Any Kurt Cobain Fans here?

Ophiel

And back to astrology...

Minderwiz

Well looking at his natal chart he is overwhelmingly water - 83% and the remaining 17% is Earth. A highly receptive, intuitive and emotion driven person with some practicality (though below average) but who will find relationships, ideas and action and assertion do not come naturally.

There is some support for Air, with a few planets in the triplicity of relationships but Fire is definitely very low. He really will find it difficult to assert himself in any real way (unless pushed).

Good representation in the Houses of substance - this will amplify the practicality in the chart and he is therefore likely to cope reasonably well with the material world.

There's a strong mutable influence running through the Chart including the Ascendant (Virgo) and Midheaven (Gemini) both ruled by Mercury which also ruled the hour of his birth - so whilst he may not be able to do well in relationships and ideas he can strongly communicate in other ways - through his feelings and emotions and his practical creativity.

He has Pluto and Uranus both conjunct either side of his Ascendant and both retrograde. The Pluto/Ascendant link may indicate a difficult birth, it is also associated with the Grandmother and there is some evidence that it is associated with a need to manipulate and control others but from behind the scenes. It is not likely to be conducive to good relationships and it might also be linked to deviant behaviour in the sense of living a life which clearly breaks social taboos.

The Uranus/Ascendant conjunction may well indicate a feeling that 'I am unique' and a feeling that this is a natural state of affairs. Again it is an indicator of an independent and not particularly relationship oriented person.

He has the Moon in Cancer in the tenth House. Here the Moon is in its essential dignity - the Moon also symbolises the public, so there is likely to be a career (tenth House) that involves condsiderable contact with the Public or as a public figure. The Moon is also sextile his Part of Fortune so career and fortune are linked. However the Part of Fortune is in his eighth House - this might mean wealth coming from other people's money or success out of other people's property or his wife's property.

He has a Water grand trine - great sensitivity, emotions and feelings - he lives his life on how he feels at the moment. He also has a mutable T square- which suggest his main challenge is to be able to focus in a coherent manner on the issues that face him. The focus of the T square is the MC or career and social status position, therefore he needs to gain focus through also developing his opposite, family and home side.

The chart aspect pattern is what is called a splay or a splash. The person spreads themselves over a wide area and my find it difficult to succeed in any one - but it is a spread that brings a greater possibility of being noticed and being in the public eye.

He has Venus conjunct Saturn in his seventh house of marriage - he will really find it difficult to relate to others with this placement, his relationships are likely to be restricted or limited or he may have a fear of marriage and relationships. He needs people to prove to him that they love him, he will be very controlled in his giving of affection and will deny affection to others, possibly as a weapon to get them to do what he wants.

His assertiveness and sexual energy are devoted to material success, he has Mars in Scorpio (Again the sign of its rulership) in the second House. There will be a really intense desire to succeed on a material plane but not necessarily by the frontal agression of Mars in Aries. This is a more indirect form. Venus rules the second so material success will be geared to the Arts and in so far as he has to relate to others through joining with others. I suspect that he would not like this but would see it as something of a price to pay for security.

Oh I forgot - he is a Sun Sign Pisces with the Sun in the sixth - perhaps someone might care to fill in that detail but it seems very appropriate that someone with such a placement should be in a group called Nirvana. Did he suggest the name?

Ophiel

Minderwiz...

Minderwiz...can you do an indepth on Courtney, too?

Ms. Love is obviously a very troubled soul, and her violent, irrational behavior is often mistaken as 'punk.'

She is a highly intelligent and manipulative person.

Possibly the strongest aspect in her chart is the Mars (10th House) square Pluto (1st House.) Mars is just a tiny bit out of orb to be square Uranus (which is conjunct Pluto.) This aspectd has been linked to violence (Mars/Pluto.) Largely, there are only a few aspects with inner planets, Sun conj. Moon in Cancer, Venus conj. Mercury in Gemini, and a few sextiles (Sun/Moon sextile Jupiter.)

Based on the planetary distribution, she has five planets (Sun, Moon, Venus, Mars, Jupiter) stuffed into two houses, 10th and 11th. Clearly, Ms. Love loves being in the limelight, careerwise, and actually made a bid as a legit actress. Leo Rising no doubt has helped her get as far as she did. She was still largely unknown in her own right until AFTER Kurt died. In fact, the first time she spoke to the press after Kurt's death two weeks earlier, she plugged her soon-to-be-released album.

Her only two cardinal sign planets are Sun and Moon, a powerful pair.

How about these two as a couple? It has been established that Kurt had been talking about divorcing CL at the time of his death, and had discussed this with their attorney, Rosemary Carroll (who refuses to discuss this matter.) Carroll did inform CL of his intentions, probably hoping that she might be able to reconcile with Kurt. Carroll spoke briefly with private investigator Tom Grant about the divorce discussions before she decided not to talk any longer.

Minderwiz

Courtney Love

Like Kurt she is predominantly Water and Earth, though not to such an extreme extent. Her weakest element is Fire and there is no compensation within the House triplicities for this weakness. As he is also weak in the same area the partnership lacks any real drive and assertion, in a medical analogy both are lacking in adrenalin.

Her distribution of the modalities (Cardinal, Fixed, Mutable) is almost as equal as it can get. She does have a T Square in Fixed signs, this usually denotes issues of self worth, especially in the part of the chart where the Apex lies – in this case it lies virtually on the Ascendant, so the focus is on her own self worth as a person. She was born at Sunrise on the day of the Cancer New Moon and has Leo rising. Like Kurt she has the same planet as Ascendant Ruler and Hour Ruler – the Sun in her case, Mercury in his. Being born at the New Moon means that the Part of Fortune is also on the Ascendant and also forms part of the T Square. She really does need to sort her identity out – possibly through relationships or marriage – the place opposite her T Square apex. So we have two people with afflicted Ascendants and identity problems. She has Uranus in the first House suggesting an independent, non-conforming, possibly rebellious individual – if its unusual she will be attracted to it and do it for effect – again this comes up in Kurt’s chart.

The Sun has no dignity in Cancer but the Moon is in the sign of her rulership – this is the stronger planet of the two in her chart. There is something of a conflict between the caring protective nurturing person, both consciously and unconsciously and the persona she projects to the world as a proud, outgoing, theatrical image. The Sun Moon conjunction is on the cusp of the twelfth, suggesting a focus related to issues such as the urge to help and protect other is distress, to mother everyone but to succeed in this she needs to be able to tap into her spiritual storehouse. With the Sun in the twelfth (by conjunction) she may play a behind the scenes role with her creativity only coming out later in life. With the Moon in the twelfth there are many emotional cross currents, and consequent difficulties in individuising her emotions. She might need fairly long periods of solitude to do this. Indeed both Sun and Moon placements here suggest the need for an intensely private side to life and real difficulties in establishing who she is – this may give rise to struggles with others, friends and family, on the basis that anyone who doesn’t agree with her is against her. It can also lead to an intense sensitiviy and caring for underdogs, lost or ignored causes. However it does provide something of an indicator of extremism. New Moon types tend to be highly uni-directional, very subjective and very sensitive. They are also incredibly moody. As Kurt is also highly subjective (because of the huge Water dominance) if their subjective views are in agreement everything is wonderful – if they ever move out of agreement then there will be a cataclysm.

Venus and Mars are also conjunct on the cusp of the eleventh. This is the classic position of the romantic adventurer, with plenty of liaisons here- in the eleventh with friends and associates and she is likely to marry one, when she marries (for the first and perhaps subsequent times). Keeping her in a monogamous relationship for any real length of time will be difficult.

She has Saturn in Pisces in the Seventh House of relationships, Saturn has some dignity here but not much. Relationships will be taken very seriously, and she marry out of a sense of duty or for career reasons. Interestingly her Sun, Moon and Venus are all in Kurt’s tenth House of career, suggesting that the relationship may be more one for career and social status reasons than romantic love. He also has Saturn in the seventh conjunct his Venus so this seems to suit both of them.

She has Jupiter in her tenth House ruled by Taurus (and Venus). Careers in the Arts – especially singing (Taurus rules the throat) and career as a means of self expansion and growth are suggested.

In terms of ‘violence’ Yes, she does have Pluto square to Mars, which suggests a fight for survival, seeing things through to the bitter end, the use of sex to gain power or buried rage. She has Pluto conjunct to Uranus, and whilst this is technically out of orb to Mars, the shared aspects to Pluto bring the two together. Mars/Uranus links (square and oppositions) can be an indicator of sudden violence (though to draw this as a definite conclusion requires a lot more evidence). Both Pluto and Uranus are in opposition to Saturn. Saturn/Pluto suggests a controlled use of power, or a sabotaging of authority (when authority is seen as the bad guys) Saturn/Uranus suggest something of a rebel in control. The Saturn/Pluto/Mars run may suggest a willingness to use force or act forcefully against anyone trying to impose their views or indeed any other aspect of life. Mars/Saturn is often seen as a classic symptom of violence but I think its stretching the Mars/Saturn/Pluto link to suggest that she has a propensity to violence built into her chart, which is greater than for most people.

Neptune is quite important in her chart. Lying near the fourth House cusp, it has trines to Sun and Moon – which may intensify sensitivity and also add to the difficulty of distinguishing herself as an individual. Neptune/Sun contacts can suggest some form of self deception. Neptune is also in opposition to Jupiter in the tenth – big dreams, grandiose fantasies, the great escape. This could be through drugs (a highly Neptunian medium of escape and fantasy) – illusions about home building may clash with career or may be the refuge from the strains of career. Neptune is also square the Ascendant which adds to this urge for an ideal home (though most likely the ideal is a self deception).

Ophiel

CL -- Koch or Placidus? +T-Square

Thank you Minderwiz. I will go over your post carefully, with her chart in hand, when I get home from work tonight. However, I do have a quick question...regarding that T-Square. I see no T-Square here. You said fixed signs so I am guessing you are referring to her 19° Taurus Jupiter near the top of her chart, and her 1st/7th house cusps? If so, is that a legit T-Square? I don't know if this is an issue, but I probably should have mentioned that I use the Koch house system. I see when I recast this scope with Placidus, the planets redistribute to different houses a bit. It is significant shifts, splitting the Pluto/Uranus conjunction between 1/2 houses instead of both in the 1st, same thing with the Sun/Moon conjunct, in 11/12 houses instead of together in the 11th (Koch.) Also, the Placidus brings down the Moon and Merc into her 12th house.

What do you think?

Minderwiz

I've used the Neptune/Jupiter opposition as the base of the T square and the Ascendant (and or Part of Fortune) as the apex. Now there's a very strong point of view that points, as opposed to planets should not be used in aspect patterns. This would exclude not only the Ascendant and Part of Fortune, but also the MC/IC, The Moon's Nodes and arguably minor 'planets' such as Chiron and other asteroids.

The reasoning behind this point of view is that points can receive light but cannot transmit it. That is Neptune can aspect the Ascendant but the Ascendant cannot aspect Neptune. Thus the energy flow around a T Square (for example) is interrupted. In this case the Ascendant will receive from both Neptune and Jupiter but not pass on the light.

I usually keep to this rule with the exception of the Ascendant - which I do tend to involve in aspect patterns if I think there is relevance and it supports other features. There is not real justification for this - apart from intuition.

As for the House differences, The Ascendant/Descendant is the same under any House system and both Koch and Placidus (along with all other systems except Equal House) have the same MC/IC points. What differs is the way that the space between the four angles is divided - either on the base of equal time systems or equal space systems. This can of course, mean that planets change houses from one system to another - though in tests that I have done the effects are not very significanant. In this case the Moon and Sun are in the eleventh under Koch but move to either side of the twelfth House cusp under Placidus.

I also tend to look carefully at planets less than 5 degrees from a house cusp. Traditionally a planet that was in the third house but less than 5 degrees from the fourth House cusp would be treated as being a fourth House planet. In the case here, I moved the Sun into the twelfth from the eleventh because it was less than 1.5 degrees from the twelfth Cusp and in conjunction to the Moon in the twelfth (Placidus). I also treated Mars as an eleventh House planet because it was conjunct to the eleventh Cusp (only 11 minutes off) and conjunct to Venus in the eleventh. In both cases it made sense to do this given the conjunctions. I don't use the 5 degrees as an absolute rule though, its an area that warrants some consideration as the planet is likely to have some effect in both houses when it is that close. In the case of the Uranus/Pluto conjunction I didn't use the five degree principle.

This is because Uranus Pluto conjunction is one that I would not pay particular heed to - such conjunctions are generational in effect rather than specific to an individual. As Uranus is close to the second House cusp I certainly could (and arguably to be consistent 'should') have treated it as a second House planet. In which case I'd have argued that she was likely to achieve material security from unusual, independent or unconventional ways, rather than treating these as being characteristics of the way in which she projected herself. I don't know all that much about her but I would feel that the latter is probably a more accurate description than the former.

House systems tend to be a matter of choice and I would always encourage people to use a system that 'fits' with their approach to chart analysis. No system is 'right' or 'wrong' - Astrology is an Art, not an exact science. I doubt someone using Koch would come to a radically different interpretation - there may be differences in nuances though.

Minderwiz

Just one additional point - both the readings for Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love are incomplete. I've focussed on the points that struck me most - but to do a full reading would require a tremendous amount of space.

If there are any specific areas that anyone would like clarification on then just post them and I'll try to address them. In particular I noted that for Kurt Cobain his Mars/Sun trine was exact. This is unusual and certainly an area that I would normally want to follow up.

Trish

hehe ... yeah I like Kurt. ;)

Courtney is a Cancer too, isn't she? I think her b-day is the day before mine (July 9). Gotta check though.

Lots of interesting info here too!

Ophiel

What I am really interested in here is the dynamics of their relationship, and as I stated in my initial post in this thread, I am curious about the possibilities that Kurt did not kill himself. I know that can't be verified in a chart.

lunalafey

Has anyone done a chart comparison for this couple? Like is his Sun square to her's.....I see how MWiz has compared charts....and maybe I'm missing something.
This is hardly something I'm good at but I have read a few examples of this. In one of the examples, jelousy, deception, and murder are backed by planet to planet positions.
From what I've seen....she's a pretty out there person....someone like that can be scary....the facts are too strange to dismiss any non-participation in his death.
When I looked at his chart I saw that he had the ability for grand success(grand trine and the few squares)
I take Pluto/ACS. conj. to express that his life(and death)to be a mystery.