"Are you a witch?"

Debra

He sounds like a strange person. Might be naive, curious, socially inept, mentally unbalanced...who can say. It sounds like you did your best to accommodate him for which you'll surely get karma points.

I<3Tarot

I can understand your frustration! When I first brought out the tarot cards my dad had given me, my friends got confused and asked if my family was gypsy! But yes, I live in the midwest and I guess I use an unusual tarot deck, so people just assume some funny things sometimes. I wouldn't let it get to you :)

DaughterOfDanu

Actually, there's a funny thing about that. He asked if he could look at my cards, and I got them out of my purse, still wrapped in their bandanna, and tried to hand them to him. He asked me to unfold the bandanna. I said, "What, you can't unfold the bandanna?", unwrapped the cards and tried to hand them to him again, but he wouldn't take them. The Queen of Cups happened to be showing, and he asked me what the card meant. I told him that would depend on what the question was and where it fell in the spread. Later, he did ask me for a reading, and when I wanted to shuffle the cards myself because he told me he wasn't good at shuffling, he insisted that he had to shuffle them. So, he went from not wanting to touch them at all to insisting on shuffling them even though I would have preferred to do it myself (I've started asking sitters if they're good at shuffling before the reading so I don't end up with either the cards not being thoroughly mixed or getting mangled by an inept shuffler).

That could be because some people hold a lot of preconceived notions about tarot and tarot related rituals such as shuffling. I've heard before about readers not wanting their cards to be touched UNLESS it was during a reading and then the client may only shuffle the cards. He may have heard something along the lines of this too.

He sounds like he's a bit too wrapped up in superstition and the tarot as a mystical occult item. I guess in his mind occult items=witchcraft.

Empath111

He sounds like a strange person. Might be naive, curious, socially inept, mentally unbalanced...who can say. It sounds like you did your best to accommodate him for which you'll surely get karma points.

I was *just* thinking the same thing when I saw this post. Mental illness came to mind:(

Asbestos Mango

Debra and Empath111- well, we are in a day treatment program together, so actually we're both mentally ill to varying degrees- everyone there is.

In addition to that, though, he strikes me as not being very intelligent. He's rather immature, and has kind of a strange pattern to his speech- he speaks slowly, and has this weird, kind of flat tone of voice. And, like I said earlier, he seems to want to have his answers handed to him rather than take responsibility for his own actions and making his own decisions. And the way he asked the questions- "Is the girl I like going to marry someone else?" and "Am I going to get married when I'm thirty-five?", when he doesn't even have a girlfriend... it just seemed really... off.

He also seems to have a punishment-based morality. I won't go into specifics, because of confidentiality issues- things he's talked about in the groups that have to stay in the group- but he sees certain things he's done that are wrong as being wrong because "you get in trouble if you do that", and not, because it's harmful to someone else.

Ivy Rhiannon

I have a sign on my desk at work... "the witch is in"...

and I would have replied "yes, I am... but some people spell it with a B" ;)

hahahahahahaha! xD Omg rhinemaiden that's hilarious :p

As for stereotypes they are always a pain in the arse. I've been called a devil worshiper, a pagan, a witch, a heathen, a freak, ect. Sometimes psychic, gifted, intuitive or really cool too :p Although the positive isn't a frequent as the negative unfortunately.

I usually carry around flyers talking about what the tarot is and some common misconceptions. So that way when the are you a witch comment comes up you can say, "No I'm a Tarot Reader, and if you'd like to know what that means..." *hand them the flyer and smile* "you can find your answer here."

Starshower

Brilliant idea, Ivy Rhiannon! I might borrow that ...