Book of Law Study Group 1.7

cardlady22

behold- (verb) notice, witness, inspect

minister- (noun) delegate, ambassador, proxy, agent
(verb) aid, relieve, heal

Abrac

Hoor-paar-kraat is the Egyptian Har-pa-khered (Horus the Child or Horus the Younger). He was also known as Heru-sa-Aset (Son of Isis).

In Greco-Roman times he was known as Harpocrates. It was (mistakenly) believed he was a "god of silence" because he was often depicted sucking his finger; a gesture that was taken to mean "silence."

To the ancient Egyptians, Har-pa-khered was a symbol of "good" as opposed to Set who was "evil."

cardlady22

sucking his finger . . .
What are some reasons that would be done?

tasting something
getting ready to test the direction of the wind
trying to soothe/clean a wound

Abrac

cardlady22 said:
sucking his finger . . .
What are some reasons that would be done?

tasting something
getting ready to test the direction of the wind
trying to soothe/clean a wound
I've been researching this a little and there seems to be some evidence that what has been interpreted as finger-sucking may not have been that at all.

Budge writes: "In the pyramid texts the deceased is identified with Heru-p-khart, and a reference is made to the fact that the god is always represented with a finger in his mouth"- Book of the Dead. It says his finger is in his mouth but it doesn't say anything about sucking it.

In another place he mentions Horus in connection with the "Opening of the Mouth" ceremony: "The next part of the ceremony, i.e., 'the opening of the mouth and eyes,' is performed by the Sem priest, who addresses the deceased: "I have come to embrace thee, I am thy son Horus, I have pressed thy mouth; I am thy son, I love thee"- Book of the Dead.

Here is an image of Har-pa-khered with his finger near his mouth but not in it. This gesture may have been a reference to Har-pa-khered as "The Opener of the Mouth."

The Greek Harpocrates seems to have evolved as an entirely different deity.

cardlady22

That definitely puts a different spin on it. It reminds me of phrases like "then his tongue was loosened" or mentions of a coal touching the lips/tongue in purification. The prophet as an ambassador passing on the words of his god.

Or, the scene in The Princess Bride where Westley is "mostly dead" and Miracle Max puts enough air in his body for him to answer.

Abrac

Here are a few things Crowley says about this verse in his Old and New Commentaries:

"Aiwass is then, as this verse 7 states, the "minister" of this Hoor-paar-Kraat, that is of the Saviour of the World in the larger sense, and of mine own "Silent Self" in the lesser."

Apparently he sees Hoor-paar-kraat as the "Savior of the World."

"This Book of the Law is the Voice of his Mother (Nuit), His Father (Hadit) , and Himself. But on His appearing, He assumes the active form twin to Harpocrates, that of Ra-Hoor-Khuit."

*parentheses mine

"So also our own Silent Self, helpless and witless, hidden within us, will spring forth, if we have craft to loose him to the Light, spring lustily forward with his cry of Battle, the Word of our True Wills."

Hoor-paar-kraat represents the "true will." There must be something wrong with, or "false" about the will I already have.

Aeon418

Behold is the meaning of the Hebrew letter Heh, the letter of Nuit, the letter of Revelation.
Then I saw in the right hand of the one seated on the throne a scroll written on the inside and on the back, sealed with seven seals; and I saw a mighty angel proclaiming with a loud voice, ‘Who is worthy to open the scroll and break its seals?’ And no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll or to look into it. And I began to weep bitterly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to look into it. Then one of the elders said to me, ‘Do not weep. See, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals.’

Revelation 5: 1-5
This is verse 7 - Netzach, which is the Occult or Hidden Intelligence. Hence the need for revelation. An additional title of Netzach is, "The Gate of the Mysteries". In a sense verses 1 to 7 are merely setting the stage. They are the Seven Seals on the Scroll. Verse 8 is where the book proper begins.

Aiwass.
In Hebrew, OYVZ.
(Ayin, Yod, Vau, Zain)
70 + 10 + 6 + 7 = 93

In Greek, AIFASS.
(Alpha, Iota, Digamma, Alpha, Sigma, Sigma)
1 + 10 + 6 + 1 + 200 + 200 = 418

If you're not familiar with the Golden Dawn method of constructing telesmatic images from Hebrew names, this picture is pretty close, if not spot on. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/Baphomet.png

Crowley claimed that Aiwass was the name of his own HGA. Although this realisation did not dawn upon him until several years after the dictation of Liber Legis. The different spellings of the name identify Aiwass with both Thelema/Agape-93, and the Great Work-418.

In the context of Thelema Hoor-paar-kraat is, like Ra-Hoor-Khuit, symbolic of the Holy Guardian Angel in general. But he represents the HGA unmanifested. He is the silent self within, waiting to be born. (See the Book of Thoth - The Fool)

The other name of this dual god/HGA symbol is Heru-Ra-Ha. (HRV RA HA - 418) This name represents both aspects together. Silence and Strength.

Hoor-paar-kraat - HGA unmanifested, force withdrawn, silent, passive, the unborn Secret Self. Related Tarot symbol - The Fool.

Ra-Hoor-Khuit - HGA manifested, force projected, expression, active, the realised Self. Related Tarot symbol - The Devil.*

*Useful to know when you see references like Aiwass-Satan in Crowley's writings. Knee-jerk reactions to that kind of stuff are the primary basis behind accusations of Devil worship within Thelema. :rolleyes:
Satan - ShTN (Shin, Teth, Nun) Fire, Light, Sexual Force.

Yygdrasilian

Alchemical Yoga?

Aeon418 said:
Hoor-paar-kraat - HGA unmanifested, force withdrawn, silent, passive, the unborn Secret Self. Related Tarot symbol - The Fool.

Ra-Hoor-Khuit - HGA manifested, force projected, expression, active, the realised Self. Related Tarot symbol - The Devil.*

*Useful to know when you see references like Aiwass-Satan in Crowley's writings. Knee-jerk reactions to that kind of stuff are the primary basis behind accusations of Devil worship within Thelema. :rolleyes:
Satan - ShTN (Shin, Teth, Nun) Fire, Light, Sexual Force.

I think I understand your Tarot attributions; yet they seem more like stages within a larger operation that must be undertaken to manifest one's Holy Guardian Angel. For instance - one needs Zayin to open Ayin, but only after YHVH becomes YHShVH. And what of the Princes?

Aeon418

From Crowley's commentary.
In his absolute innocence and ignorance he is "The Fool"; he is the 'Saviour', being the Son who shall trample on the crocodiles and tigers, and avenge his father Osiris. Thus we see him as the "Great Fool" of Celtic legend, the "Pure Fool" of Act I of "Parsifal", and, generally speaking, the insane person whose words have always been taken for oracles.

But to be 'Saviour' he must be born and grow to manhood; thus Parsifal acquires the Sacred Lance, emblem of virility. He usually wears the 'Coat of many colours' like Joseph the 'dreamer'; so he is also now the Green Man of spring festivals. But his 'folly' is now not innocence but inspiration of wine; he drinks from the Graal, offered to him by the Priestess.

So we see him fully armed as Bacchus Diphues, male and female in one, bearing the Thyrsus-rod, and a cluster of grapes or a wineskin, while a tiger leaps up by his side. This form is suggested in the Taro card, where 'The fool' is shown with a long wand and carrying a sack; his coat is motley. Tigers and Crocodiles follow him, thus linking this image with that of Harpocrates.

Almost identical symbols are those of the secret God of the Templars, the bi-sexual Baphomet, and of Zeus Arrhenothelus, equally bi-sexual, the Father-Mother of All in One Person. (He is shown in this full form in the Tarot Trump XV, "the Devil".)