Intensive Deck Study - Newly Started

vee

Hrm, I am considering doing this with my Bohemian Gothic. I have been feeling the urge to "buckle down" with a deck for awhile now. I'll have to think on it for awhile. I would definitely have to open myself up to being to able to use other decks because a) sometimes I need something less dark and b)sometimes I just need something else.

Ivy Rhiannon

Funny how things work-

Since I will be working with the Maat tarot, I decided to keep track of the moon movements on my calendar and see that the moon will be passing into Aquarius- my sign, mid-week. So it seems that is when things will get started. Nothing like "divine" inspiration :)

Also- they have a Maat app for the iPhone (bought)- how cool is that??!!!

Very Cool! And thanks Mino :D I'm so looking forward to this group! Will post my first day findings very soon. Welcome everyone else to the group!

Ivy Rhiannon

Animals Divine

Title/Number: 0 The Fool - Coyote

Picture: http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd443/TrinityQueen/Coyote-AnimalsDivine.jpg

First Impression: My first impression of Coyote is a familiar one. I immediately went "Aww". I have a great affinity for furry four legged creatures. I liked this card a lot, because I love furries, and he closely resembles a wolf. He is beginning an adventure and I love adventures!

Description: Here we see a coyote at the opening of a wood he is about to explore. There is a necklace of beads and feathers around his neck swooshing with his quick head movements. He is alert. 6 ravens fly overhead in the dawn lit morning. Roots are thick and out of the ground a tangle of small obstacles.

Feminine/Masculine/Neutral: Masculine

Colors: Pale Yellow, Peach, Pink, Lavendar, Cocoa browns, Grey, White, & Black.

Senses: I can feel a chill in the air and smell the earth. The barren branches remind me of fall and the sky looks like dawn is coming. I can hear the cawing of the ravens and the wind blowing through the naked trees.

Symbols: The Raven, The Coyote, the barren trees, roots upraised, dawn, necklace.

Story [Intuitive]: Coyote stands before the opening to the forest. He rests his paws, although he is anxious to keep moving. In the middle of the night he birthed a great idea, and he followed it like a dreamer in the world of dreams. It was a great adventure to be explored! Oh how Coyote loved a good story! Silently he thought, They will tell of my grand travels many years! This will be the story the children will beg the elders to tell at night! The ravens awakening in the morning take to the sky and Coyote jerks his head from his thoughts up at the sky. "Beware! Beware!" The ravens cry out, warning the Coyote of danger. "Bah! I am the great and powerful Coyote, I fear no danger!" And without heading the warning of the silly birds he trotted off into the forest, his head filled with grandeur.

My Experience as the Fool: Although no one experience stands out in my mind I have often rushed into things without heed of warning or thought. I am a very impatient person sometimes when I am excited or want something.

Astrological Reference: Couldn't find an astrological reference at first. Later thought of the "Dog Star" Sirius.

*Some interesting facts about Sirius: it is recorded in the earliest astronomical records. Egyptians based their calendar on the rising of Sirius. Greeks observed that the appearance of Sirius heralded the hot and dry summer, and feared that it caused plants to wilt, men to weaken, and women to become aroused. People suffering its effects were said to be "star-struck". The season following the star's appearance came to be known as the Dog Days of summer. The Romans celebrated the setting of Sirius around April 25, by sacrificing a dog, along with incense, wine, and a sheep, to the goddess Robigo. The Sphinx is facing Sirius. It was classically depicted as Orion's dog. The Greeks thought that Sirius's emanations could affect dogs adversely, making them behave abnormally during the "dog days." In Chinese astronomy the star is known as the star of the "celestial wolf."* [source Wikipedia.]

Cultural Reference: Native American traditions describe the Coyote as a Trickster, who had stole fire from the gods as a gift for mankind. Many tribes have different stories for coyote ranging from a fool to a wise being. There is also a story of Coyote bringing death to the world, after discussing with Wolf that it would help from overpopulation. As a result his son was the first to die, and in his grieving he knew he had been wrong.

Elemental Reference: Earth is very present in this card, with the trees and roots. We have the dawn sky and the ravens overhead too.

Numerology Reference: 0 - Limitless, Unknowable, No-thing, Boundless, Purity, Possibility, Source, Cosmic Egg.

Keywords: Beginnings, Infinite Possibilities, the Child, Journey, Foolishness

Possible Meanings: The start of a new adventure, following a dream, not heading warnings, rushing in, the dawn of a new day.

Quote: "He dares to be a fool, and that is the first step in the direction of wisdom." ~ James Gibbons Huneker

Minotauro

oh wow , I loved that D: would you mind copied and tweaked the points you used for my own deck study?

Emily

I'm waiting for my Animal Wise tarot to be delivered but this is the one I'll be using for the IDS. I don't usually put time limits on my studies but I think I might with this one. I used my Liber T for the first IDS and also the One Deck Wonder and 4 years later, I still only really use this deck. But it is my study of the Liber T that pushed me into looking at decks that are non-traditional and out of my comfort zone.

So with the Animal Wise, I think 3 months. I'll post dailes and also focus more on the animal aspects of the cards, maybe even more than the tarot correspondences. I still don't really see 'tarot deck' when I look at these cards. I can't wait to see how they look and feel in the hand. And I'm really eager to start studying them to see if they live up to my expectations. :)

Soaring Eagle

I'm waiting for my Animal Wise tarot to be delivered but this is the one I'll be using for the IDS. I don't usually put time limits on my studies but I think I might with this one. I used my Liber T for the first IDS and also the One Deck Wonder and 4 years later, I still only really use this deck. But it is my study of the Liber T that pushed me into looking at decks that are non-traditional and out of my comfort zone.

So with the Animal Wise, I think 3 months. I'll post dailes and also focus more on the animal aspects of the cards, maybe even more than the tarot correspondences. I still don't really see 'tarot deck' when I look at these cards. I can't wait to see how they look and feel in the hand. And I'm really eager to start studying them to see if they live up to my expectations. :)

Great to have you to join us. I've added you to the participant list.

Soaring Eagle

Title/Number: 0 The Fool - Coyote

Picture: http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd443/TrinityQueen/Coyote-AnimalsDivine.jpg

First Impression: My first impression of Coyote is a familiar one. I immediately went "Aww". I have a great affinity for furry four legged creatures.

Story [Intuitive]: Coyote stands before the opening to the forest. He rests his paws, although he is anxious to keep moving. In the middle of the night he birthed a great idea, and he followed it like a dreamer in the world of dreams. It was a great adventure to be explored! Oh how Coyote loved a good story! Silently he thought, They will tell of my grand travels many years! This will be the story the children will beg the elders to tell at night! The ravens awakening in the morning take to the sky and Coyote jerks his head from his thoughts up at the sky. "Beware! Beware!" The ravens cry out, warning the Coyote of danger. "Bah! I am the great and powerful Coyote, I fear no danger!" And without heading the warning of the silly birds he trotted off into the forest, his head filled with grandeur.

Astrological Reference: Couldn't find an astrological reference at first. Later thought of the "Dog Star" Sirius.

*Some interesting facts about Sirius: it is recorded in the earliest astronomical records. Egyptians based their calendar on the rising of Sirius. Greeks observed that the appearance of Sirius heralded the hot and dry summer, and feared that it caused plants to wilt, men to weaken, and women to become aroused. People suffering its effects were said to be "star-struck". The season following the star's appearance came to be known as the Dog Days of summer. The Romans celebrated the setting of Sirius around April 25, by sacrificing a dog, along with incense, wine, and a sheep, to the goddess Robigo. The Sphinx is facing Sirius. It was classically depicted as Orion's dog. The Greeks thought that Sirius's emanations could affect dogs adversely, making them behave abnormally during the "dog days." In Chinese astronomy the star is known as the star of the "celestial wolf."* [source Wikipedia.]

Keywords: Beginnings, Infinite Possibilities, the Child, Journey, Foolishness

Possible Meanings: The start of a new adventure, following a dream, not heading warnings, rushing in, the dawn of a new day.

Ivy Rhiannon, you are making a great start. I especially liked the intuitive story. Keep up the good work.

Ivy Rhiannon

Animals Divine

Title/Number: 1 The Magician - Cerridwen

Picture: http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd443/TrinityQueen/1-TheMagician-Cerridwen.jpg

First Impression: My first impression of Cerridwen was that this card was really beautiful. I liked it a lot because I love Goddess Mythology and the animals pictured here.

Description: Here we see Cerridwen, with a glowing aura, standing by a water source surrounded with curious animals. She holds by her heart a wand and her other hand touches her stomach by a medicine pouch at her side. The tree behind her buds with the first signs of spring.

Feminine/Masculine/Neutral: Feminine

Colors: Mint Green, Lavender, Orange, Cafe Brown, White, Light Blue, Black.

Senses: I feel one of my feet touching the cool water, and the heavy cloth of my robe on my skin. I can hear all the forest sounds and the animals that surround me. I can see clearly my intentions, and taste anticipation for the work I am about to perform. I smell the grass, water, and animals.

Symbols: Cerridwen, Fox, Boar, Deer, Budding Tree, Water, Roots.

Story [Intuitive]: She walks steadily through the forest. Already she knows the work that will be done. She has prepared a long time for this moment. When she reaches the designated spot she stands gathering her focus and grounding herself. Her foot reaches out and touches the cool, clear spring drawing from the waters of life. Her aura begins to radiate power and strength. Curious some of the forest animals draw near. The do not fear her, they know her spirit and it is good. Sighing peacefully she takes the wand from her side and places it at her heart. Here she will state her intentions clearly. The other hand gently touches her stomach at her womb. Here she will birth the magic necessary to create change. The wind stirs gently as the magic begins to flow, she smiles confidently...the time has come.

My Experience as the Magician: This card reminds me of spell work. Being a witch I have often used intention to create change in my life. I have also found without focus a lack of intention or direction can create a lot of chaos.

Astrological Reference: For one year and a day, Cerridwen added herbs at all the correct astrological times to her potion for her son. Story below.

Cultural Reference: The Welsh Goddess Cerridwen is the goddess of wisdom, rebirth, transformation, and inspiration. She is often worshiped in her crone form and pictured with her cauldron of knowledge. She teaches us all the power of feminine knowledge, and how inspiration can lead to beautiful transformation in our lives.

* According to the late medieval Tale of Taliesin, Morfran was hideously ugly, so Ceridwen sought to make him wise. She had a magical cauldron that could make a potion granting the gift of wisdom and poetic inspiration. The mixture had to be boiled for a year and a day. Morda, a blind man, tended the fire beneath the cauldron, while Gwion Bach, stirred the concoction. The first three drops of liquid from this cauldron gave wisdom; the rest was a fatal poison. Three hot drops spilled onto Gwion's thumb as he stirred, burning him. He instinctively put his thumb in his mouth, and instantly gained great wisdom and knowledge. So Ceridwen chased Gwion. He turned himself into a hare. She became a greyhound. He became a fish and jumped into a river. She turned into an otter. He turned into a bird; she became a hawk. Finally, he turned into a single grain of corn. She then became a hen and ate him. When Ceridwen became pregnant, she knew it was Gwion and resolved to kill the child when he was born. However, when he was born, he was so beautiful that she couldn't do it. She threw him in the ocean instead, sewing him inside a leather-skin bag. The child did not die, but was rescued on a Welsh shore. The reborn infant grew to became the legendary bard Taliesin. [story source Wikipedia]

Elemental Reference: I see the waters at her feet and the earth of the budding trees and raised roots.

Numerology Reference: 1 - Leader, Independent, Original, Determined, Self Assured, Creative, Ambitious.

Keywords: Creation, Confidence, Magic, Channel, Intention

Possible Meanings: Making one's dreams a reality, being a pure channel for ideas, having the confidence to create change, knowing one's intentions clearly.

Quote: "Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself." ~ Anon

Ivy Rhiannon

Ivy Rhiannon, you are making a great start. I especially liked the intuitive story. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! and Welcome aboard Emily! :D

*edited to add* :rolleyes: Oh I'm so silly we aren't supposed to post all our findings here...just journal them! This is the support thread to discuss the decks we are working with. That's why I was asking if we should start our own thread. I still think this would be better suited for the study group area. Sorry guys!