Questions about Tree of Life spreads

Bridget

I recently wanted to try a Tree of Life spread, but I've gotten the impression from reading descriptions that it's a heavyweight spread, intended for more serious questions. I opted for rachelcat's Practical Tree of Life Spread, which I think is a great spread. But the fact that rachelcat developed it because other ToL spreads are a bit abstract made me wonder what people are usually looking for from a ToL spread. Hence my questions:

Do you use ToL spreads?

If so, what kinds of questions do you use it for?

Does the Kabbalistic significance of the Tree influence your reading?

What would make you choose this spread over another of similar size, like the Celtic Cross?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Zechariah13

Hi there!

Tree of Life spreads are among my favorite, and they were the first spread that actually connected me to my cards.

Now, i dont ever ask the Tree of Life Questions. No. when I do a ToL reading, i simply desire to asses the energies at work in my Querent at THAT TIME. I was never fond of trying to predict in general, and i tend to have more success at "Snapshot" readings, regardless of spread, but yeah.

I prefer to keep my ToL readings as simple as i can without changing it too much. I dont use Rachelcat's spread (im sure its lovely, i just dont use it) because for me it changes the whole point of the Tree. But i dont worry about all the things attached to it with the Kabballah faith. I dont pay attention to the Paths between the Sephiroth (mainly that each path is supposedly governed by one of the Major's, and that Major has the power to move someone between the two sephiroths) unless there is some really weird connection visible between them. I try to stick to the basic meaning of the card combined with the overall meaning of the place

Why not the Cross? I dont really like "situtation spreads". they dont leave room for the Universe to tell you what you NEED to know.

ANd thats my two cents!

Kosjitov

I don't use the Tree of Life spread NOR the Celtic cross, though I intend to tackle them both in the near future.

That being said, my studies with the Tree of Life would probably be focused on myself or other AT'ers so that I could get a decent sample group and decide whether or not it works well for me.

I have little understanding of the ToL at the moment. However, when I choose to start working with it, I will likely delve into the Kabbalistic nuances behind it, as well as study the paths. Sure, I could do readings without further study and I could also cook without spices- it's still just not quite the same quality. I think that understanding the paths would help highlight nuances of a spread much like pips cards do.

As far as choosing CC or ToL? Purely familiarity, the CC is plainer (there's just positions, no pathways, no esoteric knowledge needed), and to a point "popular". Here, more people have an understanding of the CC and its positions, and how cards could interact which helps with feedback in the Xchange forum. I don't really see much in the way of ToL offers on the forum and even if there were, I wouldn't be anticipating the same level of feedback/refinement. Granted, this is just in my humble opinion and geared towards my own interests- getting practice reading! :)

Zechariah13

I think i have, like 2 ToL readings on the forum. I could provide links to them if you want to see them.

euripides

I haven't done any as yet, but it's serendipitous that you should link that thread today as the tree of life has been uppermost in my thoughts for a few days. In fact I bought a trinket of a tree on the weekend.

I think this spread would be interesting done with a pip deck with good elemental qualities - I might try it with my old Celtic.

I like this idea of 'snapshot'. This spread has a nice geometry and balance to it that appeals a lot, and I feel it will be possible to see various directions and patterns or connections through the spread, it offers more possibilities than the Celtic Cross.

Bridget

Now, i dont ever ask the Tree of Life Questions. No. when I do a ToL reading, i simply desire to asses the energies at work in my Querent at THAT TIME. I was never fond of trying to predict in general, and i tend to have more success at "Snapshot" readings, regardless of spread, but yeah.
I like the idea of the reading as a snapshot; it would give me a more concrete way to think about readings I do that don't have specific questions. I'd love to see your ToL readings, Zechariah13, if you don't mind posting the links.

Zechariah13

OK, here are the ones i have.

This one is just a basic Tree. Nothing really special. Some of my positions could use a little bit better definitions, but i was rather new to it then
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=162202

This one is one of my favorites, mainly because i have a soft spot for the needlessly complicated ;) It is a combined Oracle and Tarot Tree, effectively turning the 10 card spread to a 20 card spread, but the idea is still the same
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=163845

hope they help

Bridget

Thanks for the links Zechariah13! I started looking at your spreads this weekend; I'll probably comment on them in those threads.