the TemperElemental Fey

lunalafey

While viewing Maan's introductory Fey spread, I got something slightly different from her cards. In other readings I get confussed. For example, the King of Swords comes up and I see a Capricorn or Taurus....but swords are Air...or sometimes fire. I am comfotable reading both ways. In decks that vary these associations also have reasons to support these assoiations. But the elements in the Fey trip me up. So I went through the suits superficially and sumed up the elemental assoiations...with supporting evidence. It was an amazing find. I think the key here (look at the fool) is to remember that the Fey are not of this world. So I ask, look through the Fey suits...what is the predominate element to EACH card...added up, what is the predominte element to each suit?
As I said, I went through these superficially, (discovered at bedtime, unwillingly turned the light out) I plan on diving much deeper into the elements in each card...but the start off my findings(which may change) go something like this.
Each suit carries all the elements, a few cards have all four. Suits predominatly seem to share two elements....but which two exactly?...or is it just two?
Wands...Earth/Air
Pent....Water/Fire...some air
Swords..Fire/Earth...with a bunch of air
Cups....Water/Air...some earth & tad of fire.
Now that I have viewed this I wonder if those readings I was having trouble with come more clear. There is also the other aspects, that do not follow the traditional as well...the partnership between...physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual...of course I have to look into these as well....but I'll save that for another thread...
How does everyone else see the elemental, tempermental Fey?

Ravenswing

elementary, my dear...

lunalafey--

I've noticed the same thing. And also some 'backwardness' too. Take the Tower-- the top doesn't blow off. Instead, you've lost your foundation. Same thing-- opposite view.

The five of pents. You're inside in this one... and probably DON'T want to look out at the looming figure on the other side of the window.

I can't come up with any others at the moment.... oh wait, the Hermit. Instead of lighting the path, he seems to be lost... Escher-like constructs will do that to you.

I'll have to give the cards a good sorting later. I'll be back with my findings and we can compare notes.

My experience with any Fey-based deck-- tarot or oracle-- is that the fey on the card is the 'final' determining factor. These cards tend to be living beings rather than elemental concepts....

fly well
chat with the fey
Raven

Ravenswing

still working...

yeah, I know...

I'm taking a **long** time to reply here. Sorry 'bout that, but a whole load of things from all over have converged on me...

Great busy time, but I have to parcle it out more carefully.

General impression-- the Fey don't limit themselves to singular elemental 'forces'. I haven't found ONE card that I would consider to be influenced by one and only one element...

I take this to mean that the Fey are a more generally balanced reflection of life.

I'm also finding that a contemplative communication with the Fey on a card is easier and more rewarding than the same with other decks. The Fey seem a chatty bunch....

I promise I'll get to some specifics, but for now I'm just enjoying communing...

fly well
chit chat
Raven

lunalafey

Ravenswing said:

General impression-- the Fey don't limit themselves to singular elemental 'forces'. I haven't found ONE card that I would consider to be influenced by one and only one element...

I take this to mean that the Fey are a more generally balanced reflection of life.

INDEED!!!
through much card flipping and sorting.....
noting each element portrayed in each card and to wht degree....the Fey overall are very earthly. But why not? consider that the Earth as a whole involves water, air and fire.....
I singled the elements out per suit....
cups=water
wands=earth
pentacles=fire
swords=air
(still working on the elemental partner)
still not satisfied...
and still I cannot 'fit' the king of swords into 'air'...
I took to the boarders...blue for cups....red for swords....purple for pentacles and green for wands.
I can see green/earth...satisfied with that suit.
blue/cups....works
red/swords...like the blood it draws? AIR?...hmm...how about the color of the metal when it is being forged....the ace remindes me of this....well the blade is levetating....many things levetate in this suit.....the boat in the 6 swords. But how does the red fit? is this the second nature of the suit? Back to the ace...this fey remindes me of Pele...the volcano goddess, who is unable to do anything halfway. In her fury she consumes and destroys, as well as create(new land)
purple for pentacles....fey have no desire for coins, so I can't associate purple to royalty(the one's with money).....purple and fire?....purple is the color of spirit and healing....hmm

Cerulean

Hello there, it seems your color associations are very active. I looked at your ideas for the Fey element and I wondered...

Originally posted:
Wands...Earth/Air
Pent....Water/Fire...some air
Swords..Fire/Earth...with a bunch of air
Cups....Water/Air...some earth & tad of fire.

When I looked at the Wands, it was the green energy that fuels the fire of growth---like the vigor of the bamboo in the lost forests of old Asia between war and conquest overtook the vast regions.

When I looked at Pentacles, the glowing disks were the metal of earthy things, where some cultures would tell of discoveries of gold and adventure. Many interactions with mankind...

When I looked at the Swords, I switched my associations around to say 'life-blood' and the pulsating energy of activity of a brave suite of Fey. I actually thought this deck has more Asian art associations. I could see you looking at the raised swords and red reflections and pulling fire and looking at the Fey melting into stone or dissolving into dust as Earth.

I agree with you about Cups.

I wish you the best of Fey stories and hope you enjoy any additional notes about color ideas.

Kyrielle

I love the reversal of the Tower collapse. I think it gives a more accurate picture of what is often actually happening. When the card comes up for me, it often does point to a dissolving of focus or loss of foundations. The surprise element is still evident -- look at the expression on the Fey's face!

As far as the Five of Pentacles, you could either place yourself inside happily by the fire, or outside with the kind of hulking blob-thing, which looks kind of melancholy to me. Needs a hug. It's not a cute thing, but it certainly doesn't look as if it means harm. If I were in the house, I'd invite it in for cocoa!

-- Kyrielle