Ace of Cups

spinningspider

Even if a person knew hardly anything about Tarot, it would be hard to miss the message(s) inherent in the heart-emblazoned "Ace of Cups." The swimming mermaids decorating the silver and gold cup complement the flowing liquid, literally spilling over into the bigger body of water with love and joy and EMOTION. It's as if the floodgates have opened up and anything that was held quietly within has been released. And while there's nothing violent about this card, it does radiate with an emotional force that can't be mistaken. If such a card came up in a reading, I would be more than inclined stand up and take full notice on who or what the Ace of Cups is pointing out...almost like a neon sign flashing, "LOOK! Something wonderful or perhaps even unique is, will be or has been possibly happening! Surely you can't miss it! Surely you see it!!"

I really like how Robin does not clutter up the main Ace symbols with human hands or other objects supporting or holding up those symbols. As Robin mentioned in her book on why she ommitted hands and the like, "...it felt hokey to me. If the symbol is strong enough to stand alone, and I think they all are, then that's how I would draw them." For me, this decision emphasizes the bold, clear beauty of the symbol itself, even to the point of helping me think outside of the box as I read. When I see the Ace of Cups, of course depending on the querent, question asked, spread and where it falls in the spread, I'd be quick to point out how positive it's appearance often is. Even if reversed, some of the lovely qualities may still be present, if somewhat blocked. After all, when you turn Robin's cup over, the base forms a smaller cup...but a cup, nonetheless. But maybe the reversed card signals that the querent or someone asked about has been closed off somehow; afraid to share inner feelings; afraid of being hurt.

The Ace of Cups, being another of the cards respresenting beginnings, might be emphasizing the beginning of a relationship, the beginning of a friendship, the beginning of doing something you (or whoever is asked about) love, the beginning of a new opportunity or job, the beginning of finally getting in tune with yourself, the beginning of leaving negativity at the doorstop and getting on with life to the fullest, etc... Whatever the card is trying to get across, the Ace of Cups is generally welcome in the upright position...tho' I'm sure there are times when readers just might find exceptions (ie. too much emotion, overwhelming and smothering love, unwanted or uncalled-for devotion, etc.)

dadsnook2000

Hands, etc.

You wrote: "I really like how Robin does not clutter up the main Ace symbols with human hands or other objects supporting or holding up those symbols. As Robin mentioned in her book on why she ommitted hands and the like, "...it felt hokey to me. If the symbol is strong enough to stand alone, and I think they all are, then that's how I would draw them."

While I also like and use the Robin Wood Tarot, it was my second deck, we do need to recognize an implied comment about the Waite-Smith Tarot. In the WS deck, the Cup is supported by a hand coming out of a cloud. That, as a symbol is important in terms of suggesting that "God plays a hand" in bestowing what the Ace and Cup offers. This deck was heavily influenced by the various Christian mystical schools of thought. As such, the hand and cloud are strong symbols in their own right. That is not to say that Robin Woods cup is not well done or is insufficient ---- it's just a different deck in many small ways. Dave

spinningspider

Dave, THANK YOU for commenting on what often feels like my own self-study of the Robin Wood Tarot. So few have recently posted to this study, tho' I know there are Robin Wood lovers out there! Please join us, won't you?

Point well-explained and well-taken regarding the hand and cloud symbolism. I so appreciate your insight. But, I agree, the Robin Wood deck is a different deck that the WS.