Cartomancy Reading Circle

Phoenix Rising

Hi all
I thought that since, cartomancy is a bit of a minority in here, and there seems to be a bit more interest in the playing cards, that we could set up a sharing and reading circle.
I realise that there are different methods of interpretation of the cards, so what ever method suits you, shouldn't pose a problem.
I would like to share ideas on spreads, combinations and linking the cards together. Any other advice or tips and suggestions would be most welcome.
Questions and answers, or whatever cartomancy related topics you have could be shared on here as well. Unless of course you wanted a separate thread. So come join the party.

Lucille

Kara

yess!

I'm all for it! practice readings too, or a separate thread for that?

Cielo

Well PR, ever since you did a few readings for me I have been really interested in this! Although I know close to nothing about it and certainly have no idea about how to read playing cards, I would be hugely interested....so I'm not quite sure I would actually be able to join the party as such, but perhaps I could just, in the meantime, be the one lurking in the background, handing out refreshments here and there, until I get a better grip on this?! ;)

Love

Cielo

Kara

site

http://www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

It's a pretty good page summarizing all the basics and some general info, take a look. BTW, at the bottom of the page, the link to part 2 is 'the Wytch of Middling Memory' link, don't overlook it :) I think she still has to put part 3 up though.

Cielo

Oh my, Kara!!!! :D And here I thought I might get an early night tonight, perhaps finally going to bed in time, and now you give me this site?!?!?!?!?!?!? I am going to be here for hours now!!!! LOL!!! Great site, thanks so much! :)

Kara

The entire site is beautiful, and very well done! But her rhymes for the cards are the best, it really sticks with you, lol!

Phoenix Rising

Oh Kara I love that site. It will be very helpful indeed. It will bring some more additional insights to the readings, as I've worked out.
The meanings make alot of sense too, I might need to adjust some of mine...hmmm, my problem I'm easily convinced into another way of thinking. Sometimes.

Phoenix Rising

Tradition Of The Cards

Ok I just wanted to insert some information about the tradition and history of the cards, and what these so called "ordinary" playing cards, that seem to be a bit underestimated or underrated, but ordinary they are not but "extraordinary" as they represent a mysterious relationship with our surroundings, they actually symbolize, numerically, the universe on a vast time scale as well. It is the link with time, as we know it, that gives a clue as to how the cards reveal past, present and future

Days, Weeks, Seasons and Years
Traditionally, the 52 cards symbolize 52 weeks in a year and the 4 suits represent the 4 seasons. Therefore 1 card for each week of the year and 1 suit for each season. The year is Divided into 4 seasons, so too is a day and a lifetime. Each of these quarters is ruled over by one of the 4 suits.

Four Elements
The 4 elements of nature, air, water, fire, earth. Also with the 4 natures within man. Choleric, Sanuine, phlegmatic and melancholic, collectively called the 4 humors. Better known as intuition, intelliegence, compassion and depression

Four suits
Ok we have 4 seasons, 4 elements, 4 weeks in a lunar month, 4 parts of the day, 4 stages in a lifetime-infancy, adolescence, adulthood and old age. The 4 humors.

Duality-Red and Black cards
Duality plays a vital role in our lives as indeed it does thru out the entire universe. So this principle of duality is reflected in the cards, by the colors RED and BLACK. Red is the feminine aspect, black the masculine and have correspondingly opposite attributes.
Duality is a question of balance, Night and day, North and south, positive and negative, winter and hummer, hot and cold, yin and yang just a few examples we take for granted. Therefore everthing in the universe has duality, and cannot have harmony without the opposite.

The 365 Days in a Year
the 365 days in a year are not forgotten either for they are found in the cards in at least 2 numerically disguised ways.
7 of course is the number of days in a week and when this number is multiplied by 52 number of weeks in a year, the figure reached is 364. Add to this one further unit representing the whole pack as a whole and the significant total is 365.
Another instance in which the magic number of 365 is produced is by adding the total number of pips on all the numbered cards to the number of court cards, plus their total value, on the basis of 10 for each such card, and then finally adding 13, the number of cards in each suit. The calculation show, the result is 365

The number of pips on the 40 numbered cards=220
...the number of court cards..............................=.12
...the 12 court cards counted as ten each...........=120
...the 13 cards in each suit................................=.13
.....................................................total......=365

The numbers Twelve and Thirteen
13 cards in each suit symbolize the 13 lunar months in a year, 13 weekds in each quarter and 12 Calendar months plus the year as a whole. Also Jesus and his 12 apostles, Jacob and the 12 tribes of Israel, King Arthur and his 12 Knights, robin Hood and his 12 merry men, 12 signs of the zodiac around the heavens, 12 gods on Mount Olympus and last but not least, the solar system. According to ancient tradition, this originally had 12 planets, one of which was the moon, orbiting the sun.

The 12 court cards in a pack represent the 12 followers or supporters found in all religious and mythological heirachies throughout the ages. The number 13, 12 plus one, plays an important role in astrology and astronomy, as well as in religion and mythology and, whilst there are some who regard 13 as unlucky, the ancients see it as very lucky, "He who understands how to use number 13 will be given power and dominion"
13 is neither fortunate nor unfortunate, it is nevertheless of great importance, signifying a completion of one cycle and the beginning of the next. In the cards this special number is represented by the ace in eac suit, ranking high when it follows the King. it is the first and the last, Alpha and Omega

The Trinity
All sacred and religious text recognized the Holy trinity, Known as the 3 faces of gods. Egyptians worshipped Isis, Osiris and Horus, Celtic Belinas, Taranis and Hesus, Mary, Joseph and Jesus, Mum, Dad and Baby. In the cards this trinity pattern is King, Queen and Jack in each suit.

The Number forty
The 40 numbered cards in a pack remind us of events in the old testatment. Israelites wandered for 40 years in the wiilderness. Moses remained 40 days on Mount Sinai, and Elijah was 40 days in solitued. Jesus fasted for 40 days in the desert. He preached for 40 months and was forty hours in the tomb. Jerusalem was destroyed 40 years after the Ascension.
There are 40 weeks to have a baby, and is said that 40 winks is as good as a full night's sleep. the great flood of Noah, it rained 40 days and 40 nights.

Conversation and the cards
Someone somewhere will always have a phrase that will relates to the cards. When we call someone a 'card' we are paying them a compliment for it shows they have a hidden mystique which is both amusing and intriquing. The Ace is chosen to describe a person, then their ability and expertise is established as a 'ace pilot' or an 'ace driver'.
the 'jack' of all trades maybe master on none, but atleast his is more suitable than a 'knave'. What better advice can be given than to encourage someone to 'play their cards right'? or If we feel we have a few 'aces up their sleeve' or even 'hold all the aces', so much the better for this will certainly help them to 'follow suit' when the time is right and, who knows, they may even 'win hands down'.
to say 'it's on the cards' sums it all up but often in life as with the cards, it is not alsways advisable to 'show your hand' or 'lay all your cards on the table' at once. try to keep a 'poker-face' then especially if you want to 'come up trumps'!

Game of Life
It is said the ancient sages gave the cards a 2-fold attraction. One aspect ws to appeal to man's nobler quality, his search for knowledge and wisdom, whilst the other was to pander to his lesser virtue, a pursuit of greed and amusement. Because card games, especially those played for money, are as popular todya as they were in the days of the French court.
When remembering that the other purpose of the cards was to reveal our mysterious relationship with our surrounding, it is not surprising that even a game of cards symbolizes the game of life itself. this aspect is the opposite side of the coin from that of gambling and amusement, but is always present.
The Game of life is indeed is to "Play your cards right" with whatever hand you've been dealt. If you play the game badly, then you will lose. But if you play it extremely well, thrugh your efforts and determination then you can surely 'turn your hand around and "win hands down. The lesson to be learned from this is that by making the best of what we have been dealt, whatever they are cards in a pretend game or opportunities in the real game of life, we can still win in the end.

NB:firstly i don't want to take credit for the above information as it was from other sources. Nerys Dee in particular. I'm just the messenger. But I thought it important that we could all see how more than a deck of "Ordinary cards these are, and that it contains so much more than we have given them credit for. so well universally designed don't you think?

poivre

"When a true Seeker comes your story will be True. It's as simple as that."

The site is great.

I'll have to study this someday soon.
Thanks for all the info it's very interesting!

Magi

Well said Pheonix Rising, very interisting. And I wan't in on this thing too! Some one pm me & let me know when you get it started!

WARNING: SHAMELESS PLUG FOR A STUDY GROUP

I'm trying to start a study group for Lo Scarabo's Gothic Tarot of the Vampires. If your interested go post in the thread over in the study group forum!! :D