Hermit as Karmic Challenge

QueenOfTemperance

Hi all!
I did a reading for someone that was more spiritual in nature then what I normally do. I pulled the hermit in the position of "karmic challenge" in this life... this card position indicate an obstacle that must be overcome for the querent. I'm confused how to interpret this card in this context. My thought was that this person needs to learn to listen to their inner voice and trust their own inner guidance, but I'm not confident in that interpretation - I feel that relates more to the high priestess. Any thoughts??

Thanks so much!

rwcarter

Their challenge is to follow a solo path instead of joining in with others. Or their challenge may be to follow instead of lead.

Rodney

nisaba

I did a reading for someone that was more spiritual in nature then what I normally do. I pulled the hermit in the position of "karmic challenge" in this life... this card position indicate an obstacle that must be overcome for the querent. I'm confused how to interpret this card in this context. My thought was that this person needs to learn to listen to their inner voice and trust their own inner guidance, but I'm not confident in that interpretation - I feel that relates more to the high priestess. Any thoughts??

I know someone whose karmic job in life is to walk alone. their birth-family wasn't close and they've had nothing to do with them for decades. Their relationships all end after a few years. They even change occupations every few years. they don't work well in teams, being better working alone, and every decade or so, some kind of event, usually beyond their control, tends to happen that loses them the core of whatever friendship-group is their primary source of companionship.

In other words, they walk alone. They don't necessarily like living that way, but have no choice. That's how the universe needs them to live, for their spiritual purpose. If I had to pick a Tarot card to represent that, the Hermit would be pretty close, no?

Thirteen

Shining a light

The Hermit can also be about investigation, about shining a light on things, even if many would rather keep those things in the dark. This can include spiritual truths. Everyone might say "this is the way to enlightenment..." but the Hermit says, "Is it? Let's find out if that's really true." And he pokes his lantern into hidden places, seeing what others haven't seen, what they haven't bothered to investigate.

If he finds out it is not true, then he will say as much if asked. But the Hermit doesn't do this for the world, he does it for himself. Because he needs to know. He needs to know the truth even if it would be more comfortable to remain ignorant. And even if it would allow him to be part of the group, rather than a loner.

As Nisaba said, the Hermit may not want to be alone (or he might), but to do what he does, to ruthlessly find out what is true, then like a classic detective, he will be on his own. He is apart from society, walking his own path, and illuminating what no one else thinks to illuminate. That's quite a Karmic challenge, don't you think?

Michael Sternbach

Hi all!

Thanks so much!

Since the Hermit is an obstacle to overcome here, the card likely shows the querent to be overly withdrawn, shy and/or aloof. This is frequently an issue with spiritually advanced types. Accordingly, your querent must learn to care more, take action, connect to people, and so fourth. Does this make sense?

QueenOfTemperance

Thank you all for such thoughtful responses!

@Michael Sternbach - I feel your interpretation here really resonates. Since this is in the position of something that must be overcome, I think that reading the negative or challenging qualities of the card makes sense. I see this as something you are supposed to move beyond rather than embrace so your interpretation really struck me.

Since the Hermit is an obstacle to overcome here, the card likely shows the querent to be overly withdrawn, shy and/or aloof.

This perfectly describes the individual in question. He also finds it very difficult to trust others, so he has a hard time making strong connections with others on top of being very aloof and inconsistent.

@nisaba - Oh wow. The person you are referencing certainly signed up for a difficult path in this incarnation. I imagine that building strength and learning about the true self would be a major part of his/her mission here - I agree, I can see that being represented by the Hermit. I see where you are going with your interpretation, but I pulled the 5 of Wands for his soul's purpose/job in this incarnation. In the position in this spread, the karmic challenge is something that must be overcome in order to fulfill the soul's mission. I see this combo reinforcing that he must not retreat, but charge forward. Does that make sense?

@Thirteen - Interesting! I never thought of that but I can definitely see that aspect of the Hermit.

As Nisaba said, the Hermit may not want to be alone (or he might), but to do what he does, to ruthlessly find out what is true, then like a classic detective, he will be on his own. He is apart from society, walking his own path, and illuminating what no one else thinks to illuminate. That's quite a Karmic challenge, don't you think?

I wonder, given the 5 of Wands as his soul's purpose, if you see this as saying that he must find his own truth and defend it?

Michael Sternbach

Thank you all for such thoughtful responses!

@Michael Sternbach - I feel your interpretation here really resonates. Since this is in the position of something that must be overcome, I think that reading the negative or challenging qualities of the card makes sense. I see this as something you are supposed to move beyond rather than embrace so your interpretation really struck me.

This perfectly describes the individual in question. He also finds it very difficult to trust others, so he has a hard time making strong connections with others on top of being very aloof and inconsistent.

Glad that I could help. :)

Thirteen

A challenge doesn't always mean a sacrifice

Well, first, I don't think a Karmic challenge is the same as a sacrifice. Karma is about doing something to attain the next level on the ladder to enlightenment. To improve yourself. Sometimes that means giving up a bad habit (sacrifice), but it can also mean doing more. Kind of like the difference between going on a diet and working out. A sacrifice would be the diet, which might require you give up sweets (in this case, the person might have to sacrifice being a loner). On the other hand, this challenge could be like lifting heavier weights to gain more muscle--not a sacrifice, but certainly as difficult (in this case, being a loner with a purpose, not just because he's uncomfortable around other people).

You are the reader here, and you're the one looking at the whole spread. So you have to decide if this Challenge is about sacrifice (giving up what is comfortable) or going that extra mile. I only point out that the position doesn't seem, to me, as being so obviously about the negatives of the card. Doing "aloneness" right could be the challenge rather than surrendering aloneness.
I wonder, given the 5 of Wands as his soul's purpose, if you see this as saying that he must find his own truth and defend it?
The 5/Wands is about overcoming that feeling that you are not different or special. It's about doing something to stand out. To assert your individuality. And yes, the person who pokes a light into dark places and says, "See, that's what's really going on!" will stand out ;)

QueenOfTemperance

You are so wise Thirteen :love:

I see what you are saying about the challenge vs. sacrifice. This conversation has got me thinking about "being a loner with a purpose". I can see this karmic challenge as the person is presented (whether he or she wants it or not) with opportunities to be alone and reflect because they are meant to use that time to process their experiences - "doing aloneness right". This person often alienates himself from others because he gets frustrated and is very sensitive. Perhaps the lesson is about learning how to balance being alone because "it's easier" vs being alone because the alone-moments are meant to help the person uncover hidden truths - shine a light on the realities we ignore/miss/overlook about the human experience and drive him toward his soul's purpose.

The 5/Wands is about overcoming that feeling that you are not different or special. It's about doing something to stand out. To assert your individuality. And yes, the person who pokes a light into dark places and says, "See, that's what's really going on!" will stand out ;)

Very insightful! Thank you - you've got me thinking about this from a new perspective ;)

Michael Sternbach

In keeping with what you wrote in your last post, the challenge could be to overcome the negative aspects of the Hermit while continuing to cultivate his positive sides of introspection and a higher perspective. Every once in a while, the Hermit must come down from his mountain top to share with his fellow human beings the wisdom that he has learned in silence and solitude.