Four Noble Truths spread

JSNYC

After this idea came to me, I did a search and was surprised that no one has posted (or created?) this spread yet. This spread is based on the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism. I have only been using this spread for a short while, but I really liked it almost immediately. I will present this concept only simply and briefly for those who are not familiar with Buddhism but may want to use this spread.

Layout
*4*
2*3
*1*

Positions
1. The issue, Dukkha.
2. The source, Samudaya.
3. Cessation, Nirodha.
4. Lesson, Magga.

1. The issue, Dukkha.
Life is suffering; this position represents the suffering (or issue).

2. The source, Samudaya.
The source of suffering is desire; this position represents the underlying desire at the source of the suffering (or issue).

3. Cessation, Nirodha.
Realizing the end of suffering is the cessation of desire; this position represents advice on how to address the source of the issue.

4. Lesson, Magga.
The path to Nirvana is the Eightfold path, or the middle path. The Eightfold path contains lessons on how to end suffering and attain Nirvana; this card represents the overall lesson being learned in this situation.

Positions 1 and 2 are related; they are the issue.
Positions 3 and 4 are related; they are the (middle) path.

Positions 1 and 4 are related; they are the overall issue and its solution.
Positions 2 and 3 are related; they are the struggle within the issue.

This site is a good, simple, well presented introduction: http://www.4truths.com

Additional links:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Noble_Truths
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Noble_Truths
http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/fourtruths.html
http://www.parami.org/buddhistanswers/four_noble_truths.htm

Amanda

This is a great spread :thumbsup: I'm not sure I fully understand the cards I pulled for myself with it, but I'm working on it. It's a powerful little 4-carder! I like those dynamic little ones. :D

Thanks JSNYC! :)

Eowyn

JSNYC, I will def. try this spread. Thanks for sharing!

SunChariot

Thanks!!! I almost never use spreads, but for some reason I felt drawn to this section today. This spread is perfect for me now. I am off to make an exception and put it to good use very soon.

Thanks, I appreciate this spread a lot right now.

:heart:

Babs

Aulruna

An excellent one - short and yet deep.
I have used it and expanded each position to three cards to add a kind of horizontal timeline - worked great, too.

Thanks for sharing!

moderndayruth

What an amazing spread! It was posted when i wasn't around, hence i unfortunately missed it in the beginning :(
Thank you for sharing, JSNYC!

Ivy Rhiannon

Oh wow! this is great spread JSNYC! I was reading more on it and I love the idea behind the spread :D Thanks for sharing, this is definitely one for the journal!

Marieve

Funny how this thread emerged just now. I am practicing buddhism and have been using couple of spreads of my design that are based on it's philosophy. I was weary that maybe they require too much explanation but this encouraged me to possibly share them.
I was observing how so many spreads, questions in Tarot are preoccupied with me, myself and I, and how little is asking: What can I do for others? for example. This could be because most of people only ask questions when they are not comfortable with their life for some reasons.

Ivy Rhiannon

Funny how this thread emerged just now. I am practicing buddhism and have been using couple of spreads of my design that are based on it's philosophy. I was weary that maybe they require too much explanation but this encouraged me to possibly share them.
I was observing how so many spreads, questions in Tarot are preoccupied with me, myself and I, and how little is asking: What can I do for others? for example. This could be because most of people only ask questions when they are not comfortable with their life for some reasons.

Lol that is fate :D Glad it inspired you Marieve! I look forward to seeing your spreads, and I agree most people are concerned with the self when using divination.

astronautica

I do love the idea of a spread that looks outwards to how we can use our current position to help others! Now that you've mentioned it, I can definitely observe in myself that I only tend to consult the cards to see how things will effect me, not how I can effect others. Have you used Robert Place's Buddha Tarot? I think the Buddhist messages behind the cards would reinforce both this spread and any others focusing outside the self :)