Italian suited 1616 playing card deck

garmonbozia

currently on Kickstarter. search for "1616 Silver".

History of the 1616 Italian Silver Guilted Deck by Michael Frömmer:

There are only 4 similar sets of Renaissance silver playing cards known in the world, and this is the only complete one. The engraved and gilt silver cards were made in Augsburg, Germany, by Michael Frömmer in 1616. They’re the Italian deck – ace through 10, plus knaves, knights and kings in suits of coins, cups, sticks and swords.

They weren’t made for actual playing though, but rather for a wealthy owner to display in an elaborate curio cabinet much like Pomeranian Kunstschrank, which was also made in 17th century Augsburg.

These cards, according to family tradition, were given to Josefa Oribe y Viana de Contucci, ancestor of the present owner, by Infanta Carlota Joaquina of Spain (1775-1830). Princess Carlota was daughter of King Carlos IV and, as wife of King João of Portugal, Princess of Portugal and Brazil. During Napoleonic struggles, Carlota was exiled to Brazil with the Portuguese Court. When Napoleon forced her father to abdicate in Spain, she became claimant to the throne of Spain and Spanish America. Following the patriotic revolution in Buenos Aires in 1810, she ordered Portuguese-Brazilian troops into Montevideo to protect the interests of the Spanish monarchy. Carlota’s emissary in South America and the director of her military efforts there was Felipe Contucci. Carlota presented these cards to Contucci’s wife, and they descended to the present owner as follows:

Doña Josefa de Oribe y Viana (b. 13 September 1789), wife of Felipe Contucci, emissary of Princess Carlota in South America

Agustina Contucci y Oribe, daughter of Doña Josefa and wife of General Manuel Ceferino de Oribe y Viana (1792-1857), President of Uruguay 1835-1838, then by direct descent to the present owner until its sale in 2010 at Christie’s of New York where the cards were sold for $554,500.

garmonbozia

forgot to add: 14 days left

DeToX

This thread reads like an Advertisement. And these are playing cards, not a tarot deck, but in tarot style - an Oracle deck at best. -> Oracle decks section if you hadn't mentioned k*ckstarter ;-)

DeToX

It is an interesting project. A short thread mentioning Kickstarter web site and then what to search for to find it - is 95% the same as providing a link to the page it is found on surely? As per the poster's other post. Esp. as in this case the description from that Kickstarter page was quoted directly below it - make it 99% the same as providing an actual link. Whilst I think the deck looks quite good, it is a regular playing card deck with a theme and so shouldn't really be in this forum IMO. I don't think this forum should be cluttered with posts about playing cards. I'm not the moderator, clearly, and I won't be posting anymore to argue with the moderators on here ;-) or to express any more of my opinions about such posts, but I'm extremely surprised. If I wanted to advertise a fundraising project in more than one forum, to gain maximum exposure, this is how I'd do it. I'm not saying that the OP is necessarily doing that but could potentially be.

Debra

Announcement - Playing Cards

We would like to open up this area of History & Iconography to include more discussions about Playing Cards and gaming with Regional decks. Although there are already some discussion on this topic, we feel that there is scope to expand this area of history further. The early decks were primarily used for gaming, and many meanings and methods (divination-wise) were derived from the early gaming rules. So this area will also welcome more about their history, gaming rules, the subtle differences among the playing cards, their regional patterns, etc. It would be very nice to see some imbedded images of historical playing cards including the transformation decks.

This will not be an area for reading with playing card decks as that is still being housed in the Oracles forum.

Any questions or suggestions, please PM Moonbow* and/or Bernice.

Thanks everyone.
Last edited by Bernice; 06-07-2010 at 21:54.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2370343&postcount=1

garmonbozia

I don't think this forum should be cluttered with posts about playing cards.

I don't think threads should be cluttered with thread-crapping.

As you can see from the link that Debra posted, this forum is the appropriate place to discuss historical decks of all kinds. (Thanks, Debra!)

I hope you are familiar with the fact that the tarot has existed solely as "playing cards" longer than it has as a cartomancy deck. Tarot dates back to the mid 1400s. Court de Gebelin and Etteilla didn't develop a divination method using tarot until the 1780s.

During that time period, this Italian deck was created. I find these old decks fascinating and am glad to see this one which I was unfamiliar with before now. Looking forward to getting one of these reproductions.