Book of Law Study Group 1.2

Grigori

This line seems to me to be a fairly simple continuation of the previous line. Now that we've established that Nuit (the infinite) manifests via Hadit (the point), line 2 tells us that these two are the "company of heaven". I'm guessing that refers to them as the two primary principles, that everything else comes from. It reads to me like an exclamation point after the last line really.

The use of the word company is interesting. "Company" usually would make me think of a group, rather than a pair. For a pair I would have thought "companions" would be more appropriate. I assume the plural is more appropraite given the nature of Nuit, all things. Perhaps the "company" does not refer to both Nuit and Hadit, but rather to all that is within Nuit?

thorhammer

I think you've got it with that last bit, similia. My immediate perception is that the "unveiling" is of the whole host of heaven, all at once, and yet one at a time, each to its own small perspective. So Had(it) "unveils" the stars and the host of entities and aspects that is Nuit.

Or not? :confused:

\m/ Kat

I feel so out of my depth here . . .

Aeon418

This is jumping the gun a little bit, but the second verse takes on another meaning when it is interpreted in terms of verse 3. Every man and every woman is a star. In a sense the company of heaven is Stars. This verse may also be saying that the "company", or as you pointed out, the group, is humanity. The unveiling that is spoken of, is the revealing of mankinds true natures. The Star-like godhead within each individual man and woman.

Aeon418

The phrase, "unveiling of the company", brings to mind a theatre company. As if the curtain is being raised and actors are being introduced.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players

Grigori

thorhammer said:
My immediate perception is that the "unveiling" is of the whole host of heaven, all at once, and yet one at a time, each to its own small perspective. So Had(it) "unveils" the stars and the host of entities and aspects that is Nuit.

You don't sounds out of your depth at all. This gave me the image of a christmas tree actually, where in sequence each of its lights is popping on. Like a progressive unveiling of each individual point, which in turn reveals the whole.

That would fit also with what Aeon has alluded to in the next line. Like each of us lighting up our little bit of god-head, revealing that we are all part of the whole.

I quite like the idea of being a christmas light :laugh:

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
The phrase, "unveiling of the company", brings to mind a theatre company. As if the curtain is being raised and actors are being introduced.

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players

Raising the curtains, or perhaps each taking of their masks.... Like after one of those enourmous puppet shows, the costumes come off and you see the people underneath.

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
I feel so out of my depth here . . .
I agree with similia. Don't worry about feeling out of your depth. If the text seems to be saying something to you on an intuitive level, try to express it. You can increase your own understanding in the process and maybe give others food for thought and add to their own unique understanding of the text.

Aeon418

similia said:
Raising the curtains, or perhaps each taking of their masks.... Like after one of those enourmous puppet shows, the costumes come off and you see the people underneath.
Yes, I like that. :)

It ties in with what A.C. says about this "unveiling" as an initiation. The revealing of the true self to the individual.

Always Wondering

This line always brings angels to my mind. Stars and angels. The word company reminds me of host. A host of angels. This might be my childhood Methodist upbringing though.

AW