"Aging" Decks... Anti-Bling, if you will

Laura Borealis

I often find myself wishing some of my decks had a more worn, well-used appearance. A patina of age, something that evokes the fortune-teller's dim, incense-scented tent at a traveling carnival, or a pack of cards handed down within a family of soothsayers...

I know many tarot enthusiasts want to keep their cards in as nice of a condition as possible. And I do too, for certain decks. I'd die if I spilled something on my 1st edition Tarot of Prague, for instance. And I have other decks that I'd rather keep pristine. But when I take out my RWS, the desire for a bit of scuff and stain returns.

Cards are made with such protective laminate these days, I have never been able to get much of a patina on cards just by shuffling and handling them excessively -- and I've tried! So I want to try to artificially age a deck... sort of an anti-bling. :D

I found some ideas on how here. I think I'll try the steel wool (or a very fine grade sandpaper) and brown shoe polish diluted with clear polish, at least for starters. I just need to decide which deck to experiment on, in case it goes terribly wrong.

So, I know some of you "break in" your cards... do you ever age them? If so, what methods do you use? Thoughts on sandpaper vs. steel wool (aka wire wool)? What about staining agents? The link I found suggested graphite as well as shoe polish...

Laura Borealis

I should have done a search before posting! Usually I do... I put it down to too much blood in my caffeine system.

Thank you!

MagsStardustBlack

We'll if you want a well worn aged appearance in a deck of cards give them to a two year old child to play with!!!!!

My two year old daughter would love to ruin them up for you LOL.

I wouldn't use shoe polish as it has a tackyness to it, sort of sticky, your cards may stick together. Also with sand paper you dont want to ruff it up too much else you will not have smooth cards also.

How about good old fashioned methods of dying the cards in tea, it will make them look old. Or other natural juices like berries for some other cards in the deck will give a faint blood red stain. Also you could use citrus juices to gently remove the top layer with the acidic quality they have.

OOOoo OOOooo ALSO TRIED AND TESTED (on a wooden table) - nail polish remover will burn through anything, used in small amounts it will lift anything. But if a card is laminated it may turn slightly tacky.

xxxMags

Laura Borealis

If I had a nearby toddler... alas (or hurray? :D ) I do not!

I worry about soaking the cards. I'd hate to have them warp. I noticed in the thread that SakuraFae linked, some people mentioned this. But your point is taken on the stickiness of shoe polish... maybe the graphite is a better option, or even simple garden dirt.

I must investigate further... and decide which deck to sacrifice for experiments. Muahahaha!

ETA more threads.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=72802
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=99047

And I think I'll get a cheap poker deck to experiment on.

MagsStardustBlack

laura_borealis said:
If I had a nearby toddler... alas (or hurray? :D ) I do not!

I worry about soaking the cards. I'd hate to have them warp. I noticed in the thread that SakuraFae linked, some people mentioned this. But your point is taken on the stickiness of shoe polish... maybe the graphite is a better option, or even simple garden dirt.

I must investigate further... and decide which deck to sacrifice for experiments. Muahahaha!

You dont have to soak them with tea/coffee stain, i wouldn't use coffee by the way, that can get sticky too. A cold damp tea bag may do the trick.

What about using a candle to gently burn, ever so gently from a distance just so the heat changes the colour of the card?

I don't know what graphite is - sorry?

xxxMags.

MagsStardustBlack

You sicko LOL!!! All your poor wee decks will be shivering!

Laura Borealis

Graphite is the stuff in pencils. That suggestion was in the first link I posted.
Step Three: Then I take a pencil with soft graphite--probably #1 lead --and, tilting the pencil until it's almost sideways, I darken a piece of paper with it. I think you can buy powdered graphite, but I prefer to sit on my patio, beverage in hand, and do it that way (One must bleed for their art!). After I have colored the paper with the pencil, I take each card and rub both sides across the paper. This furthers the worn look--a slightly greyish hue.
A wet tea bag sounds like a good idea, thank you! Much less traumatic-sounding than actually dunking a deck in tea (though some people did that with good results).

MagsStardustBlack

laura_borealis said:
Graphite is the stuff in pencils. That suggestion was in the first link I posted.

A wet tea bag sounds like a good idea, thank you! Much less traumatic-sounding than actually dunking a deck in tea (though some people did that with good results).

Oh yeh that would def' work, the graphite!!! DO THAT ONE!!

I'm really trying to think of more ideas for you!

SakuraFae

laura_borealis said:
I should have done a search before posting! Usually I do... I put it down to too much blood in my caffeine system.

Thank you!

no worries, sometimes it's knowing just the right keyword to search to get any hits anyway. :)