and it may make me look older. (In the sense of being taken more seriously I always like that, never feel my hairstyle is "grown up", but if it makes my face look more lined that's different! lol)

I don't think wanting a change is about The Change, the menopause - for one thing that doesn't seem to be beginning yet (I expect it to be fairly late, going by how it happened for my mother) but for another thing, I've changed my hair quite a lot all my life. I had it ultra short about 12 years ago for nearly a year, using my ex's beard trimmer! and people kept asking me if I was a lesbian, which I didn't mind at all. They also treated me with a bit more respect which was interesting. Maybe that was the lily/bear thing you saw... Anyway if I had a beard trimmer handy I wouldn't hesitate, but of course that left with my ex, so all I've got is a ladyshave with a bikini area trimmer and that would make it much shorter which I'm less happy about.

You can probably tell I'm more about practicality than feminity ;) but on the other hand I don't want to look stupid, and I don't want to be SO practical that I look like a man (like some older friends I know) just because it's easier.

I like your reasoning about the menopause but it doesn't fit how I feel.

But your first moon idea was end of a phase - I take it you're relating phase to the moon, rather than end?

Sharla

Thanks Sharla, your joining of lily with bear makes sense of both - and it may make me look older. (In the sense of being taken more seriously I always like that, never feel my hairstyle is "grown up", but if it makes my face look more lined that's different! lol)

I don't think wanting a change is about The Change, the menopause - for one thing that doesn't seem to be beginning yet (I expect it to be fairly late, going by how it happened for my mother) but for another thing, I've changed my hair quite a lot all my life. I had it ultra short about 12 years ago for nearly a year, using my ex's beard trimmer! and people kept asking me if I was a lesbian, which I didn't mind at all. They also treated me with a bit more respect which was interesting. Maybe that was the lily/bear thing you saw... Anyway if I had a beard trimmer handy I wouldn't hesitate, but of course that left with my ex, so all I've got is a ladyshave with a bikini area trimmer and that would make it much shorter which I'm less happy about.
OMG MandMaud your hysterical, about the fact that you've only got a lady shave :laugh: which would make it much shorter :laugh:
You can probably tell I'm more about practicality than feminity ;) but on the other hand I don't want to look stupid, and I don't want to be SO practical that I look like a man (like some older friends I know) just because it's easier.

I like your reasoning about the menopause but it doesn't fit how I feel.

But your first moon idea was end of a phase - I take it you're relating phase to the moon, rather than end?

Yes as the moon has cycles...new moon, half moon etc, the i see it sometimes as the end of a cycle, and even then the start of a new cycle (the start of something new....out with the old in with the new) which is why i said this is maybe why you wanted a change.

Menopause just came to me which is why i thought id just put it out there, just added it to my notes too, as i think its a good meaning for Moon.

Sharla

Also if you notice you (lady) knights with anchor and whip, so id read this as , the cut will be something your stuck with now (anchor) but like i said before you'll end up regretting it (whip).

So all in all Mandmaud i think you should NOT cut your own hair. I understand what your saying about hairdressers expenses etc, i've even resorted to "highlighting my own hair" lol, due to expense each time. I just looked at a few vids on youtube in how to do it yourself, and it turned out ok, saved myself approx £50.

Cant you just meet yourself half way and maybe cut it short, but not to the extremes as you was going to do.

ana luisa

Sorry I'm late in the thread. Just got curious: is your hair wavy or curly ? Do you have a round face shape ? Is your more to the thick side ? Do you have white hairs already showing ? I ask those questions because to me, the spread seemed to comment on how the style would fit the TYPE of hair you have and your face shape. I agree with Sharla, it would look a bit harsh and "miliatry"but hey, just my 2 cents. It is really a compromise between comfort and beauty. And your wallet as well (so shocked with the price of a haircut !!!:bugeyed:)

MandMaud

OMG MandMaud your hysterical,
I do my best. <modest smile>

Menopause just came to me which is why i thought id just put it out there, just added it to my notes too, as i think its a good meaning for Moon.
I agree that it is, just not in this case. :)

Also if you notice you (lady) knights with anchor and whip, so id read this as , the cut will be something your stuck with now (anchor) but like i said before you'll end up regretting it (whip).

So all in all Mandmaud i think you should NOT cut your own hair.[/QUOTE]

I did look at the knighting and as far as I know that's about what's on the person's mind - so I took it to mean roughly what you say, with the angle of me worrying about regretting it, but thinking a lot about how I don't want to be stuck in this rut.

I agree this spread says I shouldn't go for it! :p

Sorry I'm late in the thread. Just got curious: is your hair wavy or curly ? Do you have a round face shape ? Is your more to the thick side ? Do you have white hairs already showing ? I ask those questions because to me, the spread seemed to comment on how the style would fit the TYPE of hair you have and your face shape. I agree with Sharla, it would look a bit harsh and "miliatry"but hey, just my 2 cents. It is really a compromise between comfort and beauty. And your wallet as well (so shocked with the price of a haircut !!!:bugeyed:)

You're not late! just too quick apologising. :) Are you seeing wavy, thick hair and round face in the moon card?

Actually my face is sort of medium, used to be oval but the cheekbones are more noticeable nowadays; my hair is so ultra fine that I hardly dare wash it, I know it will make me look bald when I'm old and it thins, but for now it makes me look bald if I wear it long because it has no body so when it hangs down it's very close to my head. It never holds any shape, even perms used to fall out so I gave up.

And I really, intensely dislike having a fringe. But it's so fine and lightweight that it stands up even at nearly 2 inches long, without using any gel or anything, so that gives it body and frames my face.

In fact when it was desperately short several people said it looked good, as well as thinking I was a lesbian. But the beard trimmer had a longer setting (for luxurious beards ;)) and the bikini area trimmer hasn't! I think I'll take the cards' hint. :D

What flatters me best of all is a very short bob (top of the ears length) but that takes such frequent cuts, and it's not only the money, it's fitting in the trips. I used to have someone come to the house but she stopped working and they're hard to find. I don't think I could do myself a bob and make it look respectable, it takes a bit of skill. Maybe I should buy a beard trimmer for my own use. :laugh::laugh: